Quantcast

DLNA content update

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by eviljiggy, Aug 17, 2011.

1. eviljiggy

eviljiggy New Member

Hey all,

So, I've been using WMC on my Windows 7 PC as a media share and it's been working fine on the Revue, except in the past few days new content I move into the specified folders doesn't show up, it seems to be on a lag of some sort. Any idea how you can force a refresh? I've done a refresh on the Revue side but it didn't seem to update very much, so I'm thinking now it's a PC thing.. thoughts?

2. daddypants

daddypants New Member

same issue when using the wmc to stream. you gotta clear the buffer in the wmc to refresh your google tv media player library. i got fed up with it and use other media servers. i recommend XBMC if you want movie posters and logos for your shows, or the PS3 media server if you are streaming to more then 2 tvs at once. xbmc is perfect for just the one tv though.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Or, you can go into Windows Media Player > Tools > Options... > Library tab > Monitor Folders... > then click "Ok" to scan your configured folders for new media.

4. eviljiggy

eviljiggy New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I decided to try out XBMC because I found the updating process for WMC a little clunky. Do you know if there's any way to run XBMC as a service or anything like that? The media is served off of the main PC in the house and I'd like xbmc to just quietly run in the background instead of being the overall "shell" for the PC.

Thanks in advance!

5. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

Hmmm, I'm running WMP 12.0.7601 on Win7 x64 and I don't see a Monitor Folders option. I removed a few movies from the folder where video library resides, but they still show up in the Revue. $librarytab.JPG I rebooted my laptop and the Revue, but the files still appear in the Revue.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I hate when they move things around. Here's what it looks like on Vista both 32/64 with Windows Media Player 11.

$vista.jpg

Take a look at the following support page: Incorrect titles in Media Player playlist

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

Thanks again.... Why WMP in Win7 does not have a clear and rescan library option is a mystery to me. What are folks suppose to do? Stay with null links in their media library for files that have renamed, moved or deleted?

I was going to install a 3rd party DLNA server, but I'm going to wait for the Logitech Media Server (LMS) to be released. I use a Squeezebox to play music from my FLAC library. The FLAC is streamed to my Squeezebox via a SqueezeBox Server (SBS). The next iteration of SBS has been renamed LMS and will include a DLNA UPnP component to stream media to the Revue. Once released, I will only need one server for all my multimedia content. LMS is still in early beta and the DLNA UPnP component to support the Revue is not functioning in the Windows builds yet. I attached an image of a pop up that appears during the LMS installation process. As you can see the 3rd component from the top is the Revue. I'm "assuming" that LMS will be released simultaneously with the Revue Honeycomb update or sometime soon after.
    $LMS.JPG

8. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Where did you find info on LMS this is very exciting sounds like they let the Squeezeboxs guy create a solution to the media player issues. This is what has been needed.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't know, sometimes the folks at Microsoft have good ideas and sometimes they have bad ideas. Probably differs with which development group supports which product.

Another option is to use a NAS or NAS add-on which enables DNLA server. I personally have a Qnap TS-409 Pro but there is also the Iomega iConnect. They will save you a little money in the long run on your electric bills, since they consume less power than a desktop PC or Mac.

10. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

You can get more information about LMS here ://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=86628 - Add the http prefix. I can't post links yet

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

12. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

A NAS is not an option for me because I use multiple plugins for the Squeezebox server that required additional horsepower, scanning my large FLAC libraries would take a long time in a NAS and some configuration options for SBS are also not available on a NAS. I use a laptop dedicated to SBS with an external 2TB drive that holds my multimedia library. I have been a Squeezebox user for many years and for a long time SBS has come pre-installed in some NAS. LMS will probably be available in that form also and work out of the box. But... as I said, for folks that want to extent the functionality of SBS (or LMS in the future) via plugins NAS is not a "recommended" option.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  13. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

I have been beta testing it with my FLAC library and some pictures and videos for a few weeks now, but because the the DLNA UPnP plugin is not working streaming video or pictures to DLNA UPnP clients is not possible. Currently, you can use the streaming functions inherited from SBS to play music in many formats with Squeezboxes. Via the Web UI of LMS you can view pictures, but not videos. It's still basically an Squezebox server with some changes on the Web UI. The functionality behind the UI changes to support pictures and videos is not there yet.

Edif: Just to clarify a bit. The Squeezebox Server (SBS) does not use DLNA UPnP to stream music. So far, the Logitech Media Server (LMS) is basically SBS with an added feature (plugin) to support DLNA UPnP clients (incl. music players) and a modified Web UI to navigate your music, video and pictures libraries.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011