Quantcast

Done With Revue. Could Not Be Happier

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Betaguy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Betaguy

Betaguy New Member

Well after being one of the first to purchase the Revue, I decided after all of my input, all of my problems with it and after Logitech decided to not support it, I finally reviewed it all
    and said "Nuts"!.. I disconnected last month and I have to say that buffering the event with my Roku, Boxxe and my LG smart TV I never even looked back!
    I looked back over the many months and the Logitech support panels and all of my input and how little of their input brought me to this decision . There are so many other ways to duplicate
    what the Revue does, it seem stupid to keep supporting it. Even Google has admitted they have software problems, and the recent release for a Nexus tablet by Google got good revues
    except for the "buggy" O.S. I came back and started reading the boards in here, and it was the sameo sameo, and the never ending story of the Shockwave problem with no end in site.
    So I urge the diehards , to consider coming out of the dark side, and to take a walk in the sunny side.
    One day, the Revue or something like it will be revealed but I cannot stand the rise in my blood pressure while I wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and wait.

2. guest

guest Active Member

"There are so many other ways to duplicate what the Revue does." Maybe you could clue us in on what those other ways are. I was thinking about the Samsung ChromeBook as being possibly one.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a Flash crash in days, it happens rarely enough for me that I can live with it. I see nothing that does what Google TV does and until I do, I sure won't switch. It isn't as easy to use as Roku and some of the other streaming boxes but it does so much more that the extra effort required is worth it for me. The YouTube app alone makes it far better than other options for me and since I want a full featured web browser with my streaming box, I can't find anything else to consider.

It is unfortunate that the Revue probably won't be fully supported with updates and enhancements and if Google TV doesn't catch on quickly, I don't think any of the other devices will either so I will admit I am concerned about the future. My only tablet is an HP TouchPad so I am not inexperienced with using dead end products in case Google TV does fail to find a market.

I am sorry to see you go but I sure won't follow you.

4. guest

guest Active Member

Something like Google ChromeBook might be the future. Have it connected like the Revue. Need to leave the house? Unplug it and take it with you on the road! Wireless-capable with a laptop form factor.

I don't have one, but envision it as being a step up from the Revue - at some point, if not already. There are adapters that allow the Revue keyboard to be used with the CB. What else do we need? I think the number one question is: Will it work with a big-screen TV? If so, we have our alternative.

Edit: I haven't gotten around to reading the 100+ reviews on Amazon for the Samsung CB, but plan to read them soon.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. srheug

srheug New Member

@Beatguy I finally did the same thing acouple of months ago. I too got one of the first Revues available. I got mine through Dish Network before they were available to the general public. I was very happy with it for the first year. But I have switched over to using my LG SmartTV and Roku XS. I now have no buffering issues while watching movies on Netfilx or Amazon Prime or any of the other channels that the Roku offers and I really like the Chrome Browser that LG uses. The LG SmartTV integrates well wirelessly with my Android Phones and Tablets. The only thing I really miss is the Keyboard.

6. Betaguy

Betaguy New Member

I guess I should explain what I meant. Yes the Revue can do a few things that no one else can do right now. However I just wanted the access to Internet, a streaming device and some of the basics. Some like to connect a lot of different devices or apps to make it do more. But for a basic box for streaming it even flunks that. The Android system is buggy on it. If you go back over the past 2 yrs when it was introduced, some of those bugs are still not fixed. The Shockwave problem still exists even those some members say it hardly happens at all now. My question is why should anyone have to do anything to have it work like it should? It kinda reminds me of the 50s and television antennas. Yes it worked, but if we applied aluminum foil to it, it worked better! Logitech will not support it anymore, let alone reply to any requests. I went back to the Logitech boards and people are still complaining about things that are still occuring since its inception. Google is introducing a 10" Nexus tablet. Read the PC Mag or Cnet reviews
    and it looks great. However the reports say "if only the system in it were not so buggy". I also use the apps on my LG 3D television and it works flawlessly and my Roku also works flawlessly.
    I have no doubt that in a year or so, the product will perform great.
    So what it boils down to is how you use it. I chose to use it for a add-on to the web with streaming capability. Very basic I guess, but I think Google got ahead of itself. This is not a indictment of the Android system , quite the contrary. It works great on smartphones. And to be clear in a year or two when it finally is field-test out, I most likely will purchase another one ! :)

