Quantcast

Dish Network

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by cdvana, Feb 16, 2012.

1. cdvana

cdvana New Member

Hi All,

I'm new to GTV and am loving it. I have Dish Network and am paying the $4 integration fee.

I had Comcast for about a week with GTV and it worked fine expect I wasnt able to see recordings in the search and wasnt able to record from the TV and Movies app.

Does anyone know if I move the Integration fee how GTV will behave? Will the TV and Movies app still work without DVR integration similar to what it was when I had Comcast?

Or will I not be able to see Dish Networks channels at all because that is part of the integration fee? Thanks!

2. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

(Yikes, I'm sorry. I just realized that I answered your question, assuming you had a Revue like me. If not, then please disregard!)

Great question! I wondered the same thing. :) I suspect you could easily find out by resetting your TV source, and skipping the "enhanced" integration option -- but I understand if you're worried that it might mess up your current settings. In any case, I'm running it the way you asked so I can save you the pain! Long story short: without doing anything special (other than telling the GTV that my STB is a Dish ViP 722), it automatically accesses the guide -- I mean, all of the guide info shows up during a generic search. It also IR blasts to the desired Dish channel when I select it, pretty much regardless of whether I found it by searching, using TV/Movie app, etc. Finally, however, one thing that doesn't work: if I browse to a show that is not currently on, it provides an option to "navigate to the scheduled item and set a recording" but when I choose that option, it just goes directly into the Dish guide at the current time (not the correct future time). Right channel, wrong time. :(

I should also note that it seems to behave as if the DVR does NOT exist. Which doesn't surprise me, given they aren't integrated. But that's OK -- as you know there is a DVR button on the GTV keyboard that navigates directly to it. We don't record that much, so there isn't much reason for the DVR to show up in searches. So it's a minor inconvenience at most for us.

Hope that helps. Don't hesitate to ask if there's something you want me to test!

-Matt

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  3. cdvana

cdvana New Member

Awesome reply. This is exactly what I was wondering and am glad to hear the $4 integration fee does nothing other than set your DVR quicker.
    Yes, I have a Revue and was hoping this would be the case. Thanks!

4. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

Cool. At first I was sure I was missing out on something without the "enhanced" version, but since our plan is to gradually wean ourselves off Dish (I don't know how we'll do without HBOGo...), it turns out to be no big deal. Glad to hear the answer was useful. :)

-Matt

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

You also should know that the Tv and Movies app works great using the over the air antenna and the digital tuner of google tv. The secret to getting it to work is to set the tv tuner as the default viewing device instead of the dish reciever.

I tested it by setting my tv tuner as the default and the tv and movie apps worked great. It's really great to know if all you have is an antenna and you can't get the rovi guide to work.