Quantcast

Does HBO GO Still work with Google TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 16, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi all. Some people are reporting that HBO GO isn't working on their GTV device. One user received an email from HBO GO support telling him that they no longer support the Flash version used in GTV. I looked on the HBO GO help section and it says that they support Flash 10.2. GTV has Flash 10.2 - so my hunch is that this isn't related to HBO GO switching to Flash 11. I don't subscribe to HBO GO so I can't test it. If you subscribe to HBO GO please post and tell us how HBO GO is working and what GTV device you are using. Thank you.

Issue 85 - googletv-issues - Flash update!!!!! - Google TV Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

From the above link:

"-- Yesterday (25 hours ago) #21 feo...@gmail.com
    From HBOGO support... "Google TV's browser no longer supports the Adobe Flash Player that is used by HBO GO"

-- Today (8 hours ago) #22 sirka...@gmail.com
    Yep confirmed hbogo no longer works."

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. Travel

Travel Active Member

I just tried it. It doesn't work. Log-in worked, the pages all worked as far as before clicking to actually play a movie, etc. When I tried to play a movie, series episode or even a movie preview, I got the same error message on a blank screen" "Optimizing vIdeo Ouality" and a "load circle" that doesn't stop; the page just stays blank with the load circle spinning.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

Bummer. Thanks for your input.

4. Peacefrog67

Peacefrog67 New Member

Yes also getting the "Optimizing Video Quality" and nothing is working.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CatfishRivers

6. CatfishRivers

This could be just a shot in the dark - but can somebody with an HBO GO subscription try going to the GTV Adobe Flash Settings and then the "Global Storage Settings Panel" - from there uncheck the box that says "Store Common Flash Components To Reduce Download Times".

I have had that little trick fix incompatible web sites on my Revue such as NFL Rewind and a few other sites that use the "Neu Lion" Flash platform. I'm thinking that HBO GO still uses Flash 10.2 - at least that's what their web site currently says. So it's probably worth a try.

7. CatfishRivers

If you have a desktop computer you can use Playon to access HBO GO via your GTV:

PlayOn: Watch free online movies, shows, live sports from like Hulu, Netflix, Comedy Central, PBS on your TV with your Wii, PS3, Roku, Xbox, and more. | PlayOn

Also with a desktop computer and a GTV device I'm thinking that you can probably fling HBO GO content to your TV (via your GTV) with the "Chromemote" Chrome extension. I don't have a computer to test it to confirm - but it's probably worth a try because Chromemote is free:

Chromemote - The Google TV Remote Control for Chrome

* If somebody tries the Chromemote extension to fling HBO GO to your GTV device - please post about your experience with it. Thanks....

8. CatfishRivers

Interesting ...... Somebody posted on the Google+ thread that HBO GO currently works with his first generation Sony GTV device - but not on his second generation GTV devices:

Thomas Ally7:22 PM (edited)
    "It's funny that hbogo works great on my generation one Sony Google television yet refuses to work on my newer Hisense Pulse."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well at least we know now that HBO GO is still using Flash 10.2.

9. Travel

Travel Active Member

i just unchecked ""Store Common Flash Components To Reduce Download Times" in the Revue "Under the Hood" flash settings and had the same result on HBOGO: the "Optimizing Video Quality" error message with the spinning load circle again.

I don't think the HBOGO site-techs are enterprising enough to add a "your browser isn't supported," or "upgrade your Flash version" message.

It's definitely "app time" for cable premium movie sites, as far as GoogleTV users are concerned. Once again, we'll see what happens with the Jelly Bean update.

I have FiOS with a free year of HBO and Cinemax, but I'll drop these premium movie add-ons if I have to pay for it. I already have Netflix with the Revue, and when I get the GS7 or GS8 with the Amazon streaming movie app in HD, that should take care of movie content; can always rent a "don't miss" movie like another "Gladiator" or something here and there in the Google Play Store, etc.

I've had all the cable premium movie channels over the years and, when it all comes out in the wash, Netflix has much better content overall. The cable premium movie channels throw you a few bones in "new movies", but mainly run the same crap over and over again, and save past movies of any quality for the PPV section.

• Like Like x 2
  10. CatfishRivers

Ok thanks for trying. By the way what GTV device did you test HBO GO with? From your post I'm thinking that it's the Revue?

