Quantcast

Dissed By Logitech - Google TV Soldiers On

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 11, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Dissed by Logitech, Google TV Soldiers On | Gadget Lab | Wired.com (click for full article)

From the article:

"A good portion of Google's so-called marathon plan involves remedying big mistakes of the past, including streamlining what many saw as complicated peripheral hardware.

"They tried to make the Google TV experience too much like a computer," Forrester analyst James McQuivey said in an interview. "Companies like Logitech invested in these complicated peripherals, and they're too complex for people."

The first generation of Google TV peripherals were indeed a mish-mash of combined keyboard/remote frankenware, a reminder of the failed Web TV controllers first introduced in the mid-90s. "It doesn't make any sense to add another remote to people's lives," McQuivey said.

Google has said it's working with its partners on redesigning the controller hardware, and will offer a streamlined, less-complex version of a TV controller in the future. The partner working on the project is ostensibly Sony, the other major manufacturer to offer a Google TV set-top box."

--------------------------------------------------------

Man oh man how many times do these so-called 'experts' just keep re-hashing the same old garbage. The remote control is not the MAIN reason that Google TV has not been more successful. With the Revue the high price was the main issue. When the price was slashed to $99 the Revue sold like hotcakes - proving the problem WAS NOT THE KEYBOARD.

I hope that at least if the new Google TV hardware comes with a small hand-held remote with a few tiny buttons (so a retard can use it lol) - that at least there will be an option to use a wireless keyboard through the USB port. Trying to do any typing with a hand-held controller is not fun.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Member

They Keyboard was the reason I got Mine, I can stand looking for programming with a remote.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I love the Revue keyboard, searching for programming to watch and web browsing requires a keyboard for this old dummy. You know we may be the only two that feels this way. I can't even envision this product the so called experts believe is required for Google TV to be a success, easy but yet powerful, simple but able to deal with many different website designs and codecs, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. I don't want to be limited by something that is so simple, means does so little that everybody can easily operate it. Yes, some of the methods of finding programming for my queue is clunky but with Catfish Rivers help in the Project Free TV thread, I have more programs I want to watch queued up than I can watch in a year.

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It isn't necessarily true. People may not have wanted to "put up" with a full size keyboard at the higher price. Lowering price two-thirds of what it originally was sold, empowered people to be more experimental. I wonder if there was a $99 package that only included a Harmony Remote with some sort of convertible qwerty keyboard, and another package with the current keyboard at $199 if the results would have been the same.

I like the Revue's Keyboard too but 75% of the time I'm using a Harmony Remote instead. The idea is that not everyone wants to use keyboard to watch TV. It just isn't intuitive, or as cozy to use it (especially in the winter cuddling inside the warmth of our blankets). If I'm on the couch cuddling with someone then the keyboard is going to sit alone on the cold hard coffee table while the Harmony is kept much closer.

It is understandable for someone to prefer the keyboard more if the Revue is used as an alternative to owning a PC. However, some of us have laptops, tablets, and computers that's already used as a "second screen" while watching TV. I would think a remote like the Tivo Slide with back lighting would be a better compromise. At least, instead of telling people to go buy a Roku. lol

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I see people complain that they don't want a keyboard when watching TV or using an internet streaming player, I get that. What I don't get, piss poor Logitech Revue, using it requires using a keyboard unless they acquire another controller of some sort. Well, yes, didn't people know the Logitech Revue comes with a keyboard when they bought it? Why buy it if you don't want to use a keyboard? It is like saying, damn basketball, I bought a basketball but I would rather play golf. The solution to that issue is purchase golf equipment, not piss and moan because you bought a basketball which is of no use when trying to play golf. Not everbody will like any product, that is a given, this one is designed for people that want to use a keyboard for its intended purpose and for people that don't, they should buy something else.

I think the TiVo slide remote is a fine remote for its intended use, it is pretty expensive but for what I use Google TV for, I want a keyboard, I love this keyboard so I bought a Revue with a keyboard, it works great for me. The TiVo slide remote would have to get much less expensive before I buy one of those, I don't like tiny little keyboards, don't use a smart phone with its little LCD keyboard either.

Since when is any given product category suppose to only consist of products that the majority of people in the world want? Why isn't it a good idea to have a Logitech Revue with a keyboard, even if only 30% or less of the Google TV market will prefer to use a Google TV with a keyboard? There are already Google TV boxes without a keyboard, the 70% that don't want a keyboard with their Google TV perhaps should be considering one of those or waiting for the box that suits their needs. I think when reviewing the Logitech Revue, any reviewer should start with a basic assumption, anybody buying a Logitech Revue understood the controller was a keyboard and the market that has purchased the product either wanted a keyboard or goofed and bought something they didn't want, then review how well the Logitech Revue works with a keyboard. Don't bother discussing how people that bought a keyboard but wanted something else won't like using a keyboard, let that group of imbeciles deal with their stupid purchase on their own. When discussing a Google TV without a keyboard, sure mention that is the way the reviewer would prefer the product and maybe even point out he believes a majority of the market would agree with his opinion.

