Quantcast

Did Google Fail To Impress Google TV Fans at I/O 2012?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 7, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Did Google fail to impress Google TV fans at IO 2012? (click for full article)

"Android fans were short of breath at this Google IO's keynotes. What is not to love? We got some Android 4.1 Jelly Bean goodness, the $200 Nexus 7 and the Nexus Q were announced and the Google Glass announcements were one hell of a show (with skydivers, bikers and all). But Google forgot about one very important thing at Google IO, and apparently, so did we (surrounded by so much hype). There was no mention of anything related to Google TV."

2. drhill

drhill Member

Yes.

Last year it was thought (wrongly) that ICS would integrate the Google TV platform the same way tablets and phones were integrated. This would have made the platform more lively. Instead we are in a mirrored position as last year. On a OS that is a year old with only promises of updates later. Only this year the promise is a slightly updated Google Play for renting/owning videos... something that should have been on the platform since the start.

Makes me sad, but none of the competing platforms has as much promise (haha) or meets my needs.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about ICS and how to integrate various Android devices, but I am one the biggest Google TV fans so yes, I was very impressed with what I have seen with the new Google TV hardware including what little I saw from Google I/O. I still need to load Android on my TouchPad so I can move forward from Google TV being my only Android devices.

4. bidger

bidger Member

I've had ICS ported to my HP Touch pad since late Winter. Delay no longer because it adds so much to the tablet experience, IMO.

5. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I really don't see Google TV being promoted anywhere in the main stream media. Its really sad and if this keeps up it will end up being one of those 'tried but failed' products by Google.

6. CatfishRivers

I agree. The promotion doesn't seem to be very strong currently.

Best Buy was an original GTV partner and currently they have no GTV products listed on their web site. (The LG GTV televisions are not currently in Best Buy stores). Hopefully the new Sony GTV box will be in Best Buy stores?

Amazon has none of the LG GTV televisions. They don't list the 55" model and they list the 47" model - but apparently it's out of stock.

From the LG web site - and then clicking for their "smart tv" section - they have 22 of their own smart TVs listed - but none of the GTV televisions are on their smart TV list. To find the GTV televisions (on the LG web site) - one must type "Google TV" into their search box. So it seems to me the GTV models are pushed to the side as an afterthought:

Smart TV: Compare LG's Smart TVs | LG USA

Initially the Vizio Co-Star GTV box will only be available from the Vizio web site. But will it ultimately be available at Walmart stores? This could give it a big boost... And from Amazon?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  7. ChrisG8

Thanks, I tried once and apparently one of the files I downloaded to the computer wasn't right, it wouldn't execute the load the software command to the TouchPad. I haven't gotten around to downloading the files again and trying again but I will someday.

8. ChrisG8

I am afraid Google TV isn't the type of product that can be promoted heavily, profits on the hardware are slim and profits on the software aren't much either, it will take the Android developers creating great apps and communication among the Android user group spreading like wildfire. I love my Google TV boxes so much, in conjunction with TiVo and OTA, and a laptop, I am not having any problem finding more than enough to watch. I know Google TV works great with cable and satellite also but I am not part of that market.

9. CatfishRivers

Maybe so - but it seems to me if LG was serious about their GTV televisions - at the very least they could have their GTV televisions displayed prominently on their web site - so at least they could be seen.

It wouldn't cost LG any extra promotional money to at least display the GTV televisions on their own web site. This way a casual prospective buyer browsing the LG web site would "come across" GTV televisions and at least know they exist.

As I mentioned the only way to find the LG GTV televisions on their very own web site is by doing a specific search for "Google TV". They can't be found just by browsing the site. There are only a relatively small base of hard core Google TV fans out there (that would even know to type a special search for GTV on the LG site) - the product will never gain wide adoption by being marketed in this manner.

10. CatfishRivers

OK it's time for a positive Google TV article to cheer everyone up! -:)

Google TV will not fail again (click for full article)

"Talking about generation one, there were a few key elements and conditions that existed then that have changed in gen two," said Guarav Shah, General Manager for Marvell's Digital Entertainment Business Unit.

"First and foremost, there were only two OEMs using the first generation implementation from Google. The user interface was not as intuitive, and there were a lot of issues with it. I think having only two OEMs definitely was one of the key reasons that gen one had such a short life.

Now there's Sony, Vizio, and LG -albeit with their own silicon-- behind them, and there's a significant number of OEMS coming out that we're working with that we're not at liberty to discuss at this point. Moving from the middle of July through the rest of the year, there will be other OEMs announcing their products."