Quantcast

Dual-View only works on Cable/Sat/DVR not on other video streams? That sucks

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by nagmier, Oct 27, 2010.

1. nagmier

nagmier New Member

So I have been playing around and noticed on my Revue that I can only Dual-View when watching TV through my Cable box be it a DVR'd show or Live TV, Netflix and the Logitech Media player don't allow it? I don't know about anyone else but it pulls me right out of the "Smart TV" experience when I get inconsistent behaviors like that, I should be able to open a web page anytime I'm watching a video stream be it live or streaming from the internet or my media server...

This is my number one gripe at the moment as I haven't used the keyboard since the first day with the unit I use my phone exclusively and LOVE that aspect its nice to turn on my TV from the garage and have it ready when I walk in the house.

2. gunnerjim

gunnerjim New Member

Agree, this is a function that could be realized with this device. All video streams should be PIP/Dual viewable. One of the shortcomings for sure.

3. goku31640

goku31640 New Member

I was a little upset about this exact same thing. Hopefully you will be able to do this in the future with an update, google is very good when it comes to listening to its customers.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

4. nagmier

nagmier New Member

Yeah I just don't get how this could have been overlooked, I mean ok first of all the idea behind the platform is to allow surfing while viewing, where along the lines was it said "Only when viewing cable/sat tv" ? Its one of those mind boggling things I'll never understand and yes I'm confident Google/Logitech will correct this eventually and as I've said before, such is the life of an early adopter though thankfully we shouldn't have to buy new hardware just get an OTA update and if I do ever need a hardware update this box will go into the kids room.

5. Jabronie Man

Jabronie Man New Member

I'm pretty sure that's going to be fairly tough. The CPU for the Google TV is fairly limited and the Logitech Media player most likely uses a lot of it for media playback. Forcing the CPU to handle that video decode and PIP with the rest of the features running would probably be a bit taxing on it.

6. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Dual view was intended to overlay the contents of the video input with the GoogleTV generated picture. That's a fairly easy P.I.P. task for the hardware. This is early days though, and I'm sure we'll see lots of improvements and enhancements as development ramps up and consumer feedback comes in. I think that what this product does now is just a piece of what it will be doing a year from now.