Quantcast

ESPN3 Suddenly not working

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by whitenack, Dec 26, 2012.

1. whitenack

whitenack New Member

I have had the Revue for about a year now and have always been able to watch ESPN3. I have the login from our cable company, and apart from the occasional shockwave crash, everything works great.

However, just a few weeks ago, when you would go to click on an event to watch, nothing would happen. Usually, a new window would pop up and you would watch the event from this new window. Now, however, nothing happens when you click on the event. At the exact same time this started happening, I noticed my Chrome browser on my PC was doing the same thing. I was able to go into settings and noticed that my pop-up blocker got reset, so I added ESPN to the do-not-block list and things worked normal on my PC. However, I checked the Chrome browser on my Revue and it still shows ESPN as a do-not-block. I also have tried changing the browser identity from default to generic.

Can anyone give any help?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. I have the Logitech Revue (OS 3.1) and I just tried ESPN3 and it is working OK. I have however noticed the problem that you mention previously. Usually after I try again later it starts working again. I do have a couple of suggestions that you could try:

1) Try going to settings and clearing cookies.

2) Go to Chrome Settings then "Under The Hood". Then in the privacy section click "content settings". Then scroll down to "pop-ups" and click "Allow Sites To Show Pop-Ups".

• Like Like x 2
  3. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear that is an issue with just my Revue, and not a system-wide blocking by ESPN.

I have tried both your suggestions while trying to troubleshoot my problem, but I will try again/keep trying.

4. CatfishRivers

Have you tried rebooting?

One other thing that I can think of trying is going to Adobe Flash Storage settings and clearing the sites that have stored data. Also try unchecking the box that says "Store Common Flash Components To Reduce Download Times".

Good Luck!

*Note: As I mentioned I'm on the previous 3.1 update (my Revue has corrupt firmware and won't update to the current 3.2 update) - so unfortunately I can't say for sure if the update version would be making a difference right now with this issue. Hopefully somebody with the current update can test this and chime in.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  5. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Thanks for the continued help. Yes, I have tried rebooting. Even when ESPN3 is working, I reboot often to keep my app history cleaned out. ESPN3 seems to work better that way. I'll all these things again tonight, but I can't figure out what the trouble could be. Surely the 3.2 vs 3.1 isn't the problem, but you never know. However, I have been on 3.2 since the update first came out, and this problem just presented itself recently.

6. CatfishRivers

Are you having any other issues with your GTV? I would also think that rebooting your router would be a good idea.

7. whitenack

whitenack New Member

No other issues, other than the Netflix outage that everyone experienced on Christmas Eve. I hadn't thought about the router reboot. I'll try that too.

8. CatfishRivers

One last thing that I thought of that might help is - try going to settings and "force stop" and "clear all data" from the Chrome app. If you do this you will lose your GTV bookmarks - however if you have your GTV bookmarks synced to your Google account they will be saved on your GTV that way.

9. fdpiii

fdpiii New Member

same thing is happening to me, i have a cox cable subscription and it DOES popup a new screen for me to login with my cox credientials, then redirects back to espnwatch, but when I click an event nothing happens. it works just fine on my pc. deleted cookies cache, changed suggested adobe and under the hood settetings. this has to be chrome related. any suggestions?

10. CatfishRivers

Just to be clear about something - I don't get ESPN with my cable TV package with Comcast (I just have limited basic cable) - so I have only tested ESPN3 with my Revue. I don't log on with my credentials for access to the other ESPN programming. The ESPN3 programming is working for me on my Revue by just going to the ESPN3 web site and selecting a video.

11. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Yep, that is what I am seeing. I get the popup to login with my Time Warner Cable credentials, then I try to click on an event and nothing happens.

12. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Odd, when I am not logged in with my TWC account, all the events are locked. I wonder how you are able to view the events without a subscription? Maybe it has to do with my location.

13. CatfishRivers

The ESPN3 content is available with a supported internet provider. When I go to the ESPN3 site is says powered by Comcast Xfinity (my internet provider). In order to view the other "Watch ESPN" premium content (besides ESPN3 content) - then my understanding is that it requires logging in (authentication).

I suggest contacting Time Warner and ESPN support to see if they have some answers/suggestions.

Since it appears to be working for me with Comcast - it's possible that this is not a specific GTV issue per se.

The GTV Issue Tracker web site would be a good place to report this to Google:

https://code.google.com/p/googletv-issues/

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  14. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Just realized I am getting an error message when trying to watch ESPN3 in Chrome on my laptop/PC. IE9 works fine. Hmm, sounds like it is a Chrome issue?

15. CatfishRivers

According to this Blog from Adobe (see link below) about their decision to no longer update Flash on android - WatchESPN uses an Adobe Air app for android devices. I believe that what most likely happened is ESPN tweaked their Adobe Air app and also their web application - causing the current problem with GTV devices/Chrome browser. I believe the issue is related to their Flash container and how it interacts with Chrome. There was a similar kind of issue with HBOGO & GTV recently that I believe was DRM related. Eventually it got fixed - so I'm thinking that eventually the ESPN3 issue will be fixed.

I suggest reporting this to ESPN and Google to speed up the process of getting this issue resolved.

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmedia/2012/06/impact-on-android-video-delivery/

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  16. rkwatch

rkwatch Member

Sorry for responding to an older thread... this info was quite interesting as to why ESPN3 sucks on my Asus Cube.
    So, is there another app/browser that works on GTV that use the latest flash so that ESPN3 might work there better?

Thanks!

17. CatfishRivers

No not for GTV devices on the Honeycomb update. I believe the GTV televisions that received the Jellybean update are able to sideload Watch ESPN. But that doesn't work with GTV Honeycomb devices. Your best bet would probably be another device that has a native Watch ESPN app such as Chromecast or Roku. If you have a PC I believe you could use that in conjunction with the PlayOn software to stream ESPN to your GTV.

Have you tried using ESPN3 on your Asus Cube with ethernet? That might work better than Wi-Fi.

When the new Android TV devices come out (supposedly this fall) they might have a native ESPN app. Also the Android TV devices are supposed to have full casting ability - so you might be able to cast ESPN in the same manner as Chromecast with Android TV. So another option is that you can wait and see about ESPN on Android TV when it comes out. Chromecast would be the least expensive option for a native ESPN experience on TV.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014