Quantcast

Eric's Google TV Target - On The Blink

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 10, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Eric's Google TV target - on the blink — paidContent (click for full article)

"At Europe's biggest web gathering in December, Eric Schmidt promised: "By the summer of 2012, the majority of the televisions you see in stores will have Google TV embedded in it."

Now that the summer solstice has passed and summer is in full swing, how has Google progressed toward that goal?"

2. CatfishRivers

I had posted a link to this article in another thread - but I'm reposting it here because it fits with this thread and some might of missed it:

Google TV will not fail again (click for full article)

"Talking about generation one, there were a few key elements and conditions that existed then that have changed in gen two," said Guarav Shah, General Manager for Marvell's Digital Entertainment Business Unit.

"First and foremost, there were only two OEMs using the first generation implementation from Google. The user interface was not as intuitive, and there were a lot of issues with it. I think having only two OEMs definitely was one of the key reasons that gen one had such a short life.

Now there's Sony, Vizio, and LG -albeit with their own silicon-- behind them, and there's a significant number of OEMS coming out that we're working with that we're not at liberty to discuss at this point. Moving from the middle of July through the rest of the year, there will be other OEMs announcing their products."

3. CatfishRivers

I thought this statement from the article in my previous post was very interesting:

"there's a significant number of OEMS coming out that we're working with that we're not at liberty to discuss at this point. Moving from the middle of July through the rest of the year, there will be other OEMs announcing their products."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it becomes reality. A bunch more GTV hardware products would be great! And also it would give the GTV platform more clout in negotiating content deals, more developers building apps for GTV etc. However seeing as Eric's proclamation was far off the mark previously - I'm a bit skeptical about Gurav Shah's new proclamation. Count me in the "hopeful - but I'll believe it when I see it" camp.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I read this a few days ago and of course that is the statement I am interested in, I assume Samsung is one of the others but I don't know and can't think of another likely OEM interested in competing for Google TV market share.