Quantcast

Downloadable Sony Update

Discussion in 'Sony NSZ-GT1' started by n1nj4Lo, Feb 20, 2015.

1. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Is there one? I just bought this unit for 40 bucks from a pawn shop with no remote but while I was out I grabbed a cheap logitech unifying receiver mouse to use with my dead logitech revue's keyboard until I can afford the sudden illy over priced keyboard for this.

I'm stuck on v2. something, no google play or anything. I wanna get play store back. LoL

Reason I ask is cause it tried to update and then failed, then when I went into settings > about I saw no update option, but obviously pieces are missing and it certainly doesn't look like it's on the new firmware.

Also I frantically clicked factory reset to try and regain access to the system update prompt and am now stuck at the sony gtv keyboard pairing and it won't work with the other two keyboards (1 basic usb mini i/o gear multimedia mini trackball keyboard and the revue keyboard)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I still use the NSZ-GT1 almost daily and don't think I was ever able to get past that setup step without the proper control but I haven't gone through setup in a long time. I use the Logitech K700 to control the GT1 after it is setup, I much prefer it to the NSG-MR1 that came with it. I did notice that an MR1 just sold for $90 plus $10 shipping on eBay, much to my surprise and the only reason it should bring that amount is the setup issue. I sold a spare MR1 not too long ago for a fraction of that amount.

As far as updating firmware from a USB drive, that should be possible but I don't know where to get it. I suspect your GT1 may have some issues but until you can get it set up, it will be hard to know for sure.

3. ChrisG8

Here is that crazy auction.

Sony Remote for Google TV eBay

There were a few others for sale last I checked and I am thinking about putting one up for auction myself but I need to make sure I have 2 left to guarantee I won't get caught in the same situation.

4. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Yea I wonder if the downloadable firmware is on GTVFriends or something. My Revue just up and died, black screen after reboot bug, and I've been scoping out this GT1 at a pawn shop for a year and a half that was originally $120 and I came in today and slammed down 60 on the counter and said I bet I can't have it for this much, after all it's been here quite a long time going on 2 years now. They took the offer, I baited them 2 other times but they wouldn't take the offers then and this was my cheapest offer. haha

As far as performance comparison how does it level up to the revue, faster, slower?

5. ChrisG8

Compared to the Revue it has a little better processor and I believe performance is slightly better. The GT1 handles more codecs while the Revue has better IR control of other devices, is more flexible if you have devices that aren't exactly mainstream you need to control. I much prefer the Logitech K700 keyboard to control Google TV so that is what I use. I plan to continue to use the GT1s I own as long as I can keep them running.

6. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Just found out I had this downloaded Android Root Bundle for Sony Google TV GTV - Demonoid I got it awhile with intentions of using it whenever I bought this unit and it's actually GTVHacker who has the downloadable firmware. First things first and thats to get a MR1 tomorrow I'm gunna try popping a dvd in at first boot up and see what happens and if I bypass that pesky screen.

7. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Just a JVC LCD Tv that has Pip and a DirecTv DVR HR22 I believe, I HOPE Those are in the ir list!!! I got rid of an Asus Cube cause of it's poor IR Support.

I wonder what would happen if I just tried to update from one of those 2 firmwares.

8. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

If anyone wants me to upload all this to my mediafire and share it here let me know btw. I'll be glad to share it.
    [youtube]

9. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

LoL!! Original Sony Remote Control NSG MR1 NSGMR1 eBay Someone sniped me on that last night before the seller had a chance to review my offer. :(

Guess my next best bet is to buy a receiver with the remote, I might get it for cheaper than the price of the remote alone.

10. ChrisG8

I would think the GT1 can control a JVC TV and DirecTV DVR well enough. Good find on the firmware and good luck, hopefully you will get that thing running.

11. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

12. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Anyone have a link to the tri pronged ir blaster? I'm not sure that auction includes IR Blasters and when I bought the Sony GTv from the pawn shop I didn't get any there either, but would like to try a pair of them out.

13. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Were you able to download an update through the USB or root your Sony GTV? I had thought that the root solution for the Sony GTV was patched a long time ago but I haven't been following that topic closely.

14. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

I've still been stuck at the Sony Remote Pairing screen and no official Sony GTv remote yet, my new backup receiver and remote I won for 87 bucks should be arriving this week or middle of next week.

Then I need to get 3 or 4 small usb drives and maybe play around.

15. ChrisG8

I use this triple IR emitter, one each for TV, TiVo and AVR. It is not a very powerful IR signal and needs to be precisely placed but once it is set properly, it has worked fine for me.

Triple IR Emitter Mini Stick on Infrared Blink Eye Cable eBay

• Like Like x 1
  16. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Yes, that's the one I seen last year I wanna say that was posted on one of the GTv Communities and it was listed on Amazon, then after a few os changes I lost the link. LoL! Thanks

17. ChrisG8

The two Sony boxes use a 3.5MM mini plug and the Logitech Revue uses a 2.5MM mini plug, just make sure you get the right emitter, if not you will have to also get a 2.5MM to 3.5MM adapter. The one I linked uses 3.5MM plug unless I have goofed, so you might want to make sure.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  18. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

I think ya have that backwards, looking at the back of my Revue the hole is a lot smaller than the Sony, the sony's hole is about the same size as a headphone jack, 3.5mm that's what the link was for also. I remembered earlier last week going to plug in the revue ir blaster and it was very loose.

19. ChrisG8

Ha, yes reverse the jack sizes. I better edit the post so nobody will read that and be confused.

20. n1nj4Lo

n1nj4Lo Member

Had me confused and I double checked with a standard 3.5mm headphone plug and put it in my Sony, sure enough snug tight fit. LoL