Quantcast

Does Logitech Revue work with a standard TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by matrix2004, Oct 6, 2010.

1. matrix2004

matrix2004 New Member

Please say it does.

2. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Of course it does! Still, I'd put that $300 spent on this Revue, and get a decent LCD/LED/Plasma...that would make the eventual Revue a worthwhile purchase. :)

3. matrix2004

matrix2004 New Member

I don't see any other connections for a tv besides HDMI so that's why i'm asking.

4. alphawave7

5. HamDog

HamDog Member

Standard TV has the equivalent resolution of 640x480. You really can't surf the web or do much on the Internet with that anymore. That's slightly bigger than what you see on smartphones these days (such as iPhone or Droid). That's probably why they're not including it.

6. Karen

Karen New Member

Hello kind people,

If I purchase a Logitech Revue and want to integrate it into my current system without having to EVER listen to the audio with my TV speakers, how (exactly) do I wire it to my system? My current setup uses my stereo receiver (only) for sound from all components. I am not exactly sure how it is wired (I just know it all works from a universal remote).

I have my stereo receiver, an HD TV, and a DirecTV HD DVR. The only other components are a DVD player and an Ipod dock. It is not feasible to connect to my home network via an Ethernet cable, so this would have to be done via WiFi.

How many cables and what kind do I run from where and to where to achieve this so that all work on the new remote?

Do I need anything besides the Logitech Revue that comes with the wireless keyboard/remote?

Thanks in advance.

7. play2fast

play2fast New Member

Some of this would depend on the capability of your components. If your receiver supports a digital optical cable connection you could connect it that way. It may also be able to connect it using the HDMI output on the Revue to a HDMI input on the receiver and then from the HDMI output on the receiver to the TV. This depends on whether the Revue allows pass-thru of HD audio and if your receiver is able to decode it.
    Another alternative is if your TV has audio out. If so, you can connect it to your receiver and turn the TV speakers off.

8. its.mike

its.mike New Member

Just use an HDMI, to Component cable both are digital connections so you lose no quality.

9. Karen

Karen New Member

I have available HDMI ports on the "receiver" (I presume you mean the DirecTV receiver, and not the stereo receiver). The DirecTV receiver must already be HDMI cabled to the TV and (either optical or component) cabled to the stereo receiver. Would I HDMI cable from the Revue to the DirecTV receiver only, or does the Revue have to be also cabled to the stereo receiver and to the TV? The cable/connection part of these kinds of installations (between and with existing equipment) always confuses me. Perhaps if I understood what components the Revue had to be cabled to in order to work, I could figure out the cables themselves. All I am doing is adding the Revue to the existing stereo + DirecTV + TV setup. Nothing ever seems to be published for these types of components. It always just says something like "use the appropriate cable and plug it into your TV". This is obviously not sufficient, as the TV itself is basically (for my setup) a monitor, no? I don't want to spend $300 on something I can't figure out how to connect appropriately. You say that "This depends on whether the Revue allows pass-thru of HD audio and if your receiver is able to decode it." Where do I ask the question if the Revue allows pass-thru of HD audio, and where do I ask the question if my receiver can decode it?

10. HamDog

HamDog Member

Karen, just to clarify, you state you have a stereo receiver. That means you don't have a surround sound system, but you only have two speakers, correct?

If the above is correct, your stereo receiver doesn't have any digital inputs, so you can't use the optical output of the Revue for sound. I'm presuming your DirecTV box is hooked up to your TV via an HDMI cable and your TV's sound output is hooked up to your receiver by regular 2-channel RCA cables (it could also be the DirecTV's stereo output is hooked up directly to one of the receiver's inputs).

Here is what you should do: Connect the DirecTV's HDMI output to the Revue's HDMI input (instead of it going directly into the TV). Then hookup the Revue's HDMI output to the TV's HDMI input (where the DirecTV plugged into the TV.) That's it. Turn everything on and see if you get sound. Worst case scenario is that you'll have sound from your DirecTV like usual, but no sound from the Revnue box (this is because the DirecTV probably has it's stereo outputs hooked up to the receiver directly). If you don't have sound from the Revue box, then hook up a pair of RCA cables from your TV's stereo output to one of the input's of your stereo receiver. Then that should solve it.

Ok, the above may sound complex initially, but we can't guide you directly since we're not sure how your current system is hooked up. But it's actually really easy. If you can, give us more info, such as model of Receiver and it would really help if you could take a picture of the back of your DirecTV receiver and TV.

