Quantcast

Does PrimeTime or Search still work on anyones boxes?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by cenright, Jan 7, 2017.

1. cenright

cenright New Member

I have a new box. I was able to get it logged in and the play store working. However the search / voice search don't work and neither does the primetime app. Are these known not to work or do I have some kind of issue?

2. Travel

Travel Active Member

They don't work anymore, and the Flixster app doesn't work either.

Try the "aptoide" app (which can be "third party" installed from the internet) if the Play Store becomes a problem. I use aptoide instead of the Play Store, because all apps on a typical search are shown, where the Play Store only shows Google approved/compatible apps.

The Google Movies and TV works fine, but VUDU has the latest Dolby audio and HD video available as well as faster availability of new movies.

The latest versions of the native YouTube app won't work, but back-versions work perfectly.

The Sony GS8 is still a great pass-through streaming box, and the native Netflix app is still excellent.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  3. cenright

cenright New Member

Thanks Travel - I might not have been clear with the search / voice search. I was referring to the built in function rather than search inside the app store. I use it mostly for the passthrough / overlay capability on top of my tivo. But I was hoping to use the intrinsic search since the chrome browser on the revue it replaced had become so slow - and the added voice search would have been nice.
    I have it hooked up to customized versions of a few open source apps. It works great for displaying messages from eventghost via toasts and showing an rss feed with overlay news (Overlay News for Google TV - Android Apps on Google Play). Clicking on a news event was painfully slow on a revue - a bit better on the newer sony.

Does anyone know of any good apps to replace the intrinsic search app that responds to keyboard / voice when watching tv application?
    IMG_20170108_110608899.jpg IMG_20170108_105942506.jpg
    I am wondering why primetime does not work - I guess google changed the url / api ?

I guess generally, I don't understand why there isn't more demand for a passthrough device that adds more functionality on top of a cable or satellite box. I guess everyone is content pulling out a tablet / phone / laptop anytime they are in front of TV?