Quantcast

Do you watch video on your smartphone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rickaren, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

HDTV Almanac - Mobile Video Taking Up Bandwidth
    by Alfred Poor on January 21, 2011

Do you watch video on your smartphone? The odds are good that you don’t. A study released by Bytemobile shows that only about 10% of users were responsible for 90% of the total mobile network traffic in 2010. And of this total traffic, 40% is video. The company forecasts that video will grow to be 60% of mobile traffic this year, as people start watching longer video — TV episodes instead of YouTube clips – and at higher resolutions.

But the big question posed by these numbers is what happens when mobile video viewing expands beyond this 10% of users? Some services already have caps on monthly usage for their wireless data services, and presumably more subscribers will start bumping up against these limits as mobile video gains in popularity. We already know that there isn’t sufficient cell phone capacity for all subscribers to make calls at the same time. Will mobile video tie up so much bandwidth that it starts to create noticeable problems for users? Can the service providers expand coverage and capacity fast enough to meet the growing demand?

I suspect that as people get used to watching video from the Internet on their home televisions, they will be more likely to explore ways to access that content on other devices, including cell phones and tablet devices with wireless data service. And I expect that we’ll encounter some growing pains over the next few years as the demand for mobile video grows.

SOURCE

2. srheug

srheug New Member

I think that tablets will make the largest increase in bandwidth. They are a much bettewr form factor. I view some videos on my android phone, but I must be getting old because it reallyt is a bit small for videos.

posted from my Droid2

3. rtalain

rtalain New Member

The only time I watch videos on my Evo is when it's a Youtube linked to a Facebook or Twitter post, and only if it's not too long. I'm always concerned about battery life, and if the video is more than a few minutes, I feel the need to plug the phone into a charger, which is at my desk at work (where I have a desktop computer), or at home, where I have all manner of better methods of viewing that video (like Google TV!).

I think the bigger jump in bandwidth consumption will be from the simple fact that there will be exponentially more people whose phones are on the internet at all. When was the last time you knew somebody that got a new phone that wan't a smartphone? Pretty soon, they'll drop the smart and it'll just be called a phone. So you take so many more people downloading their e-mail, updating their Facebook and Twitter feeds, using Google maps, streaming Music, AND downloading videos, and there may be a big problem.

4. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

On a blackberry video is pointless. The only time I used my Slingbox on my blackberry was when I was at the inlaws for Christmas. I don't even have the You Tube app installed
    The iPad on the other hand is quite watchable. I am really looking forward the Google TV App for it being able to fling from the iPad to my TV would be awesome.

5. MicahBS

MicahBS New Member

i watch netflix on my iphone4 in between classes and stuff, probably a hour or a hour and a half a day.

6. StevenB

StevenB New Member

I currently do not watch videos that much except for the occasional youtube video.
    I will watch more, once PlayOn will support subtitles from MKV's. It uses VLC to stream your own media, so I don't know why it doesn't already. If you know of other streaming software that will also stream my media to my xbox (or google tv) that actually does mkv subs, let me know!