Quantcast

DTS support in Vizio co-star

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by tinsnow, Aug 18, 2012.

1. tinsnow

tinsnow Member

Hi,

Did anyone check support for DTS in the co-star. Files with DTS can be played using the GTV Box video player. Not sure if there is a native media player app in the co-star which plays video files.

2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Yes, Dolby Digital and DTS audio pass through via HDMI ...

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Dolby Digital is handled but I have never seen the DTS logo with any information or any confirmation the Vizio Co-Star will pass DTS. The appropriate logo would be the DTS Digital Out logo.

4. ChrisG8

Someone with this device in hand and files with DTS will hopefully provide a definitive answer to this. I went back to the Vizio site, still nothing about DTS as far as I can tell. If there is a need for decoding DTS and outputing PCM over HDMI to a display, I see no way, but maybe it will bitstream DTS to an amplifier capable of decoding, even if Vizio hasn't paid the DTS licensing fee although even that is a no no.

5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

VIZIO
    Jul 31, 2012
    +Nick Bossert The Co-Star will have the ability to play MKV files from a NAS, however at this time, there are no applications that will detect and pass through DTS audio .... The above statement is from a official Vizio rep and I stand to be corrected ....

6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

The answer to OP “DTS question” will probably need an actual DTS file testing via Co-Star’s usb and network (many are interested to find out, btw).

However, the Co-Star hardware could be capable to pass-through DTS (& all audio format) signal via HDMI-in thru HDMI-out.

Example: BDP > HDMI > GTV > HDMI > AVR > HDMI > TV

I would think DTS bitstream (& all bitstream audio format) from BDP to pass-through GTV [HDMI-in thru HDMI-OUT] to the AVR might not require licensing. Licensing will be required @ BDP (kind like if GTV was replaced with HDMI-Switcher/Hub) - I’m not exactly an expert when it comes to audio licensing (I could be wrong).

So, If the Co-Star hardware proving to be capable to pass-through DTS ( & all audio format) signal via HDMI-in thru HDMI-out, that will be handy for someone to connect any STB, BDP, DVD or DVP thru Costar and enjoy PIP, multitasking or because an extra HDMI inputs jack is needed.

However, If the Co-Star hardware proving to be capable to pass-through DTS (& all audio format) signal via HDMI-in thru HDMI-out, that does not mean the Co-Star supports DTS files via any media app, streaming app or in-general.

For a comprehensive DTS audio support from the Co-star, 4 main tests need to be performed,

1. Testing a file containing DTS via usb & media app (there are several Apps and they may give out different results).
    2. Testing a file containing DTS via network & media app (there are several Apps and they may give out different results).
    3. Testing A/V signal containing DTS via HDMI-in thru HDMI-out (there are many devices that can be connect to Costar and they all will give out same results).
    4. Testing via streaming app (native/web) that would output DTS audio (unlikely no apps available).

Btw, OP question was referring to #1, #2 or both with the “GTVbox media” app.

Sorry OP, all of the above of no help to you, but had to mention it to minimize DTS & surround sound pass-through confusion (or not) :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ChrisG8

I am sure the Vizio rep is correct which is the answer I expected. If DTS is important, waiting for the upcoming Blu-ray players with Google TV is a good option. I don't know which companies will have Blu-ray players but I would expect all to decode and bitstream DTS so all needed options should be covered.

8. ChrisG8

Good post and I think passing through from a Blu-ray player will work but I would think that has no real value to anybody. If a single HDMI input for both Blu-ray and Google TV is needed, I would wait and get a Blu-ray player with Google TV, then even an STB for cable or satellite or OTA can be used with that box and a single HDMI input and one controller.

9. rock99rock

rock99rock New Member

Just wow.

The Vizio specs site was pretty bare when I ordered, but I just assumed it had not been updated. If this thing can't playback an MKV with DTS audio, it is no better than the Revue to me. I'm slated for a Wednesday delivery and will be testing this thoroughly that evening. I just want Plex to work in something other than stereo :/

10. ChrisG8

I believe this is is the wrong box for that purpose. I think the Sony NSZ-GT1 Blu-ray/Google TV can play those files and also the upcoming Blu-ray/Google TV models should be able to play those files.

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I believe that according to the announcements made at CES in January - Vizio was/is planning to come out with a GTV Blu-ray player and full televisions with GTV built-in. Probably by the end of the year is my hunch.

12. rock99rock

rock99rock New Member

Thank you for your feedback. Silly for me to assume that I would be able to get the same codec support with the newer models i 'spose. I haven't used optical media for 6 years, it would be a shame that I would have to start supporting it now given the problem is only licensing.

13. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

When you get your new gadget, drop few lines @ this (Costar Q&A") post

thanks in advance :D

Update: Firmware version U2.3.1-R is released with support for 5.1 surround sounds.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  14. ChrisG8

Yes, saving on licensing costs, limited codec support, no optical audio output, only one USB port and other cost cutting measures were necessary to sell the box at $100. If it handles what it is designed to do well, that will make it a success in my opinion. I don't think any of the missing codec support will be fixed with future upgrades so I sure wouldn't buy one hoping for that outcome. I think the mainstream user, using it in conjunction with cable or satellite or OTA for internet streaming will be happy but the more advanced needs, including a variety of local files will have to be handled by something more expensive.

15. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

+1

16. offbyone

offbyone New Member

When it was first announced, I got confirmation that it would support DTS passthrough. So has anyone confirmed this?

17. offbyone

offbyone New Member

I contacted Vizio support when they announced the Costar. They informed me that DTS passthrough was supported. Has anyone confirmed this yet?

18. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

In a chat yesterday with Vizio support, I was discussing I had still not received the new 3.5 OTA uopgrade and then the conversation shifted to my inability to open and play certain mkv files (that I previously confirmed were not corrupt) via either Play Point or GTVBox Player. In the end it was determined the four files I discussed were all MKV and contained DTS Audio. The case is still open and I did ask the direct question that if DTS is the only issue I am having will it be addressed in a future firmware update. I am still awaiting a response to that and will let everyone know if the response provides any real info or not. There really is no reason the CoStar should not natively contain the required DTS codecs - this is a media player and DTS is all too common now-a-days to leave it out.

19. ChrisG8

Other than copies of DVD or Blu-ray or HD DVD, I am not aware of any source for DTS audio. If DTS audio is all too common, where do you get it? DTS audio playback with media players is very rare, there are a few but a huge majority do not handle DTS audio.

20. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

Maybe my ranting was unclear. What I mean is with it being common on the platforms you mentioned above and those being the primary source for creating MKV files, wouldn't you want to use DTS as the preferred audio codec when creating/ripping files? Personally I have a Denon Dolby 5.1 AVR with nice speaker setup and with hardware prices always coming down, it seems feasible to me more and more people will be buying or upgrading their home theaters as time goes on so why not have your movie files have the same audio quality as the common DVD or Blueray disc? I know I do. Maybe it is overkill of watching a file on my tablet or phone but when watching on my TV, I definitely want the best sound experience. If the common DVD Player or Bluray Player has the means of decoding DTS, wouldn't you think it would be reasonable for the CoStar and other similar devices to be able to do so as well? Granted there are licensing fees involved I'm sure, but look at how cheaply you can purchase a DVD or BR player. it just doesn't make sense to me that the Co-Star didn't have this native from Day-1.