Quantcast

Date and time error blocking access

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Saundersric, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Saundersric

Saundersric New Member

Hello,
    I am Rick Saunders. I am the IT Director of The Children's Inn at NIH. We are a non profit hospitality house on the campus of The National Institutes of Health. We have 59 rooms where children and their families who are at NIH for study can stay for free. One of the amenities we offer is Goggle TV in their rooms. We have them connected through a Verizon FIOS HD box.
    We have the NSZ-GT1 model of the Goggle TV. Recently we have been having problems with units displaying a message on the screen that the date and time are incorrect. More concerning
    is we can't get the message off of the screen. The Goggle TV remote becomes inoperable. Since we can't get past this message we can't watch TV or use the browser or apps in the Goggle TV.
    We have removed the Goggle TV from the configuration and the TV works fine. The Goggle TV is connected to the Internet through either ethernet or Wi-Fi. How can we resolve this issue? Is there a keystroke we are missing? A reset? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Hopefully some others jump in as I have not seen this problem, but there are some terrific FAQs on the board.

I'm not sure the GT1 has a factory reset button. You may have to do it using the keyboard. Hopefully you've tried swapping the batteries in the remote control. I believe there is also a key sequence for re-pairing it in case that's been broken. You might try connecting a USB keyboard and/or mouse and see if you can't get to the "GTV Settings > Privacy & security > Factory Reset" option.

If you can get the unit reset, you shouldn't have to do much more than make sure that the option is checked to update the date & time from the internet. I suppose it could get confused if it's rebooted at a point when the internet is down, but if it doesn't fix itself, it should only need to be power cycled.

Fn+1 is supposed to be a shortcut to the settings screen.

Here's a video on pairing the remote:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  3. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

He posted the same thing 3 times using cut and paste with different topics so I am cutting and pasting the answer in all 3 posts so he does not miss it

Your getting that message due to the time change we just had recently and the simplest way to fix it is press the FN+1 to open up the settings and look in the menu where it shows "Date, Time, And Location" and uncheck the Automatic box there and recheck it and that should fix your problems.

It happens every time to me when the time change happens as the router usually will update its time automatically if set up right and the message your seeing is the tv telling you the time is off due to it noticing the hour difference all of a sudden and not being programmed to know it's supposed to happen like a computer does and hence the pop up.

The fix I mentioned should help you out but will have to be done with each tv that is affected. Most of the time when I get the popup it will take you to those settings I think and let you do that to fix the problem if you don't ignore the problem I think but may be wrong on that as it's been a while since I have seen that happen due to being used to it

4. Travel

Travel Active Member

I have the Sony GS7 connected to a FiOS cable box , but have had the Revue in the past which, as the GT1, is a first generation box. Both boxes have always automatically adjusted for time changes due to"Daylight Savings." So, from my experience it's doubtful that the root problem is time change, in and of itself.

As mentioned, most of the time the problem you're experiencing can be easily corrected by going into the GoogleTV settings "Date Time & Location" > and clicking the "Automatic" check box off and on again, and reboot.

When I had the Revue, I had this exact same problem with the date, the constant error message and resultant problems using the Chrome browser. It was so long ago that I can't remember exactly how I resolved the problem.

Assuming the remote works to the point where you can get into the home page, GoogleTV settings, I'd definitely try a "Factory Reset,"

First try:

Reboot the Router.

Check your internet connections: GoogleTV settings> "Network" > scroll down to see the list of your internet connections.

Call Fios to see if everything checks out on their end.

"Factory Reset": GoogleTV settings> "Privacy & Safety" > "Factory Data Reset"

If you've never done a factory reset, repost for some tips on saving /restoring your apps/bookmarks and making a list of your "shortcuts," beforehand.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Travel,
    I assumed it was due to the time change since his post mentioned it happening to more then one unit - That model is first gen like my old sony and hence it has the same problems my sony does with time change issues.

