Quantcast

Does anyone else get irritated or find it funny/dumb that..

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by wizzard21, Nov 25, 2011.

1. wizzard21

wizzard21 New Member

<rant>

Logitech can use all these resources to push a revue this black friday with an HD camera for $129 and continue to put "update coming" on the box. Why not push the update before putting these on special for the biggest shopping day of the year? They would make more money if they would put the update out and then sell it, most people aren't going to buy it because they want the update first.

From what I understand, this new update is in Logitech's hands. I mean I haven't been waiting that long, and I paid $99 for it last week and I can't imagine how pissed people are that paid $299 for it. I was in the middle of a Roku, Apple TV or Boxee, but bought the Revue because of the added bells and whistles.

I just left best buy and there are tons of these bundles on the shelf. I'm considering returning the revue and paying the extra $80 for the Sony box.

Please don't give me any "complaining isn't going to do anything about it" because this is a discussion forum. Just want to hear everyone else's thoughts.

</rant>

2. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

I thought it was going to be $105 for a black friday special

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I purchased the Logitech Revue the day they were available at the local Best Buy for the FULL MSRP of $299.99. I'm just as frustrated as everyone else regarding not having the update. However, instead of allowing my frustration to fuel my anxieties, I've decided that it was more useful to spend my energy trying to understand the platform better as well as help other people in the process.

• Like Like x 8
  4. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

ditto , i thought 105.00 for walkins , but no one has said they found it for that price yet . ( except the pricing error last week ) .... still 129.00 on web .

5. DCLocal

DCLocal New Member

The $105 was a pricing mistake by Best Buy a week ago last Friday but was quickly corrected; $129 is the bundle price going forward while supply lasts.

6. bobstro

bobstro New Member

Actually, I'm rather pleased they've done that. Having bought my Revue before the announcement that Logitech would discontinue it, I see this as locking them into providing it rather than just vaguely promising.

I'm sure the reason they did it was to try to make numbers on that Biggest Shopping Day of the Year while the actual software's not out. I hoping they sold enough to reconsider dumping the platform!

7. donc13

donc13 Member

I seriously doubt the Revue, in its current form, will be reconsidered. I believe that the current "deals" are simply in place to dump inventory. Just like the HP TouchPad sold tons at a $99 price, HP lost money on each one at that price. Just not as much money loss for HP if the took them back and crushed them.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

8. John.Kotches

John.Kotches New Member

i don't suppose that the OP has considered that the dev resources working on the ics release are not the same as the sales/marketing resources working on the black Friday bundle.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

9. Mar

Mar New Member

Someone at Logitech said in the conference call a month ago that the company has a goal of eliminating its inventory of the Revue by the end of the year. The pricing at this point should be viewed with that goal in mind.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Actually, that person is the Logitech Chairman, acting CEO and President, Guerrino De Luca, and here is an exact quote from the LOGITECH INTERNATIONAL SA - 10-Q webcast

Incidentally, I posted a partial transcript here http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-no-plans-build-successor-logitech-revue.html

11. bobstro

bobstro New Member

Agreed insofar as the current form is concerned. I was more referring to Logitech abandoning GTV altogether. They're sure indicating they intend to quit, but I have to wonder if they'll regret that decision when (and if) GTV starts to gain traction.

Looking at some of the Chinese set top boxes going for $100-200, there's not a lot that a GTV box offers, except for the very things Logitech did right: The ability to "work with what you've got" regarding integrated universal (more-or-less) remote control with STB, TV and programming.

12. wizzard21

wizzard21 New Member

They do work for the same company, it doesn't matter if they in the same department. Furthermore, I went to best buy yesterday and the box says that it has the update, I can't remember the exact wording. But if you were in marketing, I'm pretty sure you know the concept of "false advertising".

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There are two advertisements from the Marketing Dept, one is imprinted on the box and the other is a sticker addon.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. frmorrison

frmorrison New Member

If GTV gains traction, Logitech may put out another device. They are giving up on the Revue, but they can always jump back in if there is a market for new GTV devices.

15. John.Kotches

John.Kotches New Member

This statement is nonsense. The technical resources that are working on the hc release have nothing to do with the marketing folks who put together the bundle.

This is orthogonal to the who is working on honeycomb for the revue.

That said, I think it's those that don't work in marketing that understand false advertising.

Why the marketing types at Logitech thought it would be a good idea to plaster that on the box i don't know. it's at best deceptive.

16. John.Kotches

John.Kotches New Member

and these still aren't the people tasked with delivering honeycomb ;)

17. Mar

Mar New Member

My guess is that the Marketing folks had received assurances months before that the update would be out the door by the time those boxes hit the shelves. It wasn't. It happens. Assuming some sinister intent to deceive behind the labels is silly.

18. wizzard21

wizzard21 New Member

lol nonsense? So let me give you an example, let's say the iPhone 5 is coming out. Apple marketing wants to put an AD/STICKER ON THE BOX that says "iPhone 5 now with i0S 7 with a 15 megapixel camera" ...it's not logical for marketing to make sure that the phone actually has "iOS 7 with the 15 megapixel camera" WITH A DIFFERENT DEPARTMENT TO VERIFY before putting an ad/sticker out about it? Rather than false advertising, which they did (see pictures).

19. John.Kotches

John.Kotches New Member

as someone that actually works in engineering on customer facing products and has to deal with marketing on a regular basis i think i have some experience with this . the most likely chain of events is that there was a target date that was missed. but that didn't stop marketing from putting the stickers on the boxes. as i said it's at best deceptive.

The nonsense I'm referring to is that marketing of the revue + camera bundle is taking engineering resources away from the honeycomb efforts. the two are unrelated.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  20. John.Kotches

John.Kotches New Member

"Unless there's a show stopper we will hit date X."

In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty innocuous but imo it shows a disconnect between marketing and engineering.

before the first packaging change was made there should have been a go/no go decision based on actual availability of the update.

so i consider it deceptive until it's available for download.

but it also isn't life or death.