The whole keyboard versus not having keyboard discussion and criticism of the keyboard seems really stupid to me. If the Logitech Revue is a good product when controlled with a certain remote instead of the keyboard for a market segment, sure that can be discussed and people can buy the Logitech Revue and that specific controller and the problem is solved. Those people should contact me and I will provide my shipping address and they send me the keyboard they don't like.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

I'm one of the minority then I guess that actually likes the keyboard. I have both a full sized keyboard for typing (which you do quite a bit with the device) and a touch pad. I looked at the mini-controller and could not imagine myself trying to type something in on that tiny thing. I have considered purchasing a Harmony remote just to eliminate the need for all of my others, but the mixed results with the Revue has stayed my hand. A little better compatibility and I will definitely grab one. The pricing point for me however was what finally sealed the deal. I might have been willing to pay $199 for the setup, but the $299 price was way too steep.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jameskelsey

jameskelsey New Member

I like the keyboard and can't imagine trying to type in web search's with a remote. I got mine new online for a total price of $89.99 shipped and for that price I'm happy with it and look forward to the update if it ever appears. I use the picture in picture feature quite often and it's great for watching podcast's.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't think you're of the minority, at least within this forum. However, when compare the opinions of the users of this board against people who don't even know what a forum is, then its probable you may not same the preferences. I believe that I'm more of a minority by being able understand the preferences of different people.

Personally, I think the keyboard is great when you spend a lot of time typing. After all, that innate sense of comfort with typing on a keyboard had become natural to us because that's how we've grown up to interact with a computer or typewriter. However, just as we are used to typing on keyboards, the average consumer has been accustomed to using a handheld remote to control their televisions. I find that people who use computers as part of their natural routine are more adaptive however those who don't; aren't. The proponents for a different input device (more akin to a handheld remote) don't believe that average consumer needs to, or wants to spend that much time typing to find content on their big screen televisions.

I remember after purchasing the Revue and showing it off to my friends and relatives. Seeing they reacted when I told them the keyboard is how I will be controlling television from now on. That usually ended up with playful banter and disparagement for me being "technically savvy". And to some degree, I did agree with them which lead me to purchase the Harmony 300 remote which works wonderfully with the Logitech Revue.

For example, I can quite literally push the [search] button, type in the word "beckinsale", hit [Enter] and not need to type again on that keyboard. From that point on, all I would need is the D-Pad and the multimedia playback buttons from Harmony remote for the next few hours. Hence why I use my Harmony remote more than the actual keyboard. All of my email communication, research, forum posting all of that is done on a second screen with either a tablet, notebook, or a full scale computer.

9. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

Agreed that it comes down to what you're used to. My wife will throw that remote around like a gun-slinger, but won't come near the keyboard. I've found myself recently getting used to the GTV app on my phone, but that's more of a curiosity. I still use the keyboard primarily. The feel of the satellite remote is actually awkward to me now.

10. GadgetBP

GadgetBP New Member

If you have an Android phone, you can download the Google TV App to control your Revue, which works just as well as the keyboard. In fact, you can use Google Voice in place of typing.

11. anjenaire

anjenaire New Member

I have to echo some of the comments above. I purchased the Revue mainly for the keyboard. The $99 price point was about right for the system, I might of priced the system a tad higher for the box and the keyboard, say $129.99, with the keyboard alone maybe at $79.99. I have a PC set up with Boxee and the Boxee remote. I also have a Vizio TV where the Revue is attached that has a slide out keyboard. I would have to say, I like the Revue full size keyboard better (and I am a blackberry user so thumb typing is not unusual for me) than both the Boxee remote and the Vizio slide out remote. I also have a Harmony 650 that I tried unsuccessfully to use with my TV-AVR-Cable Box-Revue combination. As a universal remote it worked fine, but the Activities based actions kept failing to remember what was on or off. I sent it to the basement and use the Revue keyboard and the cable company's remote to operate for the most part. I find I use the Revue more than my built-in apps on the Vizio TV except for the Amazon Video app.

I am trying to decide whether to purchase another Revue before they are all gone. While eagerly awaiting the update, I have enough experience with end-of-life products to know that support will wane rather quickly (see Audiotron, WD Live, ViewSonic G-Tablet, Squeezebox Duet). On the other hand, I purchased a Duet in the last 6 months and Logitech did provide a new battery under warranty and I am getting software updates still. And all of the other devices I've listed still perform the functions that they had out of the box or with final firmware update. I am happy with using the Revue to search for shows currently playing and for quick internet searches. If it handled my video content better and I could see what was coming up on the Cable offerings, it would be a perfect device for my viewing habits. I am hoping that a update to the firmware will allow the Market to provide solutions to those issues.

12. wingzofsteel

wingzofsteel New Member

Very happy with the Logitech keyboard. That was the deciding factor over the Sony solution. I like that it controls everything on a simple AA battery. I especially like the double-tap scratch pad.

13. Craysh

Craysh New Member

I think that the controller is indeed an important thing that needs to be addressed.

The rest of my system uses my harmony. I love the fact that my ReVue can be controlled by my harmony.

Yes, sometimes I need to get out my keyboard when I'm setting things how I like them, but generally I can sit back and relax with my Harmony remote.

• Like Like x 2