Quantcast

EPG Edit on Revue?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by chopper, Jan 29, 2012.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

Anyone willing or able to edit the Electronic Progam Guide to add Canadian Cable providers? Do not want to wait for a roll our in Canada that may never come on this device>

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nope. There would would require i.TV to support channel line providers outside of the United States. That's where Google sources the information for GTV Search and the TV & Movies app.

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

Funny, if I enter my Canadian postal code on my laptop that service is able to bring up my cable line up just fine. But not GTV as it won't accept letters of the alphabet. The problem may be as simple as enabling the setup of this service within GTV to accept letters of the alphabet. Anyone willing/able to make this happen?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Hey that's pretty funny. I didn't try excluding the spaces in your postal code. Interesting.

I've always said that i.TV was their electronic guide provider because I could find my Provider ID, "TX42500.X" (for Google TV's under channel lineup) and it always resolves to the line up information on AOL's url. "http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/tx/balcones/time-warner-cable/TX42500|X" and since their guide information is the same and is provided by i.TV. I was going to see if there was a valid provider ID for any area province of Canada but it seems that there isn't one.

Anyways, I think you might be able to get a guide working through BuddyTV or some other Android Market app. However, you cannot alter the programming of the fundamental services of Google TV. This is because the boot loader is locked down and we just can't alter anything in the system area. Although, if the system preferences are kept in the fuser space then you can change that.

Grab yourself a copy of File Expert and look to see if your Provider ID or Zip Code are held anywhere under "/mnt/sdcard" directory. You might have to download files and look at them with a disk editor on a PC, but if you can find the file then you can manually edit the data and see if it will work with the GTV current programming.

• Like Like x 2
  5. chopper

chopper Active Member

I am afraid this may be over my head but if someone in the know is able to search for B4N1M4 postal code and find Eastlink Digital Cable with all the bells and whistles then we would be the first to get a correct Canadian TV guide up and running within GTV.

I was able to get this far with file manager:
    my files/phone internal storage/bin/pvrsrvinit
    my files/phone interrnal storage/lib/modules/pvrsrvkm.ko
    " "/sdcard/PVR/pvrUser.ID

If someone is able to copy, paste, view and edit these files to get the guide working that would be awesome.

Personally I will try Buddy TV and see what happens but really would like to see the GTV work around fix the issue for the early adopters in Canada.

As far as getting the provider number besides calling my cable company and raising suspicions as to motive how would one find this out?

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  6. chopper

chopper Active Member

OK can someone tell me if I am on the right track here. I copied these 3 files over to my PC. Next I changed the fake Zip code I am using to get the incorrect channel guide listings working. So now I copy these files over to my PC and slightly change the file names. Finally I used what I believe to be a disk editor called HXD to compare the slightly changed file names with each other to see if the Zip code change would pick up a difference in the files when I ran a file compare. No differences were found.

Does this sound like I am on the right track and should keep looking for DVR files on GTV to compare, find a difference when the Zip has been changed and voila, find the exact location Zip codes show up within GTV?

Or am I just wasting my time?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Okay, so since AolTV doesn't support Kanukland. I decided to fool around with i.TV's provider web page. This is how you find out your own Provider ID.

1. Open i.TV - Provider and input your Zip or Postal Code.
    2. Select the appropriate Service Type
    3. Select the appropriate Provider
    4. Select the appropriate Subscription
    5. Open or view the source of the following web page with your browser and look for the following match, "ITV.lineupId" and next to it will be your Provider ID.

In your case it is "0002097|X" of course provided the appropriate service type is "Cable", provider is "EastLink Digital, Kentville/New Minas" and subscription is "Extended". So, now all you have to do is find the appropriate file on Google TV and change your current one to the one listed earlier. Well, at least to test it anyways. We won't know if it will actually work until you do it.

I'm not sure that sure you're making any sense. First you copy your files to your pc. Make changes and then copy files to your PC again. You're not really making any sense here.

First of all, a little Android 101. While you may be able to copy files from practically any directory. You cannot write files to all of them. The ability to write or modify files is the /dev/fuse partition and that is mounted on "/mnt/sdcard" so you can only write files into that directory or within its sub-directory. The parent and all the other folders are mounted as read-only. Therefore you cannot make any changes elsewhere to the filesystem.

