Quantcast

ESPN3/WatchESPN on Next Gen Google TV Devices

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by toolucky52384, Aug 10, 2012.

1. toolucky52384

toolucky52384 New Member

Sorry, I've seen old topics with people complaining about this question coming up again and again but cant seem to find an up to date answer to the question... and I've legitimately looked.

Can I expect to be able to view / control ESPN3/WatchESPN content on one of the next gen (NSG-GS7 or Co-Star) GoogleTV devices?

Google sure doesn't seem to advertise the ability, which to me makes me think it is a 'no' or a 'espn will probably make itself incompatible 1 week before football season'.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The rules are explained by ESPN and I have linked the explanation in other threads. I watch ESPN3, provided by AT&T U-verse internet service using Google TV, first or second generation shouldn't matter, but I can't watch the other WatchESPN streaming sites, those require a paid ESPN cable or satellite TV subscription. Not all internet service providers offer ESPN3 but I can say both Comcast and U-verse do here in Little Rock because I have had both and could access ESPN3. When I do access ESPN3 now, it indicates powered by AT&T U-verse, a similar message from Comcast was shown before I switched to U-verse. If you can access it with a PC using your ISP, you should be able to access it with Google TV. As far as I know, ESPN doesn't block Google TV, just requires a paid subscription of some sort, either from your ISP for ESPN3 or by you to your pay TV provider.

3. JonWillieNelson

JonWillieNelson New Member

ESPN3 is working for me, with the new Sony box, this is with Comcast in NH. Not sure what kind of football your talking about, but if you mean soccer, online streaming sites work fine (liveonlinefooty.com and the like). So there are definitely options out there for watching sports online. Not sure if there is a thread for it but it would be nice if we could get a post listing popular sites that are work with the streaming from the chrome browser.

4. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

This seems to make sense. I can't watch ESPN3 on an ISP that does not match my Charter Cable login info...but if I am home, I am good to go.