• Like Like x 2
  11. HamDog

HamDog Member

Looks like my last message crossed before your last post came through. To make things simple, look at the back of your DirecTV box. How many cables are coming out of it? I presume at a minimum one for power, and one for HDMI (I'm presuming it's HDMI or a 3-in-1 cable called component which has colors - green, blue & red which takes the place of HDMI). Is there also another pair for sound (called RCA cables)?

• Like Like x 2
  12. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

IS there such a thing as a HDMI to composite or SPDIF to composite? That would work.

13. alphawave7

For only $34.27 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Component (YPbPr) & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter | Component (YPbPr) to HDMI Converters

For HDMI to COMPONENT (retains 720p HD). The issue I have with the GTV NOT having it mostly principle, and mainly lies in the fact 'HDMI Only' shows Google was heavily influenced by the industry to force us into HDMI, where they have the control, not end users. I've been contemplating another STB to compress video on-the-fly into h.264(avchd) vids (Hauppage HD-DVR) I can play on my phone/tablet/HDTV, and HDMI prevents such 'fair-use' activity, unless something has changed I don't know about. :)

14. Karen

Karen New Member

HamDog,
    Gosh, thank you for all this. It is making more sense now. I will compile a list of all my components. I DO have surround sound (four speakers in the ceiling, plus the woofer? (big floor vibrator thing) in the cabinet) and I will get you the make/model #'s and photos. The problem (at least for me) is that all this stuff is in a built in cabinet with short cables. If you take anything out, you have to remove all the cables to see the back, but I am certain I have the owners manuals. The TV weighs a couple of tons and I can't get to the back of it (just the front input array). Whenever anyone uses the term "receiver" it always confuses me. I don't know if they are speaking of the audio (or is that called an amplifier?) or the satellite box. Anyway, thanks again, and I will get back to you with the list, and as much as I can determine how it is cabled at present. Plus I have a cruddy WiFi thingy (router?). Will get you that info as well.

15. alphawave7

Howdy Karen!
    Receiver is an interchangeable term. Interestingly, 'receivers' came from the days when they received am/fm radio (radio receiver)...but these days the term still applies (HiFi ,HT or AV Receiver) as they are often now the control hub of all your other components, and 'receive' all of the input/output cables. I suppose the term stuck to satellite boxes as well, since they 'receive', decode, and output the satellite signal. 'Amplifier' typically refer to any electronic equipment the applies gain to a desired output..in this case audio, to enhance or add/attenuate volume. Even those old radio receivers required amplifiers. :) We'll get you sorted once we discover the connections your AV Receiver possesses.

• Like Like x 2
  16. HamDog

HamDog Member

Not sure if I'm convinced the use of HDMI only is a Google rule or was it chosen by Logitech. Let's not forget Google TV is basically software and manufacturers get to incorporate it into their own hardware. We'll have to wait and see what other manufacturers use when they come out with their own units.

I know this is a long battle between videophiles, but I see a better picture on my TV when I connect my DirecTV receiver via component cables rather than HDMI. Maybe it's just my imagination. But I hooked up everything via component.

17. Karen

Karen New Member

Thank you both, HamDog and alphawave7,

I hope all this below helps you help me with my “issues”.

Goals – use surround sound only (not TV speakers), hook up Revue without additional cable(s) to rear of TV (if possible), get better WiFi reception (not that great when using Roku). I am willing to purchase a new router. “N” type? Dual band? Recommendations?

WiFi: ~ 75’ from A/V equipment – 2 wire DSL router from CenturyLink (provider).

A/V equipment:
    5 ceiling speakers (3 front, 2 rear)
    Cabinet 1: subwoofer + Marantz SR5001 Surround Receiver + Marantz DV4001 DVD player
    Cabinet 2: DirecTV HD DVR HR22-100 + Roku * + Marantz universal Ipod dock
    Upper open cabinet: Mitsubishi DLP TV WD-65733 + remote eye
    Logitech Harmony universal remote

Link to Marantz SR5001 rear:
    Marantz America | SR5001 XM Ready Surround Sound Receiver
    Link to DTV HD DVR HR22-100 rear:
    DirecTV's HR22 HD DVR filtering out -- Engadget HD

I did not include a link to the back of the behemoth TV since I can’t get to it anyway. There is an array of ports on the front panel if I absolutely have to plug something else into the TV until I can get a crew to help me move it in and out.

