Quantcast

ESPN on wifi...

Discussion in 'Asus Qube' started by rkwatch, Oct 2, 2014.

1. rkwatch

rkwatch Member

I have a very good broadband internet service (>30 Mbps) and have no issues playing ESPN (3) on my computer.
    Now, when I try to play ESPN on Asus Cube, it just struggles all the way..as if I'm on dial-up (lol)

Here is my setup --
    • Router: WD My Net N750 (dual channel)
    • Computer connected via WiFi 5 GHz
    • Asus Cube connected via WiFi 2.4 GHz (as it won't see the 5 GHz channel)
    Anyone have any tips to make this work smoothly?

Many thanks!

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am using the WD My Net N750 also. I don't think the Asus Cube offers dual band Wi-Fi, so 2.4GHz is how you will have to connect although that isn't likely your problem. ESPN3 did work for me the last time I used it but it no longer works quickly enough or consistently enough that I will use it with Google TV. I don't know what ESPN changed that makes the experience using Google TV subpar, I used it for a couple of years and it worked well enough that I had no complaints. I now use Apple TV or Roku, a much better ESPN3 experience with either device.

A couple of things that I believe help, make sure all other apps are closed and available RAM is over 250MB. I use the Memory Booster app available in the Google Play Store to close apps and clear RAM. Even then, ESPN3 loads very slowly and may not play flawlessly. I didn't check again today but the last time this topic came up a few weeks ago, I did, it worked then as I describe.

3. rkwatch

rkwatch Member

What a bummer ha! I have that Memory Booster and do try to clear before and even during ESPN3 stream, but it doesn't help for long!
    One of the main reasons to the this GTV is for ESPN3 and it has been a disaster in that regard :(

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Is it possible you have apps that run in the background and clutter memory? I don't have any side loaded apps other than Wi-Fi Adblocker. As I stated my ESPN3 results aren't great but apparently better than yours.

I also counted on Google TV for ESPN3, when I first started using Google TV about 3.5 years ago, Roku and Apple TV did not have a WatchESPN channel. Both added it, Roku sometime in 2013 and Apple TV this year if I recall correctly. A WatchESPN app was never added to Google TV and as far as I know no Android WatchESPN app can be side loaded and work acceptably. If I still had to use Google TV for ESPN3, I probably could but I am glad I don't have to since it loads slowly and is less than perfect once it does load.

The 2 years of ESPN3 on Google TV did provide a lot of value for me and now I use Google TV for most other streaming services and local file playback so it is still far and away my favorite streaming box but no single streaming box comes close to handling everything I want.

5. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Is WiFi part of your problem? Have you tried with Ethernet?