Quantcast

DLNA in Release 08?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by pmcd, May 11, 2013.

1. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

That is supposed to be one of the new capabilities. Do you have to do anything to activate it? It doesn't seem to have made any difference at all to my GS7. Media Player doesn't seem to support it and ViMu and others are acting like they always have.

Does anyone know what new this DLNA thing brings to our Sony boxes?

Philip

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

assuming you got REL08 update :)

• To check the media player app version #,

Go to "All Apps" select that App then Press & Hold [OK] button > select 'Application info'

(App version # shows at the upper left side)

• To check if the Media Player app supports DLNA,

From "All Apps" select the Media Player app > press [MENU] button > "Select device"
    You'll see .... "USB device", "server" & "internal memory"

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

It works, but it doesn't seem to always be reliable at detecting DLNA servers on the network.

4. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I just read the release notes and they say that Media Player only supports local playback ( usb and internal memory). On the other hand I seem to now be able to send videos to my Sony via DLNA without using any GTV app. Perhaps that is what they meant?

philip

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

No, the media player has definately been updated with REL08 and it can find and play videos from DLNA/uPnP servers - it's just not always reliable at detecting them. You can close the App, then re-start it, and it may have better luck. Doesn't really matter to me, as I still prefer ViMu. It's good to hear confirmed that it can receive videos and play them. Hopefully that will lead to more AirPlay like features like mirroring- if not outright Miracast support.

6. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I have a Synology NAS and there is an app for it called DS Video. It collects metadata for your media collection. It will also send media to any DLNA device and the media just plays (also works via AirPlay). Once it plays then you control things from the Sony remote. It's really quite magical. It now works great with my R08 Sony. What I don't know is if this is related to the Media Player app on the Sony. Tried again to actually detect my DLNA servers with media player but it didn't see them. I didn't try very hard so perhaps it was the hit and miss thing. Previously I could get DS Video to work as I have an AirPlay app for the GTV which works remarkably well.

philip