Hopefully that was the problem as if not doing factory resets on every device affected may want to make him just toss them out as it sounded like he had 59 of them or so based on his message and resetting 59 of them to factory defaults and then setting up each one over and over again would probably make him want to toss them especially when he posted the same thing 3 times. I know how frustrated I am from just doing a factory data reset on one google tv and would not have the patience to do it to 59 :)

That is why I thought the problem was due to the time change since it showed up after we went through a time change and is the same problem with more then one device

6. Travel

Travel Active Member

Good point. He should check with FiOS, or any Common/systemic situation.

Well, it may very have been a time change problem with your particular set-up. This "Time" error message seems to happen for various, unknown reasons. But, if it's constant, and not corrected even after clicking the "time box" off and on in the settings plus a reboot, it's probably some bug/glitch that can be corrected by a Factory Reset.

Like you say, it would be a daunting task for one individual to reset 59 boxes. I'd recommend that the original poster just give Factory Reset instructions to the 59 people, and then go back and help those who can't do it on their own; and/or get someone(s) to assist in helping out.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  7. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

My concern is he said the remote was inoperable. If it's semi-operable, then that's very different.

It's possible the batteries just ran low in all the remotes and nobody noticed until it became impossible to watch TV due to the time change prompt. The GS7's remote can get pretty flaking in low battery situations, and there were some out and out bugs that got fixed by some of the early firmware updates.

• Like Like x 2
  8. dgarci

dgarci New Member

This is interesting......

I have two GTV boxes: a Sony gs8 and a Vizio Costar and I am experiencing the problem of my date and time reverting back to 11/15/2010 at 3:00 am each time I turn of my boxes. I've been using both boxes for almost year and from time to time I've had to unclick and click the AUTOMATIC option to correct the date and time but since the recent time change that does not work anymore..... really strange. So each time I turn on my devices (I turn them off after use) I have to manually set the date and time (otherwise NetFlix and other apps for obvious reasons won't work) - very frustrating. I am using a VPN service located in a different state/ time zone but this has never been a problem before and only became so after the time change. My router/ network configuration is still the same as it was prior to experiencing this problem.

I'm curious to know if anyone else is experiencing/ has resolved this problem. I'm pretty sure this is a GTV problem since that while my other two devices (ZEKI (android) and ROKU) required an adjustment in time for the time change - they do not have any time / date issues like this.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Travel

Travel Active Member

I'm pretty sure that most of the time the root cause of the "Time" getting thrown-off problem is due to the internet connection and/or anything that can disrupt the internet connection, like a power outage that even can be an "imperceptible" power outage, or one where you were unaware of taking place.

I'd say that the fix is to, of course, go to "Date & Time" settings and unclick/click the "Automatic" box. Check your internet connections listed in GoogleTV settings, also. Then, if that doesn't work, check the router (reboot; call the cable company to check it), turn the GoogleTV box off and on; reboot the box, and finally check if your electrical power is okay. Last resort: a Factory Reset as the "Time" error message may be just a bug in general and not associated with the usual reasons for the "Time" being thrown-off.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Travel

Travel Active Member

11. Saundersric

Saundersric New Member

Thank you. I will try FN+1 and connecting a keyboard and mouse if necessary. Thanks for your help.

• Like Like x 2
  12. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

After Daylight savings the same thing happened to my Hisense TV and I had to correct the time and also re connect to the internet. I guess we will see if it happens again in the Fall.

13. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I found someone elsewhere mention all sorts of problems with their GS8 and it having problems connecting to the internet and tried everything to help him and finally he figured out that his dtv box he was using was possibly interfering with his model google tv as I think what it was doing was messing with his wifi signal as it used wifi as well so just moving the google tv farther away from his box said helped him a lot.

I guess he had it sitting right next to it or to close to it and it was giving him problems as I would have never thought of it since I have an old dish dvr that does not use wifi.