Quantcast

Disappointed with this generation's Google TV boxes, first gen was better.

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by RandomBlue, May 29, 2013.

1. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

This generation's GTV boxes are extremely disappointing. I've tried three of the major boxes and all of them have issues. My old GoogleTV box, the Sony NSZ-GT1 works great. It controls all my devices perfectly, is fast and has locked up only once or twice in over a year of use. Here are the boxes I've tried and the issues I've had with them:

Vizio Costar

1. Box locks up often, requiring a power cycle to fix.
    2. No power indicator on the front of the device.
    3. No DVR button on the remote.
    4. The Live TV button does nothing after switching to TV mode - On the NSZ-GT1 this sends the Live TV command to the DVR
    5. The Live TV command from the menu or programmable buttons do nothing on the Tivo Premiere, the only way to get to live TV from a Tivo menu is to open and close the guide.

Sony NSZ-GS7

1. Doesn't respond to HDMI CEC wake/power on command after sleeping an extended period (like overnight) or at other random times
    2. Prevents my receiver from properly responding to HDMI power on commands, none of the other devices had this issue
    3. Occasionally freezes up requiring a manual power cycle (happens much less often than the Co-star)
    4. No record or stop button on the remote
    5. Pressing function-power doesn't power on/off the receiver like it should. Others have reported this issue.
    6. Pressing the TV button when already in TV mode doesn't correspond to the Tivo's Live TV button like on the NSZ-GT1
    7. The fast forward and rewind buttons being under the touchpad sucks.

Asus Cube

1. Cool looking interface that has horrible usability for non techies. My wife took one look and said nope.
    2. No Amazon Instant Video app (though of course the NSZ-GT1 doesn't have that either)
    3. No DVR button
    4. The arrow and color buttons being part of the touchpad are lousy
    5. Way too easy to press the voice search button when holding the remote normally as a right hander
    6. TV\STB button won't turn the TV on or off, just get an error message saying it can't do that via IR

The main issues are the locking up problems and the lack of good DVR control. I would be surprised if there wasn't greater than 90% correlation between Google TV owners and DVR owners. Pretty much every cable and satellite provider offers DVRs for a modest fee and Tivo is a big name DVR.

The lockup problems are most likely due to heat, but that's a problem with their fanless designs. That was a huge mistake. There are a large number of people with enclosed AV cabinets (with ventilation) that will experience problems with these devices because of it. Apparently anything above mid-70's ambient temperature can cause issues. My AV cabinet is ventilated and has never caused heat issues with any other devices including the notoriously overheating XBox 360 (bought at launch, so original design).

The only reason why I'm even looking at the new boxes is because the first gen boxes have basically been abandoned.

My setup:

Panasonic ST30 series TV
    Denon AVR890 Receiver
    Tivo Premier

Configuration (all HDMI with HDMI CEC power control enabled except the Tivo):

Tivo->Google TV Box->receiver->TV

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I keep my NSZ-GS7 in the open and well ventilated and have no overheating issues at all. Overall I consider the Sony NSZ-GS7 a slight improvement over the NSZ-GT1, not enough that I will replace all my first generation boxes with second generation boxes. I think the Marvell Armada 1500 processor is just not enough of an improvement, so waiting for the third generation makes sense for happy owners of first gen boxes.

As far as first gen boxes not being supported, as far as I know, I can do everything I could ever do with my first gen boxes and have seen a number of bug fixes over the years, including some in the last year so I have no complaints. My TiVoHD hasn't had a new feature added in years so I don't expect discontinued models to get new features, only bug fixes. I don't know whether the third generation will be enough of a jump to make me retire the first gen boxes or not.

As far as HDMI-CEC not working as hoped, if that is an issue with the NSZ-GS7, report it to Sony customer support. I am not sure how to know which device is at fault when an HDMI feature doesn't work but if you can pin it down and prove it to Sony, hopefully you can get a fix. I don't think I have any HDMI-CEC devices connected in the system with a Sony NSZ-GS7, I just power off everything with IR and use the Logitech K700 for operation rather than the supplied Bluetooth controller. The NSZ-GS7 just runs all of the time when in use and goes into a deep sleep when not in use. I can live with it as is but if improvements are needed, hopefully Sony will listen.

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I actually thought my Logitech Revue was dying. But then I noticed that all my Broadband speeds had decreased. Pages just wouldn't load. When I encountered Wisdom's posts, Chrome would simply bug out and Force Close. And in the Project Free thread, I was encountering multiple Flash Plugin crashes. Now, I know never to blame any device w/out troubleshooting from the most basic to the more intensive.

I called Cox and they checked my signal. Then they asked me to connect my computer directly into the Cox modem. My speed went from 1MB to 24 MB. It was the router. So, I'm thinking that I need to replace a router I'd had for only a few months. But I reset the Belkin 150 and a few hours later my speed was back to full speed. I can't figure out why this router brought my speed down from 24 MB to 1-3 MB.

Routers are new to me. I'm wondering if someone may be piggy backing on my broadband network. Anybody have this happen?

Carl

4. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

Tested the Asus Cube on my main setup tonight and added a couple more issues (#5 and #6). HDMI CEC seemed to be OK but due mainly to issue #5 my wife had me switch back over to the NSZ-GT1 before I could test more than an hour or so.

Hopefully the NSZ-GS8 will fix some of these shortcomings and put a freaking fan in there.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think the NSZ-GS8 will be exactly the same as the NSZ-GS7 but include the new voice control remote. I suggested that some time ago and although I hope that isn't the case, I have seen nothing that makes me believe it will be anything truly new.