Personally, I think you're spinning your wheels. But, I like you. You are persistent. You have moxie and give off that wide eyed impression that anything is possible. That's a great quality. Don't ever lose it. You'll end up jaded like me and never think anything is possible. And that's no fun. There's just no entertainment value in that. If there's anyone who cares enough to figure it out, it'll probably be you. So, keep on doing what you're doing. Go against the grain. Show the establishment that they can't keep you down and repress you. Just because you don't live in the United States that doesn't mean you're a second class citizen. Don't let a silly little thing like a bunch of numbers hold you back. Go grab yourself a moose, or whatever you Canadians ride these days, and go off into the sunset victorious.

• Like Like x 2
  8. chopper

chopper Active Member

Thanks, I will keep trying. The idea is to copy the pvr related files via drop box to my PC. Change the zip code on the GTV to something else arbitrarily. Copy the prv related files again but now add a 1 after the 2nd copy of the same file which now is on my pc.

Now run a program to search for any changes that result in the files ie file and file1 are identical or there are some differences which leads to finding the hidden setting for zip/postal codes somewhere within the dozens of files which each have pages and pages of jibberish.

You said: "In your case it is "0002097|X" of course provided the appropriate service type is "Cable", provider is "EastLink Digital, Kentville/New Minas" and subscription is "Extended". So, now all you have to do is find the appropriate file on Google TV and change your current one to the one listed earlier. Well, at least to test it anyways. We won't know if it will actually work until you do it."

Now if I am unable to write the potential change back into the code you are saying there is a place to enter the provider number somewhere within GTV which would eliminate all this effort?

I have found and copied .odex and .apk files on top of several dozen other pvr related files in the search for something that responds to the change in zip/postal codes.

Side note: How hard would it be to copy the entire GTV file structure and replace the internal read only memory with a read write memory chip? Is this possible for future hacking ie: Hulu etc?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

By the way, if you're still trying to edit /bin/pvrsrvinit and /lib/pvrsrvkm.ko, I wouldn't bother. Those files would never change unless there's a firmware update. Like I said earlier those files are mounted in a read only partition. That partition is propagated from img files where the Android updates are kept. Even if you found a way to alter them, they would only be replaced by a fresh copy upon reboot.

Besides, you're probably thinking PVR stands for personal video recorder. Whereas it actually stands for Power Video Renderer or PowerVR. This is part of the graphics subsystem. The pvrsvrinit is called when init.d is starts the individual services, where as the *.ko files are "kernel objects" otherwise known as driver modules.

Well, let's put it this way; the configuration results of all the different wizards have to be kept somewhere on the system. This is how the system knows what the preferences should be if the system is loaded from a power off state. If you are able to make a change to the files it uses to return your system to that state then perhaps you have a chance to bamboozle the electronic program guide which Google TV uses into supporting you outside of the United States.

Odex files are program snippets from the Android Package (*.apk) files. The apk files are how Android applications from third-party developers are distributed. These application run in an sandboxed run-time environment on Android this virtual machine is called, "Dalvik". This prevents full access to system's kernel.

Well, let's just say that if you found a way to do it after installing the Android and wwithout a hardware hack, then you will be the first person ever to do so. In fact, you would have done something that no hacker has been able to do since Google TV has been released. And, that's why instead of trying manipulate it, people have relegated into using petitions to persuade Google and their partners to unlock the bootloader.

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

So an .APK cannot be altered or is it just the apk's baked into GTV's read only mem. that can't be altered at present? I found GoogleEpg.apk, MediaProvider.apk, TvSettings.apk, SettingsProvider.apk also most of these exist as .odex. What about the person who wrote an app? How do they alter apk's for updates? Should we have a section for android 101, 102. etc and what rooting means? Should we move this thread into the hacking section as it has evolved into a hack attempt. If read only memory is not replaceable is it possible to copy the GTV firmware and put it onto another device that would be free to modify?

