Quantcast

DLNA Support

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by mogulman, Mar 11, 2013.

1. mogulman

mogulman New Member

I just got the Vizio Co-Star. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS NAS backup box. I have lots of media on the drive (movies/TV shows). All the media is in mp4 streaming format (header info at beginning of file). I have the ReadyNAS DLNA server and the ReadyNAS webserver pointing at the media. If I open Chrome on the media I get a file listing. If I select a file it starts playing right away so I know the media is good. Also, it plays fine from my WDTV Live media box. The Vizio Co-star does not come with built-in DLNA. I searched Google Play with the words "dlna player" and I got about 14 apps. I tried an app called aVia and it found the DLNA server and media. When I try to play it it says it cannot. Rather than try them all I was looking for a recommendation. Personally, I think GoogleTV should come with built-in DLNA support or at least Vizio should provide it.

BTW, I did all the updates.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Vimu Player and Plex are both very popular with GTV users. The Vimu Player developer has a thread here on the Forum and offers good personal support:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/4075-gtvbox-vimu-player-support.html

* The Co-Star comes with the Playpoint app pre-installed. The following (see below) are the instructions from the Vizio web site for using Playpoint on the Co-Star:

"Can I stream movies, photos, and music from my PC to my Co-Star?
    Published 08/14/2012 11:01 AM | Updated 09/06/2012 07:32 AM

Can I stream movies, photos, and music from my PC to my Co-Star?

VIZIO's PlayPointâ„¢ technology makes it easy to share movies, music and photos from phones, tablets, computers and other DLNA-enabled devices, right on your TV.

How do I connect to a DLNA Server?

1. Press the V Button on remote. The on-screen menu is displayed.

2. Use the Arrow buttons on the remote to highlight the Playpoint app and then press OK.

3. Use the Arrow buttons to highlight Playpoint USB Device and then press OK.

4. Scroll to the name of the DLNA server you wish to use and then press OK.

5. You can now browse through the media on the DLNA server including Music, Audio, and Video.

6. To change the DLNA device highlight your current connected device, press OK, and you'll be able to select a new device."

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I still would test Plex first and Serviio, but the Co-Star is DLNA/UPNP ready via PlayPoint DLNA/UPNP media player ... Try using PlayPoint DLNA/UPNP media player to access your external drive, see how it works ... I don't believe you will have any problems with PlayPoint playing your Mp4 file format ...

Networking

[HR][/HR]
    WiFiYes, 802.11n/g/b
    Ethernet10/100Mbps
    Bluetooth®Yes
    Network MultimediaPlayPoint™ app lets you access media on DLNA-enabled network devices

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Has anyone tried sideloading PlayPoint onto another GTV device? Would it work?

• Like Like x 2
  5. mogulman

mogulman New Member

Just want to say Playpoint works like a charm. Didn't play a full movie yet but the first 30 minutes played fine. I am a little embarrassed I did not see the FAQ on the Vizio site until CatfishRivers pointed it out. Thanks to all. VERY helpful forum.