11. conq

conq New Member

I thought it was just my box (Vizio Costar) that was playing-up with HBO Go - I'm glad/unhappy that it isn't. It was strange because the same day that Google TV stopped working I tried accessing HBO Go from Chrome on my PC and it wouldn't work there either. I thought it was just a problem with the HBO Go website until my wife's phone worked with the HBO Go app (running over our LAN) so I tried accessing HBO Go with IE on the PC and it worked. I tried deleting cookies and other content on the Google Tv and nothing worked - I don't remember exactly what I did but eventually it worked in Chrome on the PC (I think I changed the user agent string with some extension and cleared cookies.) I've not tried changing the user agent string on my Google TV but to be honest I only bought the Google TV to watch HBO Go on my big screen tv and it was barely adequate (the HBO Go app on the phone is great but controlling the website via the Costar's remote was painful) so I'm packing the Costar up and returning it.

To be honest I've realized that streaming technology is great but the business side is really getting in the way. Once you find a show that you like to watch it seems like a crapshoot if you'll be able to watch it on your device. Business' want exclusive rights on which devices can stream their content, cable providers don't want you to be able to stream unless you're paying them and everything can change from one minute to the next - as a consumer that wants to pay a reasonable price for products I feel the pirates are getting much better service.

12. Travel

Travel Active Member

Yes, the Revue.

13. CatfishRivers

Update about the possibility of using Chromemote (with a computer) to fling HBO GO content to GTV.

A GTV user from the Google+ thread said he tried Chromemote with HBO GO and couldn't get it to work:

"Josh Perkins12:54 PM
    Tried Chromemote as suggested, only appears to share/"fling" website addresses and does not support media streaming or content mirroring."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I emailed the Chromemote developer and asked him if it would work with HBO GO. The following was his response:

"Hello Jack,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am not that familiar with HBO Go myself. Chromemote allows you to fling anything with a URL or web address. So if you have specific web address of a HBO Go video, then you can fling that address from Chromemote to open up in the Chrome browser on Google TV. If you can watch HBO Go videos within the browser window, then you should not have a problem flinging HBO Go videos.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
    Robert Dale Smith (@RobertDaleSmith)
    Founder, Mote Labs"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a computer to test this. But is there any way to get the URL for the HBO GO videos? Is so then according to the Chromemote developer it should work.

If you are unable to get the URLs for the HBO GO videos in the traditional manner - than perhaps this "link-extractor" tool will help. (It will list all the URLs from the links on a web page):

http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/link-extractor.shtml

"Our Link Extractor will extract all the links from a web page you specify and list them."

If anyone else tries Chromemote please post your findings. Thanks....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  14. CatfishRivers

Well apparently the Chromemote workaround (with HBO GO) doesn't work with GTV. The following was posted on the Google+ thread:

-- "thanks for inquiring with the Chromemote dev. Unfortunately because we're just flinging URLs and not encoded video content (or the content stream, for that matter) the URL even when translated to GTV's instance of Chrome or a Third-Party browser, is no different than accessing the HBOGo site on the device itself.

Since HBOGo's website utilizes flash for content playback (my assumption is either FLV or SWF - but I've never actually tried looking at the octet-stream...idea brewing here...), a link to the video isn't helpful since the browser translated the content inside that link with it's native rendering. We'd actually have to rip the media stream (FLV file) from the player itself. Unfortunately that media player engine is not working since GTV's kerfuffle.

The root of our problem with HBOGo playback on the site via GTV is the method utilized to play Flash on the device."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*In a nutshell I gather that because Chromemote only flings URLs and does not actually do real mirroring - that it only works with content that is supported natively on GTV devices.

So it looks like Playon is probably the best workaround (to be used in conjunction with a computer). Keep in mind that PlayOn requires a subscription and the content will be in standard definition. But it works....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  15. stefbetz1

stefbetz1 New Member

I can't get HBOgo working through my Asus Cube either. They are clueless. On my laptop, it didn't work at first (after last Thursday). I had to change the 'unsandboxed plug in access' settings. The problem is there's no way to access these settings on GTV because it shows the mobile browser and doesn't have all the options. I even tried entering the direct http address for the unsandboxed plugin access options, but it doesn't load properly.

