Quantcast

Don't expect any new netflix upgrades... :(

Discussion in 'Hisense Pulse' started by ekt, Dec 16, 2013.

1. ekt

ekt New Member

So I am really excited about the new profile support in netflix. So I tried to upgrade the app. Only to find that the app is not on the playstore on my pulse :( Then I realized that it is "builtin". So before completely giving up I thought I would write to Hisense support and see if there was any chance they were going to release an upgrade. So I sent them a very simple question: "Is there any way to the netflix app to the latest one that includes profile support?"This was their response:No Best Regards,Hisense USA Corporation 7310 McGinnis Ferry RD Suwanee, GA 30024 P 888-935-8880 F: 678-349-0698 Hisense ; Hisense US | TVs ? Refrigerators ? Air Conditioners At this point I am pretty convinced that I will never buy another Hisense product. So I really don't care that they are releasing a "new" pules plus.

2. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I don't own the Pulse or any other Hisense product, but that response is quite pathetic and can generate bad press for them.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

One has to wonder - with their new Hisesnse Pro GTV box due out soon - what is their resasoning for not updating the Pulse to Jellybean? Obviously it will create some ill-will from Pulse buyers if Hisense doesn't update it to jellybean. I'm sure Hisense must realize this. IMO there are 2 possible explanations:

1) They don't want Pulse sales to cut into sales of the new Pulse Pro.

2) There is something about the current hardware on the Pulse that makes running Jellybean 'less than optimal'.

Seeing as how all of the other GTV set-top hardware companies have remained silent on the issue - then one could hypothesize that the other GTV OEMS will also announce new GTV hardware at CES - AND/OR the 'old hardware' really is an issue. The Hisesnse Pulse was one of the worst selling GTV boxes - The Vizio Co-Star and the Sony NSZ-GS7 were the best selling. So it's kind of surprising that thus far Hisense is the only company to have announced a new GTV box. Thus IMO the reason the other OEMs have remained silent involves more than "they just don't want to invest any more in GTV because it didn't sell well". Something's up.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  4. CatfishRivers

I just made an observation concerning the Vizio Co-Star. Walmart is no longer shipping the Co-Star for home delivery (it's only available for in-store pickup). I went to the Vizio web site and clicked to find a Co-Star retailer - the only retailers listed were Costco, Sam's Club and Best Buy.

IMO it appears as though the Co-Star is in the process of being discontinued. Amazon stopped carrying the Co-Star months ago (they only offer it through third party sellers). Vizio is still offering the original Co-Star on their web site and nothing 'official' has been announced yet. But IMO these are subtle clues that the Co-Star is following the path of the original Hisense Pulse and it's on the way out.

*Update: I just looked on the Costco web site and they too are out-of-stock for the Vizio Co-Star.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I wouldn't be surprised if they did stop selling them at places other than retail in-house pickups. Being middleman between Vizio and their baffling return policy can't be easy. The return of defective only units is one of the stipulations, but then they go ahead and treat all units as defective? They hardly did any troubleshooting on my device before sending me to their return & exchange line.

The Vizio Co-Star as one of the highest selling devices is debatable. Amazon sells on one end while Vizio receives returns on the other. As I would never trust a GTV device from Vizio, I trust the sales numbers even less!

Vizio Co-Star and the Hisense Pulse are both pieces of crap that should never have left the factory floor. I'm surprised the OP got even the limited answer Hisense gave. The reason Hisense cannot verify whether the Pulse will receive the JB update is simply because their CSR's know nothing about the device itself. They do not have dedicated CS support for the Pulse just like Netgear. The same CSRs cover a host of TVs & devices of which the Pulse is the least known.

Try it out. Call em: 1-877-465-3566

My call was very interesting...

LOL!!!

Carl

6. CatfishRivers

Carl I agree about your point concerning the returns for Vizio units. That very well could of been a factor in Amazon dropping the Co-Star. However the fact that the Vizio web site doesn't even currently list Walmart as a retailer for the Co-Star - leads me to believe that Walmart is in the process of 'liquidating' it's in-store inventory of the Co-Star (before calling quits). IMO without Amazon or Walmart carrying the Co-Star - the writing is on the wall for the exit of the Co-Star from the market altogether.

Remember when the Logitech Revue 'gave-up-the-ghost' - the Logitech web site was the last place still offering Revues - before 'poof'.

The good news would be if Vizio announces a new GTV at CES. We should know by January 10th........

http://store.vizio.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Co-Star

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/1000...star-stream-player-vap430-reviews/reviews.htm

*From the above Costco link:

"This product is no longer available. Continue shopping at Costco.
    Vizio Co-Star Stream Player VAP430"

7. agape56

agape56 New Member

Sad, I will never buy another Vizio product. It was a total blunder on my part to buy the Co-Star. (I fell in love with the features and did not look at the history and failures of GTV)

8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Agape

It's understandable. Up until the Co-Star, Vizio products seemed to be pretty reliable. At least I'd never heard of many complaints as far as their TVs are concerned. I think the mistake was to try and make a GTV device that was far more complicated than it needed to be. The Vizio Menu was the only one of all the devices I tried where I actually got lost. Each time I needed to find a setting I'd try and remember the convoluted path I took before. Usually I failed and had to open each settings panel before finding the correct one.

That puck like shape didn't help w/heat issues.

I really don't wanna see another Vizio GTV device...

Carl