Quantcast

Disney is Coming to Google TV

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

[​IMG]

11/09/2011

Disney Interactive and YouTube announced this week that they are teaming up in a multi-million dollar deal to produce original content for YouTube. Together they plan to spend $10-$15 million producing original video content. The debut of original Disney programming on YouTube will be accompanied by a re-launch of Disney.com in fall of 2012.

“With online video consumption exploding and YouTube at the center of that trend, we see an opportunity for Disney Interactive and YouTube to bring Disney’s legacy of storytelling to a new generation of families and Disney enthusiasts on the platforms they prefer. As we prepare to re-launch Disney.com in fall 2012, the Disney/YouTube destination will play a critical part in our next generation platform.” – Jimmy Pitaro, Co-President of Disney Interactive

[​IMG]
    This means that Disney is coming to Google TV by proxy, as all YouTube content is available for streaming on Google TV. It’s a surprising move by Disney, as they were among the motley crew of networks that decided to block their streaming video content from Google TV in October of last year. Even today as I’m writing this, I can not access Disney.com from my Google TV.

While this is a small deal, and not likely to bring Disney’s biggest stars to YouTube just yet, Google TV users will at the very least be able to look forward to original content featuring Disney’s small time characters like Swampy from “Where’s My Water”. Perhaps (and hopefully) this is a signal of warming relations between Disney and Google TV and we will see more and more networks bringing content to the platform.

SOURCE

2. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

If you cant buy Hulu team up with all their content providers.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Good news of course.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

While this is definitely a positive development - it is not quite as big a development as if the Disney web site would stop blocking Google TV. The content on the Disney web site includes 'higher valued' content from their cable channel. So it's not like Google TV is specifically getting a Disney app (to view content from their web site). But rather this will be new YouTube content available to anyone with internet access. But I really like the idea of Google 'beefing up' the content on YouTube.

5. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

They have to do something