Quantcast

ESPN3 Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by gkamieneski, Jul 8, 2013.

1. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Lately when watching ESPN3 with my Vizio Co-Star, the audio cuts out while in full screen mode. This happened a lot while watching the 2 weeks of Wimbledon. The quick fix is to reduce the screen to its original window size, at which point the audio returns, then enlarging back to full screen. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yes.

I've watched boxing from last year until April so far, and I've had the sound cut out about 5 times. It seems the longer I play videos the less it happens. But the good thing is that I've not experienced one shockwave crash during viewing of 7 FNF replays. That's a good many hours.

The live programming may still cause crashes and more audio dropping than the replay content. But, I did have the same audio problem on my PC so I don't think it is a GTV related issue. Also the feature that blacks out the ads in replay videos has a habit of cutting out the video whenever the program switches to the studio. Really annoying. But this also happens on the PC.

ESPN needs some work or some apps. It's hard to believe there are no Windows or Android apps for Watch ESPN, unless I'm missing something...

Carl

3. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Carl,

There are IOS and Android apps for WatchESPN, just not an app for GTV. I used to watch this content through my Windows laptop connected by HDMI to my TV and the audio never cut out in this manner.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm wondering after the GTV Jellybean update if many of these android apps such as the ESPN3 android app and HBOGO android app will be able to run on GTV and function OK? Or will it require a special app version for GTV to be built? Any thoughts on this?

5. Carlszone

Hi

The problem you mention is very recent. The audio never dropped out for me on either my PC, Logitech Revue or GS7. Then, like you I was watching Tennis. I believe I went through the whole live video tournaments of Wimbledon, Barcelona, US Open, and Italy. While I suffered a few crashes last year, the audio never dropped out.

Thanks for the info about the Apps...

Carl

6. Carlszone

Good question

I'm hoping the update will make the GTV platform perform more like an android tablet and can't even imagine needing anything special outside of the update. Now, I still see some apps not being applicable because they are specifically geared for smartphones. But bringing GTV in line w/all android devices has gotta open the door to all otherwise compatible apps.

Just musing...

Carl

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Carl yeah I had read that Google wants GTV to become one and the same with android. Plus the GTV Jellybean update will add hardware support for DRM - Google is hoping that this DRM feature will attract more premium apps from content providers to the GTV platform.

The only thing is that the content providers might not consider GTV a "mobile" platform - and for whatever reason they might not want their content running directly on a TV. It's all about licensing & revenues - the same kind of thing as to why there is still no Hulu Plus app on GTV. So hopefully the content providers will come around to the GTV platform. I think if content providers wanted to they can find a way to block their android apps from running on GTV Jellybean OS. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out after the update....

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  8. Carlszone

Yes, but don't forget the upcoming legal battles w/the cable companies and the networks. Courts have already ruled that providers and networks can't choose which form of internet access is allowed and which is to be denied content. It's an either or standard. As the legal process progresses I expect some pleasant surprises coming from various rulings now in appeal. Aereo, Intel successes will point the way for future legal arguments that may set precedents in areas solely left to the providers and networks.

Even in our legal system ya can appeal forever...

Carl