Quantcast

decided to try an android tv box.. Minix Neo x5

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Scuzzo, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

i like my google tv and very happy with the sony blu ray.. but its a bit of a walled garden... i wanted something that was more open source.. looked around and for about 100 bucks Minix provides a great little machine... 2 core 16gb of space and 1 gig of ram.. runs jelly bean. supports xbmc, which is really getting traction now... and supports a full android market.. has a nice little hacker community so its been rooted and will prop get some more custom roms.. imho.. google has taken the gtv about as far as it will go.. all the fluffy voice search and stuff is nice.. but the developer community is just not there... some day.. maybe... but not right now.. right now... its just too hamstrung with lack on ndk.. its just not as fun to follow and learn about.. once you get xbmc installed on a fast enough little android box... its becomes quite apparent where the google technology could have gone.. but didnot... i still like gtv... but its well behind the curve when it comes to current technology and development... which is ok if you are not into mods and rooting and all that geeky stuff.. but man its sad how much of horse power is just left unused..

and yes this is a china made android box, and QC is not fantastic nore is build quality is cheapish plastics.. but the ports are sound and the chip set,, it dose not generate heat very much... and its kinda cool seeing the devs talk about what is being improved.. Hardware decoding perhaps a port to linux... its a great bit of tech for 100 bucks... if a little flimsy.. so what..

MiniX NEO X5 - MiniX

this thing is a chord cutter.. but still needs hulu..
    still like google tv.. but its getting stale.. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

How is the web browsing? And do videos from YouTube stream smoothly? Overall would you say it is better in terms of "glitches" compared to GTV? I mean things such as freeze-ups, shockwave crashes, reboots, etc. Thanks for your input.

My main interest is in web browsing and web streaming. As such I'm thinking I might take a look at a Chromebook/Chromebox for my next device. However I haven't decided yet.

I still like my Logitech Revue also.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. chopper

chopper Active Member

I am taking a long hard look at Archos TV Connect for my next box especially if they continue along the line of vast codec support and since Primetime is not available outside the USA! I will be watching the You Tube reviews for this device from the early adopters my Revue.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

on the web browsing, its just browsing on a tablet.. not HD.. so resolution will suffer same with youtube and netflix, but when ever you have a video source that allows you to choose a video player thats where android shines.. there are about 6 different video players to chose from that have HW acceleration, so HD play back is very nice.. and its running JB keylime will follow and has a hacker community behind it that is already putting out ROMS.. once rooted you can install add blocker.. so the flash problems will be not near as bad.. but android flash is being abandoned where that goes no one knows.. its just a fun little box that is way more versatile than any other streamer i have tried.. im hooked.. when a tegra 3 comes out.. they got my money..

and if it gets a linux it will be one heck of a desktop computer
    and its running xbmc pretty nice so the amount of streaming content is astounding.. and xbmc for android is getting better by the day..

its just a fun little box.. with lots of room to grow..

• Like Like x 2
  5. chopper

chopper Active Member

Very Interesting!

6. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

little bit of a follow up on the minix.. i have figured out how to get plex to run in xbmc. which means you can run plex with a external player such as MXplayer with HW decoding.. so right now i have access to full xbmc 1channle, ice films, and a ton others with the best media center there is.. and plex for android dose ok, but all those things that you really want on the big screen work really well too.. try flipboard on the big screen. or all those cool music apps that only run on pure android jellybean not GTVs fork of honeycomb.. as i have said.. its not a well crafted tv box.. cheap construction.. but once you pair it to a good remote or GTV revue key board its really quite fun.. and all those gray market apps work too.. if you dig that sorta stuff... NAVI-x runs well and is open to all external players,, 1channel works really well and tvportal.. uses all external players... i think that Hulu+ works but i have no need of it.. so thats about it... here is a XBMC link...

Movies Online with XBMC | Free TV Channels on XBMC
    XBMC for Android | Android XBMC Media Player

man if they would just open the ndk to the new google boxes... they have enough power to do some really cool stuff but its such a walled garden with google tv now.. its much more fun to have the whole apps store to choose from.. too bad google.. your just becoming apple..

• Like Like x 2
  7. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Thanks for the update. It sounds very interesting. Personally I'm waiting for the Ouya to hit the streets and see how it does. Not only does it already have a huge developer following, since it will be rooted out of the box, but also a lot of the major retailers are also betting on it as they have started the pre-orders. Another huge benefit is that it doesn't use a mobile/tablet version of Android but one developed specifically for Ouya.

8. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

yea i looked at the Ouya... looks cool.. but this minix was pure impulse item.. and then i say how there is a solid dev comunity behind it ,,, i may just hang out with the minix neo x5 untill the tegra4 processors hit the android market... i dont think tegra3 really was that much of a jump forward from the tegra 2 and rockchips that are out now... so far i have thrown every thing i can at the box and i have yet to see a fc or crash.. and every thing but 1080 p streams really well through the net... and they are working on that issue at the next firmware release... i def think that the non google tv android boxes are much more fun and interesting use of the technology then what google mapped out... google just moves too slow... mho...

• Like Like x 2