Quantcast

DLNA PLaylist Sizes, Apps that Shuffle, and WatchESPN

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by FullMoonMadness, Oct 24, 2013.

1. FullMoonMadness

FullMoonMadness New Member

Hello, I was thinking about buying a Google TV set-top box, and I was hoping someone could answer a few of questions for me. As a non-Android user, I have no experience with apps from that environment.

My current DLNA client limits my playlist to 1000 songs. Does ViMu (or any other DLNA client) offer a higher limit? How high? I want a player that can handle at minimum 6500 songs.

I currently use Plex as one of my media servers. The Plex client on my Blu Ray player doesn't have a shuffle/random option for music (mind-blowing! It's a basic music function). Does ViMu (or your favorite DLNA client) have a shuffle/random play option?

Does WatchESPN work well on Google TV?

Thanks for your responses!

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Nobody has responded yet but I suspect there are users here that will have answers to all of your questions, hopefully soon. I don't use Google TV for music, believe it or not I still play CDs, SACDs, and DVD-A/V when I listen to music.

I don't have a pay TV subscription and the only WatchESPN streaming service I can use is ESPN3, I use it fairly often and it works well but does require I only run that one app when I use it. I even have two Google TV devices connected in the room I watch sports, major golf tournaments were available this past year with multiple feeds of various holes or groups being followed and switching from one to the other takes a couple of minutes, not practical so I kept two streaming simultaneously and switched HDMI inputs. College football and college basketball were the other sports I use ESPN3 for and have been happy with the results. I don't know if the change to Android 4.2.2 with the new Google TV operating system will end or improve WatchESPN access with Google TV so that is something to research before buying one of the models that will be updated soon.

I do use Google TV with DLNA and ViMu but don't have a large number of files so I can only say it works well for my limited needs.

3. FullMoonMadness

Thanks for the response!

College football was exactly my goal with ESPN. When you say the service you can use is ESPN3, does that mean you don't use an ESPN app? Instead you use Chrome to stream through a browser?

Does ViMu allow allow you to shuffle a playlist? It seems ridiculous that I'd even have to ask that question, but since I've experienced an app that doesn't have that feature...

4. ChrisG8

Yes, I use the Chrome browser, there is no ESPN app for Google TV yet and I don't know if there ever will be. All of the other WatchESPN streaming services require a paid TV subscription which must be authenticated to use. ESPN3 is provided by many internet service providers, I know here in Little Rock, both AT&T U-verse and Comcast Xfinity provide ESPN3. Any of the other ESPN services just ask me to enter my cable company and I can't get past that.

5. ChrisG8

There may be some success by sideloading the WatchESPN app for Android now once the update to Jelly Bean has been received, I don't know anything about it and can't try it until I get Jelly Bean. If sideloading does turn out to work well, that should mean an official Google TV version will follow.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Somebody with an LG GTV television (with Jellybean update) posted on a thread that sideloading Watch ESPN works. I'm not sure how well it works - but the OP provided some screenshots of WatchESPN on his LG GTV television:

https://plus.google.com/110602443858819149147/posts/8PhgmBGrvWd

Also it's reported that the WatchESPN web site doesn't work with the GTV Chrome browser after the Jellybean update - because Watch ESPN is based on Flash. (The Jellybean update removes Flash from the GTV Chrome browser).

It's been reported that there is a workaround for Flash on GTV devices that have received the Jellybean update - provided you download an alternate browser such as Firefox along with the Flash apk. If you did that - the WatchESPN web site would probably work on GTV after the Jellybean update - although from what I've read thus far the quality of Flash videos using the workaround is not real good.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  7. ChrisG8

I am definitely going to keep a first generation Google TV box connected for Flash and other reasons but at least Jelly Bean for Google TV appears promising, although certainly not what we had hoped for, at least not yet.

8. FullMoonMadness

While I have no experience with the Android environment, I would think that because there is a WatchESPN app for droid phones that it would eventually come to Google TV. Why do you think otherwise?

I'm not familiar with "sideloading," and I have to say that's not what I had in mind when purchasing a set-top box. I had pictured just downloading an ESPN app made for Google TV. I would be disappointed if I sideloaded it, then at some point down the road it stopped working that way, and a GTV designed app was never released.

Does anyone know if Apple TV is the only set-top box that has a WatchESPN app designed to work on it? Thanks!

9. ChrisG8

I didn't say I think otherwise regarding an ESPN app, only stated I don't know one way or the other. I do know I have been using Google TV for well over two years now and no app has been made available yet. Fortunately I am able to use the browser basically problem free for ESPN3, it works great for me but others have complained about it. I can't say whether or not it works as well for the other WatchESPN streaming options since I have no experience.

I am with you on not wanting to mess with sideloading apps. My limited experience is not good, apps forced closed, caused the device to operate poorly and after trying a couple, I uninstalled them and won't bother again unless it is an absolute dream app that I must have and no chance it will create those kind of issues.

10. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I also dislike sideloading apps. I think those that have experienced difficulties streaming ESPN 3 may have insufficient bandwidth. I recently dropped cable Broadband & switched to Verizon DSL. Now I have all the problems others have been complaining about. The video drops or never connects altho the sound works. The video quality bar rarely shows more than 1 light. And I definitely can't stream w/other apps open.

Guess I'll be going back to Cox next year...

Carl

11. ChrisG8

Everything I do with Google TV is basically one app being used at a time and running ESPN3 is no exception, in fact it is one that demands that in my experience. I agree ESPN3 requires a solid internet connection, even then it loads slowly so I came up with using two Google TV boxes simultaneously to switch between streams, not unlike switching between football games with traditional TV during commercials or halftime. I don't even use the PrimeTime app, first because I can find everything I want from my TiVo and the various internet TV services I use without it and second because it requires resources when in use.

I don't doubt a native WatchESPN app would be an improvement and I hope that happens at some point although it is far from the biggest need for me, in fact it is way down the list.

12. FullMoonMadness

Can anyone answer my questions about the length of playlists with ViMu (or another app)? How many songs are in your playlist? Can you put it on shuffle/random? Thanks!

13. FullMoonMadness

Hi, I haven't had any responses on that aspect of ViMu's playlist length and play options. Is there any chance you can load a small playlist of music or videos and see if there is a shuffle option?