Quantcast

DVR's that play nice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by pchafner, Jan 1, 2012.

1. pchafner

pchafner New Member

Hi, just got my Google Tv. $80 or so at Tiger direct. i love it. But i wonder if anyone knows of a DVR that would work well with Google TV? Thanks.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the Tivo Premiere or Series 3 HD is the best DVR to match for Google TV.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Which TV service, cable, satellite, or OTA? I agree with eferz that TiVo is the best DVR but not for DirecTV and it isn't available for Dish Network.

4. chopper

chopper Active Member

Do tivo's work with set top boxes?

5. ChrisG8

If you mean a Google TV set top box, yes.

6. chopper

chopper Active Member

I mean can a tivo record from a cable box and would I need 2 cable boxes to record 2 shows at once in HD? That's a lot of boxes just to replace my already working DVR from my cable provider. Will ask my cable provider to enable my DVR in the manner of Dish Network.

7. ChrisG8

No, a TiVo can not record in HD from a cable box. A TiVo Premiere can record two cable channels at once but it must be used as the cable tuner to record anything in HD. If you have a DVR from your cable company that works well, I think that is what you would want to use.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I have a Tivo Premiere and it replaced my original DVR rental from Time Warner. The nice thing about using the Tivo in place of cable's DVR is that I no longer have to spend any money on their associated rental fees. These fees came out to $18.98 every month and after five years, that comes down to $1138.80. This means I could have had purchased two Tivo DVRs with Lifetime Subscriptions five years ago, and they would have paid themselves off and I would save on not having to pay those rental fees.

TiVo Premiere, Premiere XL, Series3™, TiVo HD, HD XL, and TiVo Series2™ are equipped with dual tuners, so you can record two shows at once while watching a pre-recorded third. Premiere Elite has four tuners, so you can record four shows at once while watching a pre-recorded fifth.

Also, if you're thinking of cord cutting the Tivo, will also let you record from both the Cable and OTA Antenna sources. This will allow you to get used to weening yourself off of cable. Just in case you're not sure if it is the right move or not. I personally found that most of my recorded shows is also available over OTA. So, I've made sure to pick the OTA for recording. Just so I know which shows will be missed if I make the cut.

• Like Like x 2
  9. halox

halox New Member

Are you including CableCard costs? I think I pay 5 bucks per CableCard per month. So, with a DualTuner TiVo HD, I'm paying 10 bucks rental.

Also, what do you do about Switched Digital channels? Do you use that box they sent out to convert them? My SDV convertor box from Time Warner NEVER WORKED, so, subsequently, there are channels that I pay for that I don't receive (like SyFy HD, for example - can't get the SDV channel). Or is there a better CableCard you can request nowadays?

Thanks in advance.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The difference was $2.50 now $2.00 for monthly cable card fees versus $18.98 each month. I listed out the values for the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) in the following forum post, "http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...decline-fall-tivo-media-center.html#post13088", if your curious about the exact numbers. Though, because I was able to use PLSR discount code that drops the overall cost of the Tivo -$100.

That was a little bit of a pain in the buttons. They gave me a Cisco Tuning Adapter for the switched video that I am using with my Tivo Premiere for the switched video channels. It took a couple days to iron out all the problems with it.

Apparently, in order to get it working they needed to have their equipment enabled in the right sequence. Don't remember if it was the cable card then the tuner or vice versa but the person whom helped me originally had it reversed. It took two different people to realize what happened before they fixed it. Then they had to enable something called an "Additional Outlet Distribution" for the adapter, so I'm being charged for an "A/O Distribution Fee". However, because it is my only cable outlet they're crediting me each month for the fee. It sounds stupid but that's how they ended up enabling all the switched channel video for the Tivo.

Anyways, once they got it going it hasn't been a problem. You might want to contact them again and be a little more persistent. Maybe you'll get someone who is experienced enough to get it working.

11. Troublecat

Troublecat New Member

Magnavox MDR-513H/F7 320GB DVR and DVD Recorder

This is what I am using. It programs like a VCR but works good for both OTA and Cable. Has both an analog and digital tuner.

12. ChrisG8

Your in box is full and a message couldn't be sent regarding an unsubscribed TiVo Premiere so I am posting here to avoid having to type it again.

I noticed that TiVo has disabled the 30 minute buffer on an unsubscribed Premiere, it happened with a software update. I don't have a Premiere but read about that change at TiVo Community in case you see others ask. I could check which update resulted in that feature removal and of course it won't affect a TiVo Premiere running software prior to that version and nobody with an unsubscribed TiVo Premiere with the feature would want to update as a result of that fact. I will assume most or all TiVo Premieres available at retail are now without that feature. And even if they weren't, I don't think an unsubscribed TiVo could be set up now without updating software.

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Heh. Sorry about that. I've been getting way too many private messages asking for advice that could have been asked on the forum. I ended up spending more time answering questions in private messages and then rehashing it again later when someone else asked publicly. So, purposely made sure that my inbox is full, so the only private messages I can get is from Forum Administrators and Moderators.

Well, shoot. Don't that beat all? I suspect Tivo is mad at all the people with unsubscribed Premieres and can't recoup their loss. Thanks for the heads up. Sucks though for all the "college kids" that couldn't / wouldn't pay for the Lifetime subscriptions. I guess Ramen is better than TV when it comes to the bare essentials.