Quantcast

Differences Between the NSZ-GS7 and New NSZ-GS8??

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by ulises1954, Sep 8, 2013.

1. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

Hi all,

I am would like to buy from amazon four Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV Players (priced from US$85.00 to US$100.00, used like new - condition), but have noted that SONY discontinued this NSZ-GS7 Model and now they Only offer the NSZ-GS8?

Sony Internet Streaming Blu-ray Player | Internet Player with Google TV | NSZ-GS7 Review | Sony Store

SONY sells now only the NEW Voice Remote Model NSG-MR7U, as an accesory to be use with the NSZ-GS7:

Sony Google TV Remote | Voice Remote for Streaming Player with Google TV | NSG-MR7U Review | Sony Store

So before I Place my order I would like to know:

- If the only difference between the NSZ-GS7 and the NSZ-GS8 is the NEW Voice Remote Model NSG-MR7U?

- If there are any other differences in the MAIN Units, between the New NSZ-GS8 and the Old NSZ-GS7?

- If both GS7 and GS8 MAIN Unit are similar, do you recommend to buy the 4 NSZ-GS7 units and then get 4 separate NSG-MR7U voice remotes from the Sony-Style Store?

- If is true that both the GS7 and the GS8 Google TV Players, will receive the latest announced Jelly-Bean and Chrome updates?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

Only difference is the 8 is packaged with the remote. No one knows what will be updated or when.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google has stated that all second generation GTV devices will get the Jellybean update. The Sony NSZ-GS8 is a second generation GTV device. As far as timing - the news articles back in May mentioned that the Jellybean update would roll out in the third quarter. However I don't think the timeline is set in stone. I saw a few articles more recently that said the Jellybean update would be rolled out "by-the-end-of-year". I remember Google kept missing time projections several times for the GTV Honeycomb update. We'll just have to wait and see.

4. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

Thanks CatfishRivers and Jarhead for the fast reply!

So Apparently both the GS7 and the GS8 MAIN Unit are identical and only the remote is different?..

That means that also the NSZ-GS7 will get the Jelly-Bean and Chrome updates this year?

As I mentioned before, I was planning to get the $49.95 NSG-MR7U Voice Remotes from the Sony Style Store... However I have found a similar remote from MELE that apparently also comes with voice and is cheaper ($37.97) than the Sony:

Mele F10-PRO 2.4G Air Mouse Wireless Keyboard 2 in 1 Intelligent Voice with IR Remote Control for PC TV Media Player

Amazon.com : Mele F10-PRO 2.4G Air Mouse Wireless Keyboard 2 in 1 Intelligent Voice with IR Remote Control for PC TV Media Player : Computers & Accessories

Does anyone have tested the Mele F10 Pro with the Sony NSZ-GS7?

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

Again, NO ONE knows which devices will get the update. It's not up to Google to update them, it's up to the manufacturer. So Google can say whatever they want. If Sony says No, then the answer is No.
    Also, there's been reports that the update was already given to the manufacturers so Google is really out of the decision if that is true.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

While perhaps your answer is technically correct - IMO it is misleading. Sony already has a new GTV device that just recently passed through the FCC - it's called the NSZ-GU1 (not released yet).

So Sony obviously plans on sticking with the GTV platform. It would be a very bad decision business-wise if Sony were to abandon the NSZ-GS8 without updating it to Jellybean. Consumers would lose confidence in purchasing any new Sony GTV devices such as the upcoming NSZ-GU1. In fact not updating the NSZ-GS8 to Jellybean would create negative PR that tarnishes the entire Sony brand.

It's virtually a lock that the NSZ-GS8 will get the update.

Nobody knows for certain that the sun will rise tomorrow either - but it always does -:)

7. drhill

drhill Member

It's likely all Gen 2 devices will get the update because they all have the same hardware (LG might have some differences, but I'm not even sure that's true).

Btw, the 20th is the 5 year anniversary of android. Fingers crossed for some announcements for GTV and Nexus phones/watches (hopefully Verizon or I might drop my unlimited data since their service isn't that great).

8. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

Wow, you are putting all kinds of words in my mouth. Never said it wouldn't get the update. I said NO ONE KNOWS. That's it.

9. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

Thanks all for the information about the differences between the NSZ-GS7/NSZ-GS8 and the forthcoming Jellybean update!

Don't know if someone here has noticed, but Mardukeme mentioned that he just received Today a New Sony GoogleTV update release 11, that now his model number has changed and is listed as NSZ-GS7/GS8, but still on Firmware 3.2:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-s-nsz-gs8-nsz-gs7/8496-sony-nsz-gs7-updated-rel11.html

However Sony only have the description for version 10 released 6/29/2013, as latest update for Google TV NSZ-GS7/GS8 at Sony support:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...te_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

So, apparently now both the GS7 and the GS8 Units, are listed with the same name NSZ-GS7/GS8?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  10. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013