Quantcast

Does Google TV make sense for me?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by artyzipp, Jan 1, 2013.

1. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

I love the Google platform and ecosystem. I currently use a HTPC with Windows Media Center to record OTA channels. I love the idea of Google TV, but does it make sense for me?

2. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

Does your current setup suit your needs? If it does no need to fix what ain't broke.

If not what are you looking for?

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I use TiVo to record OTA channels and find Google TV very useful, I much prefer using Google TV compared to a PC for internet streaming but most of the things I do with Google TV can probably done with a PC. I can't speak for everyone of course but the Google TV UI and applications beat a Windows PC for ease of use and quick access to the things I want.

4. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

Yes and no. I have most of what I need, but it is a hodge podge of plugins, shortcuts and etc. I am not a huge fan of the HTPC experience, and it has been 5 years since I built it. I think it is a pretty big power drain. I love the look and feel of Google TV, and I love the integration of all the apps, search, and video formats. I guess my only major issue is integrating with live tv/recorded tv. But, we don't really watch a ton of live tv and the shows we do record could be viewed through some of the Project free tv and other links I saw on the forums here.

Tivo combined with Google TV would be awesome, but Tivo is a sizable investment on top of the add on box. Mostly I want something simple and slick, and I think Google TV does that, but I need to think through how I would view Live TV/Recorded TV with my OTA channels.

5. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

Okay, after a lot of research I think going with Tivo and Google TV would be the best bet. I will probably sell my HTPC to make up some of the initial cost. Is there a page that lists supported Tivo devices with Google TV, or do I need to buy a brand new box?

6. ChrisG8

I think the TiVo Premiere is the best option but I have the previous model. the TiVoHD. Buy lifetime, never get caught in the monthly service payment trap is my most vocal recommendation. Get on the TiVo mailing list since you needn't be in a hurry but I expect if a good deal isn't available now, there will be one soon. I paid $500 for TiVoHD with lifetime in 2009 and added additional storage, I used external storage to maintain the warranty but most people upgrade the internal drive. The current Premiere includes a 500GB drive which may be enough and the previous Premiere model has 320GB drive.

7. ChrisG8

I have first generation Google TV only, one on each display in the house and both of my models work great with the TiVoHD and I suspect the new models for both products will work great together as well. Keep in mind, there is no deep integration between TiVo and Google TV, the type that comes with certain Dish Network DVRs and Google TV but that doesn't matter to me.

8. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

Looks like the premiere at $59.99 is the way to go on clearance at TIvo. Do you recommend Tivo warranties?

9. ChrisG8

I have never purchased an extended warranty for a TiVo but it is a fair price and if you are the type that likes to have that security, it might make sense for you. I have been using TiVo since October 2000 and have replaced a few hard drives, nothing else has gone wrong for me. If you use TiVo for a number of years, you will have a hard drive failure. Other failures, motherboard or power supply are not rare really but not so common that I have seen either.

• Like Like x 2
  10. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Chris what would be the best Tivo model for me to use if I have basic cable TV with no cable box? (Currently I connect the Comcast Coaxial cable from the wall to my TV and use the TV's QAM tuner to tune in the channels.) What would be the least expensive way to go about this?

I have a DVD recorder but it only accepts input from a cable TV box (doesn't accept coaxial cable TV input).

If Comcast decides to encrypt the basic TV tier - will it still be compatible with Tivo devices? Thanks...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  11. ChrisG8

If you are going to have TiVo service, the TiVo Premiere would be best in my opinion, either 320GB or 500GB version. If you are not going to subscribe to TiVo service, I would think the TiVoHD would be the best model to use but even then no recording for playback later is possible with an unsubscribed TiVo. I have never used my current TiVos with anything other than OTA. You can buy a used unsubscribed TiVoHD like I have at a bargain price and be able to use two tuners and 30 minute buffers without service and a guide from Google TV, I am doing this with one TiVoHD and it is much better than just a TV tuner. Unscrambled QAM should work no differently than OTA really in that regard. If your cable company starts to encrypt channels, then a cable card will be necessary but someone will have to better explain what will be best in that situation, somebody using TiVo with Comcast.

Buying a TiVo Premiere and purchasing lifetime service is the best option far and away in my opinion as you have seen me mention several times before. Buying a used TiVoHD with lifetime like I own can be a good solution but be sure to buy from a reputable seller, eBay is good, you will have time to make sure it is as described since eBay offers buyer protection. Buying locally might be less expensive but get it home, find the lifetime service isn't valid or the DVR has issues and you are likely going to have some problems getting a satisfactory resolution.

• Like Like x 2
  12. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

Chris,

Thanks for all of your help on this topic. I really do love the look of Google TV, but I think I need to investigate more on how to seamlessly watching my ripped movies on an external drive in a nice UI format before I drop this kind of change. If navigating to my kid's movies is a PITA, it will not get the wife seal of approval.

13. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

Sorry to beat a dead horse here. Been watching reviews of GTV, and it is just too dang awesome to not try. So, with my free channel setup I am basically using Tivo to record and play live TV, Google TV to be the awesome OS on top, and are there good apps for showing/displaying my movie files on an external drive?

14. ChrisG8

I don't have much in the way of local files to play, I use Google TV for internet streaming from various sites, YouTube is my favorite with a large selection of old movies for free but there are a few dozen sites I access with Google TV. CatfishRivers has a Symbaloo webmix linked above in his signature with what must be several hundred sites, I have that bookmarked on each of my Google TV boxes, check it out. I do have PlayLater DVR recordings which Google TV handles very well. As far as the Google TV control of and overlay with TiVo, that is not very important to me, TiVo on its own is great for its intended purpose but I do like having one controller and everything into one HDMI input for the female head of the household.

Someone with a large collection and large variety of local files to play can comment on how well Google TV is suited for that purpose. In general, I understand a PC or WD TV Live media player is better for local files but Google TV can play files, some models are better than others in that regard. If the upcoming Sony NSZ-GP9 Blu-ray is released and within your budget, it should be a good choice. I have the previous Blu-ray model, the NSZ-GT1 and it has better codec support than any other model released to date.

15. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

It looks like the Sony box is the way to go...has good streaming and USB inputs on the back for the external drive. Can you tell me if the google tv remote is able to control everything?

16. ChrisG8

I can't imagine any Google TV can control everything and again, I believe there are some significant differences between models. I can control the components I use with my Google TV boxes pretty well including the TiVos, HDTVs and AV receivers.

17. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

18. ChrisG8

That is the same model I use so it is 3 to 4 years old and it comes with a lot of extras so it is a fair deal. I would say pass and buy a new model if you want my recommendation.

19. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

That is what I figured...thanks. I found one on ebay with a warranty for the 320 GB model.

20. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member