Quantcast

Does it keep on streaming or does it stop automatically?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Jamon47, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jamon47

Jamon47 New Member

Lets say I'm watching a movie with the NSZ-GS7 from an Internet site using the Chrome browser. If someone changes the TV input from the GS7 to the Blu-ray reader will the GS7 recognize that it is not displaying the movie on the TV screen anymore and automatically stop streaming the movie or will it keep on streaming?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

It'll keeeeep on streaming :)

3. Jamon47

Jamon47 New Member

HUMMM that's what probably happened last weekend!

On the same theme:

If the GS7 is not finished with the streaming and someone turns it off in Quick Start Mode (standby)... does it keep on streaming (I guess nooot)?

If the GS7 is not finished with the (Chrome) streaming and someone opens an other Chrome window and starts an other streaming, does the first streaming still go on and compete for the bandwidth with the new one?

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

[FONT=&amp]a. No (stops) - regardless if "Quick Start Mode" enabled or disabled [/FONT]"

b. No (stops)

5. Jamon47

Jamon47 New Member

That's good news!

I often listen to 2 or 3 live radio sites on Chrome and toggle between them so it's good to know that only the active window is streaming at a time and that when I toggle to an other one the previous one automatically stops streaming.

To do this I often go to the Chrome's MENU and click on WINDOWS to toggle between those listed or click on RECENTLY CLOSED windows to reactivate one. So I often have to bring the MENU/WINDOWS menu on. Is there a shortcut to do that faster? BTW (Ctrl + D) is not doing that.

6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Jamon

An easier way is to bookmark to home screen. The shortcuts should show up when you click the search button and input the first letter of the site. You can also edit the bookmark so that all yer radio stations show up under one letter.

Carl

7. Jamon47

Jamon47 New Member

They are already bookmarked to the app screen. I would initially run (lets say) 3 live radio sites by clicking their bookmarks from the app screen. When I want to toggle between them I go to MENU/WINDOWS because they are already loaded in their respective window (session). If I go back to the app screen to toggle this will fire new sessions... much slower... or am I missing something!

8. Carlszone

No, you're not missing anything. You're quite right. Another way would be to use Ctrl w/the Right/Left directional keys. This should allow you to toggle through the windows without needing to hit Menu each time. If you've been navigating in Chrome then Menu + H is your best bet.

• Like Like x 2
  9. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^^^
    +1

(within Chrome) press "Menu" + "H" = history :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jamon47

Jamon47 New Member

Thanks revue5 and Carlszone, your 2 shortcut suggestions do save time.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jamon47

Jamon47 New Member

Well something "strange" just happened.

About 3 hours ago my wife and I were listing to music from a radio site in a Chrome session on the GS7 with the TV on. We decided to go out so I turned off the TV with the GS7 remote and then turned off the GS7. Both the TV and GS7's panel lights went off.

When we came back I turned on the TV with the TV remote. Before I had time to grab the GS7's remote to turn on the GS7 ... I could hear the music on the TV from the same radio site we were listening to 3 hours earlier... but the GS7 was still off !!

I then turned the GS7 on and click on Chrome/Menu/Windows to confirm that the radio site was in fact still active. I closed the session, the music couldn't be heard anymore. I reactivated the same radio site and the music came back.

I repeated the same process: turned the TV off than turned the GS7 off (music stops), than turned the TV back on and the music came back, with the GS7 still off. I repeated the same process a third time and exactly the same result.

I then closed the music site session and opened an other music site window and tried the same process but this time the music could not be heard with the GS7 still off.

The problem with that "unpredictable behavior" is that when my wife and I went out for few hours with the GS7 TURNED OFF it was most probably STILL STREAMING from the radio site. So if we had been gone for the weekend it would probably have streamed non stop for 48+ hours WHEN STILL TURNED OFF !!

I am missing something?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  12. Carlszone

Hi

The best I can tell from your description, the music file was paused because you did not back out of Chrome before turning the device off. The unit was not continually streaming, but simply cached the media file. Once you turned the unit on the streaming was engaged. This behavior is more like a computer than a GTV device. It is actually a plus if you can do that. To completely exit a media file you should back out of chrome or close the window.

The closest I've come to this is when using the youtube app. After watching TV for a few hours, when I hit back the youtube video will be paused at the place I left off and can be continued by hitting play.

Unless this is a one time glitch, it sounds like a cool feature to me...

Carl

13. Carlszone

If you turned on the TV first, then yes, the media file was still streaming. There's no real harm as most internet devices never really turn themselves off. They just go into standby mode. W/the Logitech Revue there is no off feature. It is always on unless I unplug it. These devices us so little power that you will hardly notice it on yer electric bill.

My DVR works the same way. The last channel will continue to load the program for hours. When I turn the cable box on I can go back 4 or 5 hours and view the channel programs since I last turned it off. Really cool for catching up on breaking news. But the programs cannot be recorded. Once I change the channel the program data is erased.