I'm new to GTV and the Asus Cube...Just started working with it. For now, I'm walking my laptop out to my AV rack and plugging it in. Kinda defeats the purpose of the Cube. Any one have any ideas of how to access those privacy menu options in the GTV Chrome browser?

Here's my awesome convo with Tech Support from Asus:

Jonathan H from +ASUS tech support via chat:

From the looks like HBOgo is no longer a service for the cube. That is if I read the forum correctly

ME Tue, 6/18/2013 07:10:47 pm
    but you advertise as being one of the FEW devices that is allowed to use the HBOgo app. It comes standard on the Cube. So what's the deal? Is HBO backing out or is this a temporary problem that Asus can fix by solving the compatibility problem with the flash player. I can't believe you guys can't figure out a way to update the flash player/unsandboxed plugin options...there's got to be a way to manage it

Brilliant Tech, Jonathan H. Tue, 6/18/2013 07:14:53 pm
    OK... let me recheck
    The only thing that I am being advised that you can do is use the reset button (paperclip) in the back of the cube to get it back to a factory state. We are unaware of anything that asus or hbo have done that would cause the issue you have at the moment

ME Tue, 6/18/2013 07:21:23 pm
    ok thats not gonna do anything
    we JUST installed it like ten days ago
    so now that Asus is aware, what can we do?

• Like Like x 2
  16. CatfishRivers

Hi and welcome to the forum. I only have the Logitech Revue GTV device and to access the Chrome privacy settings this is my procedure:

Press Chrome Settings key (key with 4 horizontal bars) ----> then click where it says "Advance Settings" ----> then "Under the Hood" -----> then "Content Settings"

Also if I go to system settings (I press the home key then the key with the 4 horizontal bars to get to "system settings") and then "Privacy & Safety" there are some more privacy settings for the device.

17. CatfishRivers

stefbetz1 it's interesting what you mentioned about the "unsandboxed plug-in settings". I did a quick search and Adobe and Google have some information on that subject:

Flash player error | Google Chrome's unsandbox access denied

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2898352?hl=en

Hmmm this appears to be a DRM issue. Unfortunately GTV currently has an outdated Chrome 11 browser and it doesn't have the sandbox settings. I believe these kind of plug-ins are only supported with Chrome on a desktop/laptop computer.

HBO GO is not a partner with GTV in any way. In fact according to HBO GO they don't officially support GTV. Previously HBO GO just happened to work with the GTV browser. With the upcoming GTV Jellybean update Flash will be purged from the GTV Chrome browser altogether. So it appears as though HBO GO will have to build an app for GTV if it is to work again on GTV. IMO it seems very unlikely any kind of "fix" will be coming from HBO GO or Google involving the current issue.

18. stefbetz1

stefbetz1 New Member

I'm going to respond separately, so that it's less confusing...

Cube has the exact same options. But when you go into these menu's, the 'unsandboxed plug in access' (which is viewable on a laptop/desktop) is not one of the options. I wonder if you can see this option on the Revue even? I tried using the direct http address (chrome://settings/contentExceptions#ppapi-broker) and that didn't work either. I don't know for sure that this will solve the problem, I just suspect it will because that's how I solved it on my laptop and I woudl think the same thing would happen.

Would all the options show if I wasn't in some sort of GTV/mobile chrome browser?

19. stefbetz1

stefbetz1 New Member

That didn't quite work how I thought it would. Ok, in reference to the two links you posted, these are the same directions I followed to solve the problem on my laptop. But, like I said, you can't see those options on te GTV Chrome browser. Is there any way around this? Any other way to manually add the hbogo website (I can't paste the link in here because I'm new to the forum) as an exception in these options?

20. CatfishRivers

The unsandboxed plug-in settings are not available on mobile and GTV. GTV doesn't support Chrome plug-ins. I don't see any way around this.

*One thing you can try is entering the HBO GO URL where it says "Plug-In Exceptions" in the GTV Chrome settings. And make sure you have it set to "Allow". I don't expect that to work but it's worth a try. Go to Chrome settings ----> Advanced Settings ---> Under the Hood ---> Content Settings ---> and then scroll down and you will see the option for "Plug-In Exceptions". Enter the HBO GO URL and set it to "Allow".

Sorry I don't subscribe to HBO GO so I can't test it myself. Please post your findings after you give it a try. Thanks....