Quantcast

DISH & GoogleTV

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Rickaren, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Managing Your DISH Network DVR – Simplified with GoogleTV

December 27, 2010

It’s not as though DISH Network makes it incredibly hard to record your favorite TV shows and schedule upcoming programming, especially with the recent introduction of the DISH Remote Access app. However, the Logitech Revue with GoogleTV simplifies the DVR management process even further for DISH Network subscribers, with an exclusive feature that combines Internet integration with your TV set as Google “talks” to your DVR.

The Logitech Revue comes with a remote which is basically a small keypad; it includes a “search” button which you can press to bring up a search bar similar to what’s used on Google already. Just type the name of your favorite TV show or actor in the search bar and watch as the most relevant results will appear on your TV screen including a listing of upcoming air dates. With your user-friendly Logitech Revue remote, you can select the next air date on broadcast TV for your show to be recorded. The following screen shot is an example of what you can expect to see after selecting your recording (via Search Engine Land):
    [​IMG]Your recording will then be established after hitting “OK,” at which point GoogleTV will communicate with your DISH DVR to record future episodes of the TV show you previously selected.

The Logitech Revue team plans to be at the Consumer Electronics Show in January to showcase the Logitech Revue with GoogleTV, dispelling any rumors of halted production. You can find other articles on the Logitech Revue with GoogleTV and its various features throughout our blog, from video conferencing to apps on your TV.

LINK:

DISH Network DVR features are exclusive to Logitech Revue with GoogleTV | Dish Network News Blog, DishTV Deals, DishNetwork Installation Tips

2. Augster

Augster New Member

The "integration" with Dish Network, as I understand it, is $4 per month.

Not worth it IMO.

FYI.

3. SpyderMS

SpyderMS New Member

Original MSRP: $299

Dish Network Price: $179 + $4/mo for 24 months = $275

Worth it for me for the two years I'm under contract. After that... we'll see.

4. Augster

Augster New Member

The Revue is $229 + tax at Costco. And the next generation of it within the next year will most likely cost less as competition starts.

5. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

That's a great price point. I paid $179 through Dish and got another one for the same price as I needed one in my bedroom. I had Boxee Box in my bedroom but had to give it up due to the browser's functionality. I'm very happy with both Revues.

6. bfready

bfready New Member

I just setup up my Revue w/ the VIP722 that Dish Network provided us. When it asked for the make of receiver, it did not list "dish network." Anyone else not find their receiver that was purchased/installed through dish network? I did it manually and it seems to be working fine, but was surprised that the company that advertises and charges for GoogleTV integration, doesn't even have their dvr's on GTV's list.

7. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

8. SpyderMS

SpyderMS New Member

It is now, but it wasn't when I bought it. It would've still cost me more than I will pay in the long run even with the added charge, and I got it early :) With everyone dropping the price, its entirely possible that Dish will sell it for closer to $100 soon, which could really help sell it over similarly priced competitors.

9. bfready

bfready New Member

sparkyscott21,

Thanks a lot for the link. My remote address was 2, so I changed it to 1; however, it still does not see my settop box (DISH VIP-722) when going to the source setup window in settings. It scans but nothing shows up afterwards. Even when I add manually (which you can see my model in the manual setup) it doesn't show anything to select.

Honestly, I thought what I was experiencing now was the "enhanced" integration. However, I see in the screen shot of the DVR being set to record IN the GTV environment, rather than the regular settop box/dish environment, I am pretty sure I don't have it set up right.

10. pls1223

pls1223 New Member

how do I manually set up dist DVR VIP 722k with Google sony blu ray? Initial set up didn't integrate as detailed above.

11. sparkyscott21

Well, bfready, maybe a system reboot and then start over?? Just a thought.
    Did you call Dish and ask them yet?
    pls1223, did you try this link from the beginning??

Revue Customer Care-Answers
    I personally own a Revue, so I am just starting to catch up on the sony's..

12. bfready

bfready New Member

You couldn't find it in the vendor list when it asks what type of AVR you have, right? If so, I am having similar issues. I THINK I have basic integration now. Does anyone know what the difference between basic and full/enhanced integration exactly?

13. bfready

bfready New Member

Sparkyscott21, No I didn't reset yet! I thought I did, but I remember that the last time I reset was changing the resolution which was before the remote address change. Going to try later... Wife is tired of me messing with the thing (disrupts the TV watching haha).

Thanks for your help.

14. sparkyscott21

No problem.
    Just let me know how it all turns out, or if you need more help..

15. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

I know if you have your GTV setup as Full Integration with Dish Network, you can check your recordings by doing a DVR search and the recordings will also show up in your search results.

You can also check your Dish Network bill online under your account \ billing. There will be a $4.00 charge per month included in your itemized list.

16. bfready

bfready New Member

I guess I do have full integration! Because I can see my recordings when I search for it. I know I am paying the integration fee, but it wouldn't be the first time I am being charged for something I'm not doing! haha

17. sparkyscott21

Cool Dogs!
    So, everything is working a-ok now then?

18. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

Conversely, if Dish is charging you for integration then you can be sure that you have the option weather you ordered it or not. Dish put the charge on my bill without asking me if I wanted it in the first place. I had to get it removed as I think its a waste of money IMO. But each person has their opinion and reasons for wanting it.

19. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

If you buy a subsidized Revue through DISH i would assume you agreed in the purchase to the $4 a month charge for some amount of time in the fine print. I am not a DISH customer, but I assume there is a reason they can bring the product out to it's customers for almost 50% off the original pricing.

edit:

Did a quick search and I was correct...
    *MSPR is $299, discounted price is for DISH Network customers only. Limit one per account. Monthly DVR Integration Service will apply. Requires broadband Internet. Available with compatible DISH Network receiver models only (ViP® 622, 722, 722k). Restrictions may apply for existing customers to upgrade. Subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
    © 2010, DISH Network L.L.C. All rights reserved. Google TV is a trademark of Google Inc. Logitech, the Logitech logo, and other Logitech marks are owned by Logitech and may not be registered.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  20. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

DISH Network First to Provide Live TV on Android Tablets

Posted by Francis Rey on January 23, 2011

[​IMG]Last week, DISH Network announced that its free app Remote Access is extending support for Android-based tablet computers, allowing DISH Network customers to watch live TV on supported devices.

DISH Network customers having broadband-connected, Sling-enabled devices such as the Sling Adapter, a small place-shifting device that matches DISH Network’s ViP 722 or 722k HD DVRs, have the comfort of viewing live and recorded TV on tablet screens powered by Google’s Android mobile operating system.

Ira Bahr, DISH Network’s Chief Marketing Officer, says, “DISH Network is the only pay-TV provider to offer a true TV everywhere solution, and now we’ve optimized that experience for the larger screen size of the Android tablets. Now Dish Network customers can enjoy their TV Everywhere experience on tablets like the Galaxy Tab, as well as the dozens of new Android-based tablet devices soon to be introduced.”

Other than that, DISH Remote Access app provides customers, who own supported DVRs, browsing ability of up to nine programming days, delete multiple receiver shows, handle conflicts, schedule recordings and convert Android-based tablets into remote control devices.

SOURCE