Carl

14. Jamon47

Jamon47 New Member

The music we were listening to was from a live radio show. So 3 hours later we were listening to an other segment of the live show from that radio station. So how probable is it that "the music file was paused because you did not back out of Chrome before turning the device off. The unit was not continually streaming, but simply cached the media file. Once you turned the unit on the streaming was engaged."? Could a live streaming resume on the GS7 from a 3 hour "pause" just by turning the TV on with the TV's remote, without turning the GS7 on (its panel light was still off)? I understand that with the Quick Start Mode the GS7 is not really fully turned off but how would it know to "wakeup" and reengage the live streaming without any user intervention from the GS7's remote? Or has it been continually streaming?

YourYouTube example seems to me like a video file which can be paused and reengaged later, like a DVD in a DVD player can be paused and restarted later.

15. Jamon47

Jamon47 New Member

Unfortunately I do not understand what you mean by "If you turned on the TV first, then yes, the media file was still streaming."

My concern is not with the GS7's electricity bill but with the potential extra costs from Comcast for going over my monthly data limit for downloads and uploads.

16. Carlszone

As I said, if the live stream was still playing, then it was streaming all along. When I first answered I missed the part where you said that you turned on the TV first. Evidently, turning the unit off did not disengage the live stream. But backing out of the site should work. An easy way to tell is to check your notifications feature. If a media file is still active that is where you should find it. Normally w/apps like Pandora/Slacker Radio the music will still be active until you close the app. But it will pause. You can start it back up via notifications without opening the App. That's how I listen to music while watching TV on the Revue.

I'm curious what site you were listening to. It sounds like your unit treated it as an app.

My curiosity is a bit self-serving as I'm looking to upgrade soon...

Carl

17. Carlszone

Simply streaming from a live broadcast will not impact yer data limit. You can go on the Comcast site and view how much data you've used. I leave music streaming for hours at a time and my usage is minimal.

Btw, most sites will interrupt a stream that has been playing too long and ask if you are still there. No answer and the stream stops.

All I'm saying is ya might find a positive use for this feature...

Carl

18. Carlszone

Hi

Checking Data Usage should be found in your internet account options:

Usage Period :
    01/01/13 - 01/31/13

Days Left :

Allowance 200.00 GB
    Used 42.37 GB
    Left 157.63 GB
    Percentage Used 21%

My device is always on. I leave it streaming music as a security measure when I'm away from my apartment as we've had a few burglaries here. I also play music all night. Most folks get in trouble w/Comcast because they don't properly secure their wifi. Folks piggybacking on yer broadband causes the high usage rates that take em over the limits.

Just saying...

19. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Ok. :rolleyes:

(assuming sound from TV speakers)

Try this,

1. Stream music from the same "radio site" then only turn OFF GS7 (leave TV On), do you hear sound?
    2. Stream music from another "radio site" then only turn OFF GS7 (leave TV On), do you hear sound?
    3. Stream music from "Pandora" (if you have an acc) then only turn OFF GS7 (leave TV On), do you hear sound?
    4. Stream video from "YouTube" then only turn OFF GS7 (leave TV On), do you hear sound?

Go to GS7 settings and disable "Control for HDMI" (if its not already Off) and re-try step 1, 2 ,3 &4.
    Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Control for HDMI > OFF​

Could you also post this setting? (Unit auto power off)
    Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Unit auto power off > ??? ​

btw, what TV make/model?

20. Jamon47

Jamon47 New Member

Thanks Revue5

As I mentioned yesterday I experienced an "unpredictable behavior" from the GS7 because when I selected a different radio site the sound could not be heard with the GS7 turned off.

(assuming sound from TV speakers)

The sound is from the speakers of my 2 year old LG 47LD520 (LG 47LD520: 47 inch Full High Definition 1080p 120Hz LCD TV | LG USA):

Try this,
    1. Stream music from the same "radio site" then only turn OFF GS7 (leave TV On), do you hear sound? NO
    2. Stream music from another "radio site" then only turn OFF GS7 (leave TV On), do you hear sound? NO
    3. Stream music from "Pandora" (if you have an acc) then only turn OFF GS7 (leave TV On), do you hear sound? I DO NOT HAVE AN ACCOUNT
    4. Stream video from "YouTube" then only turn OFF GS7 (leave TV On), do you hear sound? NO

Goto GS7 settings and disable "Control for HDMI" (if its not already Off) and re-try step 1, 2 ,3 & 4.

Settings >Unit settings > HDMI settings > Control for HDMI > OFF IT WAS ON, I CHANGED IT TO OFF

STEP1 NO

STEP2 NO
    STEP4 NO

Couldyou also post this setting? (Unit auto power off)

Settings >Unit settings > HDMI settings > Unit auto power off > ??? IS OFF

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013