Quantcast

D-pad select

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by chicha29, Aug 27, 2011.

1. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

This section in the original post: "5 Better controlsBack in our Apple TV review, we sang the praises of using the iPhone/iPod Touch app to control it – if you’ve either device, you’ll rarely reach for the Apple TV remote. Google TV, by contrast, involves a QWERTY keyboard layout (as specified by Google), and mouse control in combination with standard arrow keys to navigate. Which is confusing to say the least. The D-pad’s Select button, for example, has nothing to do with where the mouse cursor is, but instead clicks whatever you last selected using the keyboard. Some serious integration is needed. Of course, you could always use the app to control from your phone, but better basic controls would help the uninitiated.",

contains the sentence: The D-pad’s Select button, for example, has nothing to do with where the mouse cursor is, but instead clicks whatever you last selected using the keyboard.

Can someone clarify what that sentence means? Because I want to relate something that happened the other day. I went to my bank's website to add $3.00 to a friend's cellphone number. The $3.00 went through. I cut/copied/pasted the confirmation info. (in order to save it to a gmail draft after I log out of the bank website), then went to the page containing recent bank activity to confirm the charge; but in the process of hitting back buttons, etc., that charge went through an additional two times!!! That has never happened before. I was thinking it was a problem with the bank's website. But reading the aforementioned sentence, maybe I need to be VERY careful in the future when visiting my bank's website using the Google TV keyboard.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  2. bukzin

bukzin New Member

Can someone tell me what a 'D-pad' is?

Thanks

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It is shorted term for the "Directional Pad" which is the arrow keys which surround the "OK, Select, or Enter" key (depending on your Google TV remote).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  4. bukzin

bukzin New Member

I have the Revue keyboard.

What is the small space bar just below the touchpad for?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There is no space bar below the D-pad. There is the left mouse-click button above the D-pad and the trackpad above that. Upper-left button from the D-pad is the GTV Back, the upper-right is the GTV Home, the lower-left is the GTV Bookmark, and the lower-right is the Dual View. The buttons at the very bottom of the D-pad are the multimedia controls.

6. bukzin

bukzin New Member

Right, I meant the 'space bar looking thing' just below the touchpad.

Played with it a bit and it seems like a standard 'right click, left click'
    I would find on a desktop mouse.

Is that correct? Can it do different things?

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The entire "bar" is the left-click but I already mentioned that previously.

There's no right-click in Android therefore it is not present in Google TV either.

8. bukzin

bukzin New Member

Sorry, I am a slow learner stuck in Windows land!

Thanks for the help, again.

9. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

There is a "right click" in Android. Right click in Android is achieved by a long press of the left click. It does work on GTV, but only where supported by the app. I'm currently running the leaked beta, and I can't remember where it is supported in the official release, but there are quote a few instances in the beta...

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Fine. If that's what you want to call it, then you field all the questions from people that might plug in a two (or more) button mouse into the Google TV. Only to find out that the "right-Click" button doesn't substitute as a "long key press" nor does it actually do anything.

11. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to get you all spun up... :/

My point was, while a right button on a mouse may not work with GTV, the functionality you would typically expect from a right button can still be access by holding the left button...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  12. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

I am so f'n pissed off!!! This same problem just re-occurred. I put $20.00 in a friend's phone through my bank. Because of this defective keyboard from Logitech, TWO transfers of $20.00 was placed into his cellphone!!! After the first transfer, I checked the balance on a separate page. Then, remembering that I had forgetten to cut/copy/paste the original transaction receipt, I hit the back button thre or so times until I arrived at the original transaction receipt. I c/c/p'd it, then checked my balance again. And the two transactions were showing.

So when anyone with a Logitech GTV keyboard purchases anything on the internet, be careful when you hit the backbutton (after going forward a few pages), BECAUSE THE FINANCIAL PURCHASE WILL GO THROUGH TWO OR MORE TIMES!!!

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Lol. That's the same with any internet device. The problem is actually with the web scripts ran by your financle institution. They don't use the recommend programming transaction guidelines which would prevent duplicate transactions to occur by either refreshing the page or going back and forward through your browsers history.

Seriously, this stuff was resolved over eight years ago which is why you rarely see "don't press the back button or refresh the page" warning anymore. It doesn't even happen with Domino's Pizza Ordering when your refresh their page, and yet your bank is still running those blind transactional scripts. You probably shouldn't do any web transactions with them until their web developers can catchup with the times.

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That sentence has nothing to do with your problem. Basically, its talking about the split focus between the keyboard target and the mouse pointer. While you navigate through any menu or website using the D-Pad, you're using the keyboard's focus when you press "OK/Enter". However, the mouse has its own independent focus which is based on wherever the mouse pointer is hovering and is initiated by the "left click".

That sentence assumes less intelligent people will confuse the difference between two and end up with undesirable results. For example, if they are using the keyboard focus then try to initiate the action by "left clicking", or moving the mouse pointer around and pressing "OK/Enter". It is basically laying out the idea that average person in the UK is stupid and can't figure out the difference between keyboard focus and mouse pointer.

15. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Thanks. How the hell do you know this stuff??? Well, the bank is Citibank. But the country is El Salvador. And Citi bought the predecessor financial institution more than a year ago. So they should have modernized the computer systems by now. But Citi knows these countries down here are still "banana republics" and so it is just grabbing deposits, collecting interest on money lent and not making any serious investment in its acquisition. I'll try and speak with someone in the bank about this and tell them what you wrote.