Quantcast

DLNA / FAT32 Hard Drive Woes

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by mrose78, Oct 24, 2010.

1. mrose78

mrose78 New Member

We recently purchased the Logitech Revue and have had a lot of success with everything except watching movies from our backup storage device. I formatted the 1 TB NTFS Seagate External hard drive to FAT32 and copied over all of our movies. When we plugged it in, our Google TV kept restarting. It restarted at least 6 times in a row.

After speaking with the Logitech support staff, we were told that we could not have any mass storage device that was greater than 895 GB. So I went out and bought a 750 GB Western Digital My Passport. I only copied over 1 movie this time, but we are having the same issue (restarting, losing network connection). We currently have a ticket in for this.

Has anyone else had this issue before? If so, what did you do to resolve?

We would like to have all of our media attached to the Logitech Revue, but realize there is an alternative DLNA solution as well. Has anyone been able to successfully set this up? We have tried but are unable to detect within the Google TV Media Player.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. kidzag

kidzag New Member

I have had the exact same problem and it is definitely a bug

3. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Out of morbid curiousity try using a 30 or 40 Gig drive formatted FAT32. I remember reading somewhere that the Revue was limited to external sources of 40 Gig or less.

4. mrose78

mrose78 New Member

I had read that before as well, but speaking with Logitech support, they said that the maximum size was 895 GB. I also read on their forums that it was recently upped.

5. kidzag

kidzag New Member

sorry but my morbid curiosity doesn't go as low as 30 or 40 gig.......I would expect the 40 gig limitation if I paid $300 for this thing back in 2004........besides mrose78 is correct, the limitation has been raised to 895 GB.....still morbidly low considering we are almost to 2011 and you would have a hard time finding an EHD less than 1 terabyte. Personally I'm getting sick of buying "half-done" hardware. The logitech revue needed at least 3-6 months more development.....this unit cannot properly index even 895 GB because they threw a patch on the problem at the last minute when some stupid engineer smacked his forehead and said "doh, why didn't I think of that ?". Come on GoogleTV, please grow up and be the "end all and be all" that you promised

6. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

I think dlna is going to be the best solution.

7. mrose78

mrose78 New Member

I was thinking DLNA was going to be a viable solution but have not had much luck as of yet. We are currently running a Windows 7 machine and a Windows Vista machine, both capable of hosting DLNA services, but each time I create one, I am not seeing it in my Google TV. We have used WMP, TVersity, and Twonky, all with no luck.

Is there a trick to doing this? I have even temporarily disabled my firewall to see if that was the cause for the DLNA services to not show.

Thanks again for all the comments!

8. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

i think you may be having a network issue. i'm currently using tversity and the vaio plus or whatever it's called on my laptop and both are working fine with dlna. i've had much better experiences with tversity. if you have another computer i'd download tversity on it to rule out that end, and then maybe your router settings are causing issues? i'm just throwing out guesses though. i also haven't watched a movie all the way through to duplicate anything cutting out, but i've watched ten minutes worth with no issues. sorry i can't be more help.

9. mrose78

mrose78 New Member

Thats for the comments. We actually had success last night. It was an access issue. Seems like the Qwest Modem/Router combo does not play well with DLNA. I ended up connecting another wireless router to the modem and connecting both the media server and the Google TV to that router. We ended up using Windows Media Player for now and it is working great. Like you, we did not watch a movie all the way through but it seems to be running great without skipping.

• Like Like x 2