Quantcast

Done with Logitech Products

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by loudo, Oct 11, 2013.

1. loudo

loudo New Member

After the disaster of Logitech's attempt to produce a Google TV product, that has turned into a nightmare, I will never buy another Logitech product again,and I am replacing the one I currently own. Their producing and selling a product that has all the issues the Revue has, then instead of correcting the problems, they dump the product and drop support of it puts a bad taste in my mouth. They should rename it "Crash". Every time I try to download a Google App, it says it is not compatible with my unit.

I am very disappointed with Logitech after their lack of support and bail out of the Revue.

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

Logitech is a new company now. The CEO was forced to resign. They lost millions because of GTV. I too bought a Revue. But I'm not sour. I enjoyed being an early adopter. In all fairness it wasn't all Logitech 's fault. Google is to blame too. Their decision to use the Atom chip and other go to market strategies made the product flop.

I think Logitech makes some of the best keyboards and Web cams and I'm happy with them in that regard.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course we get to make product purchase decisions based on whatever criteria we want. I purchased two Logitech Revues new and used a Revue almost daily for about two years before retiring it. I replaced both with Sony Google TV models and I like those better but if I hadn't found great deals on the Sony models I would still be using a Logitech Revue. Now I just use the Logitech Revue K700 keyboard with Sony Google TV. I also use Logitech mice, other Logitech keyboards and Logitech Harmony universal remote controls so my experience with Logitech products has been great.

If I hadn't been happy with the Revue, I would never have decided to buy a Sony NSZ-GT1. I believe there are still a lot of happy users with Revues still in service although it is clear there have been a lot of unhappy users as well but that has been the case with all Google TV models. In general, Google TV requires too much babying and is too difficult to use in its current form for widespread approval, all four models I own fit that description although the Revue is the most difficult to use for me. I can operate any of the four models I have used with good results for my needs but for anything other than the most basic operations, the female head of household can not accomplish the same.

As far as blaming Logitech for the current state of the first generation Revue Google TV, I don't think that is fair, I think the operating system is too blame and that is entirely on Google. Logitech took their lumps with Google TV and bowed out, I understand why.

• Like Like x 8
  4. edrebber

edrebber New Member

The 1channeltv app is fantastic on the revue. I don't need a cable tv subscription. The revue pays for itself with one month of use.

5. madman999

madman999 Member

My revues are still going strong.

Found another app for streaming kdramas-dramania and soul TV video player. One of the shortcomings of the Revue 's built in video player is that it didn't stream or handle other video types than mp4.soul TV seems to do it.

I did pick up a Favi Smart stick to play with though. It's a single core Arm based stick running 4.03. Much more compatible and trouble free. No need for rotation app. It's about 45$, far cry from $299 for the 1st Revue.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  6. loudo

loudo New Member

I wish I could say the same. I can go to 2 or 3 apps and them my unit bogs down so bad I have to re-boot it. Plus every time I go to download an app of something I want, I get a message it is not available for my unit.

7. madman999

madman999 Member

I side load the apps I need. I don't even bother with the playstore.

I use advance task killer to kill programs in memory. The Google TV implementation is just not well designed.

Can't do much with the Revue so I get away with doing less. It works as a movie player and streaming device. But stuff like Netflix and flash I accepted doesn't work well.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Loudo

I understand yer pain. But Logitech did a great job w/the Logitech Revue. Or as well as could be expected from a device that stood in the forefront of a new and basically unexplored concept in internet streaming devices that used HDMI compatible capabilities in conjunction w/traditional media access sources. It could well have been the flagship of an enormous entertainment convergence. Alas, it was not accepted & was abandoned by the major networks and sites like Hulu. Even using the Youtube app restricts content simply because we are viewing it on a freaking TV!

Logitech built an amazing little unit. I loved it while it lasted. But Google must also bear the blame. Even now the company is changing the name of their product long after it's somewhat still born birth. Android TV has the same hope of inspiring a surge in the market as much as the probability of Microsoft embracing Apple products. It Just Ain't gonna happen. So, you will not buy another Logitech product...Well, I fer darn sho am gonna keep my three Logitech K700 Keyboards that were so well built for the Logitech Revue, they are still selling from a company that are experts in peripherals. Why this adventure into GTV? Heck, I'd a done it!

My advice? Enjoy the ride, change w/the times, and above all, choose yer streaming devices wisely. We don't suffer from Logitech or any individual company abandoning it's products. We suffer from an age where technological advances are outstripping our personal media access choices.

Yesterday Win 7, today Win 8. Whatcha gonna do...

Lol!

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Hi all. been a while since I posted.
    I also still use my Revue. Still works fine for what I use it for (Amazon Prime).
    Sure, I wish things had gone better with it, but that's life I guess.

10. madman999

madman999 Member

Much to Logitech and Google's collective dismay, these boxes will probably run forever or until they die due to an update they issue to kill them.

The biggest problem we may run into other than the limited Ram is that the processor is a weak single core Intel atom.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk 2

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

My Revue still works great - except for the fact that it can't download apps anymore. -;)

I still have the usage of all the original apps (original 1.0 versions) that came pre-installed when I bought it. The Chrome browser still works good. My Revue is about 3 years old so I can't really complain. I was never much into the apps anyway - and sometimes I use the original YouTube & Pandora app which is fine for me. Almost all the time I'm using the Chrome browser. I love the keyboard - and with the current state of GTV I don't see any reason to run out and buy any of the currently available boxes. If something new comes along at CES - I'll take a look at that.

12. loudo

loudo New Member

I purchased a Roku, because I subscribe to Center Ice and MLB TV. No Revue apps for either of them. I can view them through the Chrome browser, but Center Ice looks like early days computer video, very grainy, and MLB locks up after playing a while. I guess due to the limited Atom Processor.

It still aggravates me that I can't download any new apps and we keep loosing some of the original ones, like HBO GO.