Quantcast

DLNA and UpnP connections

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by btang, Jan 16, 2011.

1. btang

btang New Member

So far I've been able to connect my laptop with the built in Media Player gadget to view photos but not to stream my music or video. Calls to Sony confirmed that DLNA only supports photos on this set but I should be able to stream my music with a UpnP connection.
    I barely understand the difference. I just want the TV to see the music on my laptop and be able to play it with the media player gadget. Is this possible? Do I need to go buy a network media player to do this?

I'm running a Windows 7 with Media Player 12. I've checked all the share setting etc.

Any advice?

2. digdow

digdow New Member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. judyn

judyn New Member

We are extremely happy with our [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]NSX-40GT1. Far fewer internet sites are blocking the google tv browser than we were led to believe. We now have audio and video served from two of our computers using serviio. It is very straightforward and it just works. I have no idea if the Sony is using DLNA or UPnP because I think serviio supports both, but whatever it is, it works.

Our only issue with that is our video is compressed and some of it is displaying in a very small window and other is blown up to full screen as it should be and is shown on all other ways we play these files. The strange thing is some play OK and others play in a small window and we don't at this point know the difference. We get videos from several sources and use different programs to process them either to downsize or remove ads, depending on the source. So I'd like to see the TV's Media Player do the right thing for all incoming video files. Although I guess the issue could come from serviio? I'm not sure who does what to these files.

Anyway, to get it to work at all was a pleasant surprise because we expected we would have to wait for an update to Google TV.

We also have a Brite-View wireless HD receiver feeding Tivo to it from the next room.

The only other thing I can think of now is even though it is 40" and the distance is not that large between our couch and the TV, some of the things displayed on it I can't read and have to get up. I guess we need binoculars... Especially what Media Player displays...

Happy happy!
    [/SIZE][/FONT]