Quantcast

DLNA server on Mac - Logitech Revue

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by Tiramir, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Tiramir

Tiramir New Member

Alright, so I have the Revue box and I have a few mac computers in my house. I have tried both Twonkyserver and MediaLink. Twonkyserver seemed clunky compared to MediaLink. I am hoping to eventually replace my AppleTV with the Revue. Currently I have playlists and files setup through itunes. MediaLink will allow me to view my playlists and information attached to the files instead of just browsing a heirarchy list of the files. I have episode names and descriptions and genres, so I would like to be able to still access this. When I use MediaLink I can view all the files but I don't get any playback of the files. Everything I have encoded was done through Handbrake with a Universal .mp4 or .m4v file. Files play fine on all my apple and android based devices. I'm trying to figure out if this is an issue with the mac servers, my router, or if the Revue just wont sync with mac servers yet. I've seen people talking about getting DLNA capabilities when setting up a server on PC. Has anyone had any luck with setting up DLNA with the Revue on mac's? Anyone had any luck playing .mp4 or .m4v files? Thanks.

2. Mikey

Mikey New Member

I'm not sure if it will work with the logitech revue, but playback (for Mac) works nicely as a dlna server with my Sony Google TV. Go to: Yazsoft

3. MysticalTux

MysticalTux New Member

TVMobili free DLNA server works on MAC's. I've installed it on few MAC and was able to stream media with out any issues.

TVMobili

4. dreed614

dreed614 New Member

I installed MediaLink on my iMac.
    Initially the media files, iTunes and iPhoto files showed up and the photo and movies played fine on Revue.
    Later I changed the organization of some files and folder under pictures and now can not get it to display anything in that folder to show up.
    I also try TVMobili and playback, no luck with either if these with Revue.

5. srramalot

srramalot New Member

Playback works flawless with the Sony Bluray Player

6. mdwish

mdwish New Member

Really interested to hear some more input on this issue. Id like to replace my Mac Mini with my new Google TV such that I can just stream files from my iMac. Anyone had some real positive results from a OS X based DLNA?

7. XzombieX

XzombieX New Member

I use tvmobili and my sony google tv jus says, no items to display, i can view stuff on my droid x just fine, i can view stuff on my mac mini with my droid but the tv wont see any folders.

8. ctgtvuser

ctgtvuser New Member

I've had very good results with the elgato eye-connect DLNA server using my iMac and connectivity to the SBRGTV and other PC's in my home. Big disappointment has to do with Apple's encryption on purchased video that cannot be viewed on my TV ... that, I'm afraid is only accessible through AppleTV (which I don't have, yet). Otherwise, all my music files, both from CD's and purchased, are nicely arranged to my iTunes folders, playlists, etc. Its a nice product and you can try it free for 30 days before committing to the $50 price tag ... which I did today!

9. thejab

thejab New Member

Just downloaded and installed Medialink on my Mac G4 Cube running Tiger and I can connect from the Revue, browse the folders in the system drive (though not attached drives), and view photos and videos from the folders (in .AVI and .MP4). I cannot connect to iTunes (network error). I can connect to iPhoto fine. Considering the age of my computer and the fact that I can still get Medialink for the OS and it works I'm pretty pleased. Watching videos on my HDTV from my Mac is much easier than sitting at the computer. And iTunes not working isn't a big deal for me because I can play iTunes through my stereo with AirTunes and control it from my Android Remote app. My iTunes library is huge (over 90,000 songs), so that may explain the connection error. The software is only $20 to purchase (trial version only works for 30 minutes). The Revue has made me decide I can put off buying a new computer for another year or two, or until my Cube's power supply dies (it's now over 10 years old) . The Revue was a bargain at $99, and it cost me nothing because I bought it with the $99 Amazon gift certificate Dish Network gave me for starting service.

10. jordannelms

jordannelms New Member

I have tried tvmobili and twonky on my mac mini and both have problems playing the same media files (avi). Some files will work while others dont (but the ones that dont dont on both). These files work fine on xbmc, and play on my computer, but wont play in the logitech revue player...WEAK. Keep searching for the right DLNA server app i suppose.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Logitech Revue has a limited amount of file containers and codecs which it supports. If the Revue does not support a particular file format, then you can either convert the file into a compatible format or use a DNLA server which handles transcoding.

My multimedia library involves a Network Attached Storage (NAS). It has a lower power lower consumption than my desktop, but also a weaker power CPU. In my situation transcoding is not an option, so I've chosen to use Format Factory convert my files to MP4 with H.264 video and AAC audio. Because this is a universally adopted format, it works with all of my clients and with hardware accelerated decoding . As a bonus, I'm able embed metatags and covert art into the MP4 file container with MetaX.

As for your other option, Twonky supports the on-the-fly conversion also known as transcoding which will allow your files to be used by the Revue regardless of the format. However, this ability is disabled by default and will require customization in order for the server to understand which formats are compatible with the Revue. I don't know if TVmobili supports transcoding.

The table below was taken from their support page. These video formats are currently compatible for Google TV in its current form, though apparently there will be more support in Android 3.1.

File ContainerVideo StreamAudio StreamText Stream
    .MKVH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .FLVH.264/MPEG-4 AVC and H.263AACNA
    .MTSH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .MT2SH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .TSH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .AVIH.264/MPEG-4 AVC, DivX MPEG4, and Xvid MPEG4AACNA
    .MOVH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .MP4H.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011