Quantcast

desktop version of website

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by budwha, Nov 23, 2012.

1. budwha

budwha New Member

I have had my GS7 for about a week now..........in chrome, a certain website that I like always displays its mobile version......is there a way I can force it to display the desktop site?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try changing your Chrome user agent to "generic".

3. budwha

budwha New Member

ok,......... I tried that ............didn't work.
    is there anything else I can try?

4. CatfishRivers

Try going to settings and clearing your cookies. Keep your user agent on "generic" and then try it again.

You could also try setting a custom user agent that says "desktop".

If you want to mention the URL for the web site I can try testing it out with my Logitech Revue and report back.

5. budwha

budwha New Member

I've tried all that........still no worky
    the website is Windsor Star | Latest Breaking News | Business | Sports | Canada Daily News if you want to give it a shot.......thanks

6. CatfishRivers

Hi. I tried that link you provided on my Logitech Revue and it takes me to the regular full web site version. I'm on the 3.1 OS update and I have my Chrome user agent set to "generic". I was not able to update my Revue beyond the 3.1 update (due to a corrupt firmware issue) - so I'm not sure if that is making a difference in this situation. Also I'm located in the USA.

Can you please go to your settings and long-press on the Chrome app to see what version of the Chrome app you are on and post that here. I'm on Chrome version 3.1 - 8061

Also if you go to the following web site (see link below) it will tell you what your Chrome user agent is:

Whats My User Agent?

My Chrome user agent is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.77 Safari/534.24

Do you have the same Chrome user agent as me - or is it something different?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  7. googlethis

googlethis New Member

I also get the mobile version of that site using a NSZ-GS7. Tried the things CatfishRivers said and still get the mobile version.
    Looks like I have the same Chrome user agent as Catfish too.

8. CatfishRivers

I recall in reading some of the early NSZ-ZS7 reviews - it was mentioned that the Chrome browser "automatically defaults" to mobile versions of certain web sites. Sites such as online newspapers were mentioned. I'm thinking that perhaps this is a feature that Google/Sony added to second generation GTV devices because of the inherent problems that Flash creates with loading some web pages on GTV. IMO this might be an early step towards eventually eliminating Flash on GTV.

Have you noticed this issue happening on any other web sites? That would be the true test of my theory. If it only happens on this one site - then well it could also be that there is a technical glitch just with that one web site. Strange though that we both have the same user agent and you are directed to the mobile version - while I'm not. Because of that - I'm leaning in the direction that my hunch is correct.

9. CatfishRivers

I thought of something else that you can try. I don't have a Sony NSZ-ZS7 to test it on - but it works with my Revue.

Go to: Skweezer

Enter the URL of the web site into the "Go To" bar on Skweezer and click - you will see a mobilized version of the web site.

Scroll all the way down to the very bottom of the mobilized Skweezer page - and click where it says:

"Page optimized for mobile device, click here to view without Skweezer."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doing the above procedure on my Revue from any web page - always takes me to the full desktop version.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012