Quantcast

Dish Just Secured Rights To Launch An Internet TV Service

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 3, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Dish just secured rights to launch an internet TV service ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - March 3, 2014

SUMMARY: Looks like Dish had good reason to give up automated ad skipping in a retrans deal with Disney. The satellite provider just won the rights to include ABC and ESPN in an online TV service.

-- Dish and Disney confirmed a Wall Street Journal report that they've reached a retransmission agreement late Monday, and they did so with a bang: Not only does the agreement force Dish to turn off automated ad skipping for ABC shows, it also gives Dish the rights to include ABC and ESPN programming "as part of an Internet delivered, IP-based multichannel offering," according to a press release.

In other words: Dish just leapfrogged Verizon, Sony and others and sealed a deal with ABC to launch an internet-based TV service. There have been rumors for a while that Dish was looking to launch such a service, in part because it would help the company to address customers unwilling or unable to access satellite TV.

See more at: http://gigaom.com/2014/03/03/dish-just-secured-rights-to-launch-an-internet-tv-service/

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I sure hope Dish can offer a reasonably priced ESPN package for either Google TV or Roku or both. I don't want to have to buy ABC and/or Disney channels to get ESPN. ESPN3 has been better lately, or least offering more sports programming I want to watch but it isn't anything I can rely on. I have no idea how ESPN decides what to offer on the free ESPN3, the other WatchESPN channels are what I want.

This is the best news about internet TV I have heard lately, or at least has the potential to be the best news. My dream of an ESPN package without stuff I don't want my be just that, a dream and there is no chance it will happen but I can hope unless I hear it isn't going to happen.

3. CatfishRivers

4. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  5. CatfishRivers

Sony is supposed to have a deal lined up with Viacom for their planned internet TV service. So while Dish's deal with Disney/ABC/ESPN is huge (especially because of ESPN) - Viacom actually owns numerous TV channels and would offer more content compared to ABC/ESPN. So I wouldn't count Sony out of the race yet. It all depends which provider can put together the biggest package at the best price. IMO it will be very difficult to offer a package that includes ESPN for only $20 to $30 per month. We'll see....

6. ChrisG8

WatchESPN only needs to be $10/month to get my business but I think at that price, it would get huge subscription numbers. Whether or not that can make any business sense for Disney, I don't know.

7. ChrisG8

8. CatfishRivers

9. mrspock

mrspock Active Member