Quantcast

E-Mailing Webpage?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by chicha29, Nov 14, 2011.

1. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Is there a way to directly e-mail a webpage to someone? For example, I'm on www.googletvforum.org , and I want to e-mail that page to someone. Currently, the way I do it is to pull up the URL, cut and copy it, go to mail.google.com, click compose and then paste it into the body of an e-mail. Other set-top boxes that I've used, there'd be a button to click to e-mail that webpage - directly from the webpage.

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a way currently. Someone will have to create a mail client app for Google TV with a "Share via" link. Then you'd be able use GTV Menu > Share webpage > Share via: <email client>. However the only option available now is Twitter unless you have other apps already installed that have "Share via" links.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

As much as the original Web TV gets slammed - I must say that it did have some nice features Google TV could learn from.

• Like Like x 2
  4. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Sony was one of the original manufacturers of WebTV. You would have thought they'd have incorporated some of those features into the Sony GTV platform. Institutional amnesia, I guess. We're doomed, if the timeline (and quality) of upgrades to GTV is anything like those for WebTV after the Microsoft purchase!

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

To be fair. The option has already been addressed by Google by supplying the "Share <object>" infrastructure in Android. As I mentioned earler, there is the "Share Webpage" option in the GTV Menu of Chrome. Twitter already has made steps to make use of this feature, but no developer has created an email client for Google TV, let alone take advantage of that feature yet.

6. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

How do you get to the "GTV menu of Chrome"?

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You'd open the Google TV's Chrome application and press the GTV Menu Button.

[​IMG]

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I must be doing something wrong. When I go to "applications" and click "Chrome" and then the button with the 4 bars (menu button)- all I get is a pop-up window that says "I have no Notifications". Can you elaborate a bit further on this please?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sorry, I wasn't more clear. I believe that is what happens when you open Chrome while the Search/URL bar is present in Google TV with Android 2.1 version. The Share <object> is a part of the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update, and the Share page option is in Chrome.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Note: NFC Tapping is a feature from File Expert but doesn't work because Google TV doesn't have a Near Field Communication chip inside.