Quantcast

Details Of Google's Nexus Tablet Start Appearing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 31, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Details of Google's Nexus Tablet start appearing — Mobile Technology News (click for full article)

"Although not officially announced yet, some details of an anticipated Google Nexus Tablet are surfacing online. Rightware, a benchmarking site, has records of what appear to be an Asus-built slate running Android 4.1 on Nvidia's Tegra 3 processor. Server logs from various websites - including ours, which shows 92 recent hits from Android 4.1 devices in California where Google is based - show that such a device currently is being tested through web browsing. So what do we know about the Nexus Tablet?

Manufacturer and chip

The Asus-Nvidia aspects shouldn't be a total surprise. At this year's Consumer Electronics Show, Asus showed off a 7-inch, $249 Android tablet powered by Nvidia's Tegra 3 chip. To date, the company hasn't launched the device and there were reports that Google was interested in it for a Nexus product. That makes sense as Google doesn't have to start from scratch for a low-cost, small slate. The Tegra 3 should be more than capable for a 7-inch Android tablet; it currently powers the Asus Transformer Prime admirably. Short of Samsung, Asus may be the top seller Android tablets, particularly if you rule out the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet, which hide Android under heavily customized interfaces. Simply put, Asus is a strong partner for Google to debut its first Nexus Tablet.

Screen resolution

Benchmark tests show the device name to be "Nexus 7", indicating a 7-inch screen size, along with a resolution of 1280 x 768. Again, that's a reasonable specification for a low-priced slate. The higher the resolution, the more costly the screen component would be. I wouldn't expect a Nexus Tablet with higher resolution, at least not at a $249 or less price tag. Android 4.0 and supporting apps run perfectly fine on 1280 x 768 based in my experience.

My Galaxy Nexus uses 1280 x 720 while my Galaxy Tab 7.7 display is 1280 x 800. Based on our own server logs, there's an outside chance the tablet will use the latter resolution. Either that, or someone is testing 1280 x 800 Android 4.1 smartphones on our site; perhaps the next Nexus handsets from hardware partners that Google will sell directly.

Which dessert is being served and who's helping?

Google names its Android versions after tasty treats, but it appears that Android 4.1 isn't Ice Cream Sandwich. Instead, it will be Jelly Bean, which Google is likely to show off next month at its Google I/O developer event.

Aside from further optimizations, I'd expect Google's Chrome browser to become the default app for using the web and it's possible that Google brings a true competitor to Apple's Siri voice assistant, reportedly named "Majel," says AndroidAndMe. Indeed, Google bought CleverSense, an artificial intelligence recommendation service, in December, which could boost Google's Voice Search capability into a full-blown virtual assistant.

What we don't know

Obviously there are more details missing, but we can make some fairly safe assumptions about the potential device. First, is the price: It won't be greater than $249; I suspect Google will aim for $199 if it's possible. A low price would mean some other limitations as well: Look for storage capacity to be either 8 or 16 GB. "

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

I really wish Google would come out with a Nexus Google TV box. Although perhaps the new LG televisions with GTV built in are supposed to kind of fill that role?

I found these comments from the article interesting:

" I anticipate Google selling a cable accessory to connect the slate to a high-def television. There's an outside chance of a wireless solution to pipe content to a Google TV, but the company hasn't had much success with its living room product, so that's a long shot."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the Nexus tablet certainy isn't a GTV device per se - for my own purposes (I don't use the HDMI overlay aspect of GTV) - I would be tempted to buy an android tablet with a Tegra 3 processor for $199 and connect it to my TV. This would be conditional on the features, prices and specs of the new GTV boxes when they come out.

3. CatfishRivers

Latest Google Asus Nexus tablet rumors: Quad-core Tegra 3 inside, to be given away at I/O conference | ZDNet (click for full article)

"The churning of the rumor mill has picked up pace for the rumored Google tablet. The device, supposedly the same 7-inch form factor as the Amazon Kindle Fire and manufactured by Asus, has been much discussed over the past few months, but new information has emerged ahead of a possible launch at the end of June.

The so-called Google Asus Nexus 7 tablet has popped up in the benchmarks from Rightview. According to info from its PowerBoard tool, the slate is using a quad-core Tegra 3 processor from Nvidia, running at 1.3GHz, along with an Nvidia ULP GeForce GPU that powers the 1,280×768 screen. It was running Android 4.1 JRN51B, a.k.a. Jelly Bean, unlike the Kindle Fire, which the Nexus will be priced to compete with if the $199 rumored price tag sticks.

Google might launch the Nexus 7 at its upcoming I/O conference starting on June 27, and Fudzilla is reporting that the company will be handing out free copies of the device to developers at the event. If true, that should no doubt help app development for this Nexus and other Android tablets."

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012