7. Tye

Tye Member

I love reading the different opinions around these devices.
    Back in February I returned my previous Revue because I got frustrated with it. However, after building and trying to maintain a Windows 7 based HTPC I ended up buying another Revue after the 3.2 update. Although *far* from perfect the Revue has proven to cause the fewest headaches when considering its abilities and the need to appease other users in my home.
    (I just wish the damned thing had an updated version of Chrome and more horsepower!!!)

8. googlethis

googlethis New Member

My revue is in a drawer and I now use a Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV box. So much better and faster than the Revue ever was. No problems with Netflix, the 5.1 sound is fixed, better video quality, louder sound etc. The Sony really made me like Google TV again.

9. ChrisG8

Even though we continue to discuss the Revue as if it is no longer being updated, I just got another update yesterday and the Revue is basically at the same level as my first generation Sony NSZ-GT1. I do slightly prefer the Sony, it is very slightly more stable, but I use both without complaint. Updates to differenttiate the second generation from the first generation Google TV were mentioned in several articles yesterday.

10. bidger

bidger Member

:confused:

11. FoFa

FoFa New Member

But neither the Sony nor the Visio have that good of reviews. I hate to trade a wonky revue for a wonky sony

12. kennyinbmore

kennyinbmore New Member

Guess I'm in the minority, I'm still enjoying my Revue

13. guest

guest Active Member

Maybe what's needed, to turbocharge their motivation in pushing out regular updates, is to follow the model that Microsoft used with WebTV - a monthly subscription fee!

14. DCAlexandria

DCAlexandria Member

I love both my revues, I'm not sure what people are expecting?

15. ChrisG8

I have always thought expectations were unreasonable. I am running two Revues and love mine as well. I will concede the Sony NSZ-GS7 is better but I can live with the first generation boxes for another year or two, maybe longer. Eventually some must apps that will only run on the new ARM processors might mean I will upgrade.

16. madman999

madman999 Member

Still working well for me-watched about 20+ hours of Korean dramas this past weekend using the Viki.com and Crunchyroll apps.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

17. toolman

toolman New Member

I've side loaded the revue into a great experience. G+, Gmail, Drive, Drop box Facebook and Google Chrome(after hit and miss downloads) , Gvoice instant messanger, got to get a camera so I can video chat, G-music, printer share, and Plex streaming from PC to GTV. The only thing I don't like is the flash and the limited space on the ISD. Netflix doesn't freeze anymore and nothing buffers anymore. At one point it was really bad, but I knew that was going to happen.It always does with any first gen. I hate that I cant delete Napster and twitter and NBA and NBC news. Even my Onlive app works great. Watched first viki movie yesterday 5 stars. The Redux app is really sweet. I want Social GTV but no more room. I also side loaded some live wallpapers my home screen looks awesome. I got all $99 bucks worth of this POS. lol j/k. BTW Primetime app upgrade is freaking awesome. Now I'm just waiting for the Samsung GTV.

18. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Toolman

Same here. Dude, I had a little trouble w/Launcher pro during the last upgrade. While the Primetime update was being tested, my Revue went nuts. The Launcher wouldn't respond & all my widgets wouldn't load. I thought the end was near and bought a Win 8 Notebook. As soon as the Quick Guide was fully integrated, I tried the Launcher again. Now it works!

But besides that, we also have regained the ability to watch TV & listen to music using the notifications feature just like on the Sony & Vizio units. This is a service I love but would never agree to a subscription service of any kind. Microsoft is the best example of a failed subscription service that locks in users to the point that they eventually find it hard to unsubscribe to. You buy the unit and can't seem to realize that staying w/the service will never recoup yer losses. And every month you are paying for Broadband & an inadequate service.

Too stupid to repeat...

JMHO

Carl