Quantcast

Dumping my Revue for the Sony Box - any reason not to?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by alvysyngr, Nov 28, 2011.

1. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

Is there anything that the Revue does better than the NSZ-GT1? I have the Revue unit connected and it works fine but I have VERY little faith in this update (I know it will come, but then what?)

Thanks

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I honestly like the Revue better for the fact that you have the ability to customize and control the layout of the IR commands. Even though Google TV can only control three other types of devices; Set-top box, AV Receiver, and Television, the Revue allows me the flexibility about seven separate devices. Of course, I had to teach the necessary commands of four separate remotes but in the I can control my entertainment center with just the keyboard.

The problem Sony's Google TV implementation is lack of customization. Basically, if they do not have compatible codes for your remote then you're pretty much stuck using the original remote. Even if they have your remote, it is possible certain buttons aren't properly represented. So you would still be stuck with the OEM remote. If you report the problem to Sony's Technical support, their coined response is to the effect that it may be implemented in an up coming patch. I've been waiting over six months for the IR codes for the Xbox 360. Using the Roku is kind of annoying because in order to go "Home" menu, I have to click GTV Menu > Device Control > Home. While the key on the remote for "Guide" does absolutely nothing. It's frustrating after having so much control with the Logitech Revue.

Also, the Logitech Revue is the only Google TV device which supports video conferencing. Logitech included driver support and software support to enable this functionality. That's why you can plug in the TV Cam for Google TV and use the included Logitech ViD HD to video conference with anyone that has the Logitech ViD software for their PC, Macs, or other Revues. I recently finished my Christmas shopping because of this. The Logitech video conferencing platform is the least expensive high definition platform on the market today. Neither Sony implementations have this support.

The Sony Google TV Blu-Ray Player has advantages, since Sony added the codecs necessary to play DVD and Blu-Rays you'll be able to DTS which none of the other Google TV boxes can do, not even the Sony televisions. It also has a faster processor and more storage space; 1.66 Ghz CE4170 with 8GB where as the Logitech Revue has 1.2Ghz CE4150 and 5GB (1+4GB) storage. Though while running Google TV 1.0 between the Revue and the Sony Internet TV, I didn't notice any difference in speed. Another nice thing about the Sony line is that they haven't announced that it is discontinued. So, at least you can expect a little more development support from it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. drhill

drhill Member

I like my Sony box. I like the remote but it isn't backlit (important to all) and eferz comments are all on point. It depends on your setup. If you have nothing but the box and a tv the limited remote isn't a big deal. Add a receiver and now you are pressing your luck unless you use HDMI-CEC (then you may or may not be out of luck as it is a "funny" standard). Add a Xbox and you are cursing Sony for the remote and Microsoft for not supporting HDMI all the way (HDMI-CEC).

Video Conferencing seems really neat, but would you use it? Even if you don't think you would having the option is nice. Personally I wish you could plug a Kinect into it. ;)

Personally I think a google tv device either needs to be in the tv or in a blu ray player, but I watch a lot of movies (and tv) and not that much web only content.

4. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

Conferencing is cute but I'll leave it up to Skype and Google for video conferencing. I loathe the Xbox (since I was banned) and my receiver would be connected via Toslink only so I am think I am good with the Sony. I was using the Revue last night and thinking how sad it is that Logitech just decided to abandon it and how I would probably keep it if future support was at least an option.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have only owned the Revue but have played with the Sony Blu-ray/Google TV box and although I believe I could be happy with the Sony, I prefer the Revue because of the keyboard and the ease of searching for programming using it. Although it was clear Logitech had lost a lot more money than it could afford before I even purchased my first Revue and I did have questions regarding long term support, I still decided to buy two Revues because I believe I will be able to make the product work for my needs as it will be when Logitech can no longer afford to throw any money at it. I do feel certain that time will be very soon based on the huge losses associated with the Revue.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It is probably true that the Sony box will be better and do things the Revue won't do before these products quit working, that is something I believe I can live with.

7. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

well I sold and shipped my Revue - I was really bummed out but the fact that my Sony Box will be here tomorrow and will have the Honeycomb update as well as future support (although Sony is notorious for abandoning old version of hardware) makes me happy. I will keep an eye on the Revue orld though, maybe if prices dip to $50 I'll grab another.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It would be interesting if the Honeycomb update raised perceived value of the Revue especially now that its no longer being manufactured. Sort of similar thing happen to the Fusion Garage JooJoo Tablet. At the point that Fusion Garage gave up on the tablet, you couldn't give it away. There were a lot of auctions that were selling for a penny on the dollar. Then Fusion Garage announced that people who bought the JooJoo during its brief time on the market will get Grid-10s for free. That caused to auctions to sore to three or four times its original purchase.

9. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

If it were open sourced I can see the price jumping WAY up but I don't think you will see much of a demand even when the Honeycomb release is made - btw the GoogleTV meeting is now on Google+

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Which one are you talking about?

11. JerryGPena

JerryGPena New Member

I'm thinking of doing the same, but I think I'll just wait for the LG or Samsung Devices.

12. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

I believe that this will indeed be the case because the Revue has so much potential. The bar is set very high for Samsung, or whoever attempts to do a similar product.
    Revue failed commercially because the released product was not ready for prime time, and then it fell behind in flash support. Add to this that Logitech was over their head with a complex product (the most complex product they have is a remote control!) built on a buggy platform from Google, and you have a recipe for commercial disaster. I believe that all be forgiven once the update is out, but, unfortunately, Logitech moved on and rightly so; they were out of their league.

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Actually, the most complex product next to the Logitech Revue is the Squeezebox product line. However, that is still being developed by the original Slim Devices Developers. Funny you should mention their Harmony Remote lines though since that was also from the Intrigue Technologies acquisition.