The cables connected to the back of the DTV DVR:
    Two coax in (from dish), the power cord, the RJ11 phone cord, HDMI cable in the HDMI port (center bottom) to TV, a double (red and yellow) fat blue composite cable. In the array of 9 ports (3 across, 3 down), the yellow plug is in the very center port, and the red plug is in the port just to the right of it. This goes toward the surround receiver (but I can’t get to the back of that without unplugging everything).

It sounds like (from your earlier post) that the Revue will HDMI to the TV, and the DTV DVR will HDMI to the Revue. If that is the case, can I unplug the current HDMI from the DTV DVR and plug it into the Revue, then use a new HDMI to go from the Revue to the DTV DVR? If this is correct, the only things left would be the sound (if I don’t get any), and getting a better WiFi connection.

I welcome all advice on getting sound – if needed (the back of the SR5001 is daunting), and how to beef up the WiFi.

*Roku: Not hooked up to anything. I use cables to the front panel of the TV when I use it, since I could never figure out how to hook it up properly. I assume this will be replaced by the Revue anyway.

Thanks, guys!
    Karen

18. HamDog

HamDog Member

Karen, there are multiple ways your components can be hooked up. Without seeing exactly what wire goes where, there are assumptions that we have to make. If my assumptions are right, there are some errors in the way your system is hooked up already. I'll address those after the following paragraph.

If you're happy with the way everything works now and just want to add GTV (Google TV), here is what you need to do: 1. Disconnect the HDMI cable from the back of your DirecTV receiver and hook it up the GTV's HDMI output. 2. Using the new HDMI cable that comes the GTV, hook up GTV's HDMI input to DirecTV's HDMI output. Doing it this way, you won't need to move your big television to access it's back. 3. Disconnect the two wires (Yellow and red which is used for analog sound) from the back of your DirecTV receiver and hook it up to GT's audio output. That's it!

Now lets visit the "issues" with your current system. You have a nice Marantz surround sound receiver, but you're not using it to it's capabilities. Since you currently have your DirecTVs analog sound output going into your Marantz (the yellow and red cable you mentioned). This means the best sound your Marantz can produce is the old Dolby Pro Logic sourround sound and not the latest Dolby Digital which is far superb to the old Dolby Pro Logic. Maybe your installed did it this way because you only have 4 speakers (excluding the subwoofer). I'm presuming your 4 speakers are two in the front and two in the rear. A proper surround system has to have a center speaker as well. Most of the sound comes out of the center speaker when watching TV or a movie.

Some surround sound receivers have the capability of providing a "phantom" center channel if you don't actually have a center speaker. This is where the center sound is sent to the front right and left speaker with special effects to make it sound like you have a center channel. And some receivers only allow this to happen in the analog domain, not digital. So this may be the reason your system uses the analog sound outputs from your DirecTV receiver instead of the superior digital outputs.

Please note I've made some assumptions in writing the above. I really think your system could sound vastly better with the addition of a center channel speaker.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Karen

Karen New Member

HamDog,
    I revised my initial statement of four speakers in my last post. I have two rear speakers and three front speakers, so I do have the fifth speaker. I don't know why the installer hooked it up the way he did, but I think it is because the original installation had a different DTV DVR, and the DTV guy just used what was there when he installed the newer DTV DVR (they changed out dishes and everything a couple of years back). However, when following the link that shows the back of the Revue, I noticed that there are no composite jacks. Optical is the only option for sound (correct me if I am wrong). I have an optical cable (somewhere). Does it matter which of the two optical in jacks on the back of the SR5001 that I plug it into? Will this improve on my sound quality from DTV and (ultimately) GTV?

To answer your question about being happy with the way it works - NO! The reason I say this is that I have amazing sound when watching a DVD only. Anything that comes from DTV kinda sucks (but is better than the TV speakers). What are the 'superior digital outputs' you speak of? And will it even matter if my only option is optical from the Revue (the audio out from the DVR being eliminated).

Any thoughts on a beefier WiFi?

20. alphawave7

(Apologies to Karen for the brief hijack!)
    I agree HamDog, but also consider Google *could* have spec'd component in/outs, after all their 'name' is in the STB, even if it is the 'Logitech Revue'. I think the HDMI-only is a kowtow to the studios to secure content partners...which I think is what this box needs the most. :)