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Okay. Android Packages (APKs) is a file container which holds the different elements for an Android app. It is written in the same format as a JAR or ZIP file, so you should be able to browse through them by renaming them from "*.apk" to "*.zip". This will allow you to use your respective zip program to extract or browse its contents. Dalvik Executable (DEX) files is the actual program created by the Android Software Development Kit (SDK) and is stored inside of the APK for distribution. ODEX (Optimized DEX) files is the result of the installer creating an optimized cached copy of the original DEX file. This allows the the program to load quickly within the Dalvik Virtual Machine.

It depends on the application actually. If the application does not require to execute code outside of the Dalvik VM then the developer can release a "replacement" APK through the Android Market. This is similar to NBA Game Time, although it was included with the Android Update, it doesn't need to run any special code. So, it can be "updated" by installing a replacement APK which is stored in your fuser partition. It doesn't actually replace the original code because that is stored in the read only partition but all links to the original package should be removed when you install the updated APK. However, if the application requires special access to the kernel, like Adobe Flash or Netflix then it will need to be distributed along with the firmware updates.

*shrug* I suppose you can request for a moderator to do that, or you can also hit up the folks at GTV Hacker. They are much more apt at giving you related information about "hacking". I can only give you the technical aspects of the the file structure and operations based on my own tinkering and background knowledge.

Rooting means to gain full root access to your device. This is usually done by exploiting a weakness in the firmware's security or replacing the firmware with customized version. The problem is Google TV is so well locked down, that people have resorted to opening petitions asking urging for Google and their partners to unlock the bootloader.

Sure, you can modify the contents of the firmware all you want. However, you cannot redeploy it back into your Google TV system unless it has been signed by the manufacturer with their private key for the Intel Bootloader Development Kit.

• Like Like x 2
  12. chopper

chopper Active Member

My thoughts tonight are that there must be a portion of GTV that is read/write and this must be where user defined settings are saved. Otherwise I have found some possible epg links to web sites within some of the files I have been searching which may suggest that there may be some external server which stores epg info for each GTV STB which may/maynot be read or write able. So far the spot where zip codes are stored is elusive.

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Correct.

Correct again. Google TV sources its channel guide information from i.TV that's why the channel guide information is the same for Google TV, AolTV, and i.TV.

Don't give up hope. I still have faith in you! You kan deew et!!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. chopper

chopper Active Member

Please help with ideas as to how to figure out what potion of GTV is read/writeable? This would be the next spot to search for the elusive setting. It might be possible an external source reads a unique id for each set top Gtv box and stores zip codes on a server instead of on the box which would be beyond my ability/interest in pursueing for sure.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I believe this has been answered multiple times in this thread, the /dev/fuse partition which is mounted on /mnt/sdcard directory is the only place that the user can write information. Although, I suppose it is possible that there's a system account which can write to other partition/directories. Here is an interesting thread from Xda developers, "HOW TO: Manually backup 3rd-party application settings and data - xda-developers". It may help you in your quest.

I suppose that is possible.

• Like Like x 2
  16. chopper

chopper Active Member

After looking everywhere likely on the sdcard section and finding a unique id on the inner workings of my revue my conclusion is that an external server most likely reads the set top box id and stores zip codes remotely. This box needs to be connected to function. If someone else want's to go after the external server solution so be it. That is where i draw my line.

Cheers to those who helped in this quest to date. It may be that the work being done on the channelscheduler app is Canada's best hope for advanced dvr functionality.

If there is someone out there who knows how to monitor the sdcard real-time while the zip code is changed then there may be a hidden file somewhere that could be revealed.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  17. chopper

chopper Active Member

Should someone find the EPG Zip info within GTV would this app help us edit it to a Canadian Postal Code?

Anyone else want to to a crack at this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sure, if the the bootloader ever gets unlocked.

• Like Like x 2
  19. chopper

chopper Active Member

20. chopper

chopper Active Member

Since I can't get my Canadian Provider to list on this service via a PC, I have to say that I am very disappointed my GTV doesn't have the full PrimeTime and upcoming voice search capabilities. It seems to me that bringing this service to Canada would by all appearances be simple to do technically. Once again I feel like a second rate GTV user and am not sure I will stick around for another box once this one dies. There are going to be too many other options soon.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012