Quantcast

Cutting the premium cable TV addiction, couple of questions

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by tinman319, May 5, 2012.

1. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

Dropping premium cable TV and my cable based telephone landline next Friday. Keeping the cable company high speed internet and planning to stream most of my video needs. With the high speed internet package the cable company throws in Basic cable (local channels and limited cable selections) for free via a spliter off of the coax cable that feeds my cable modem (D/L speed is 12+ Megs so no problem with the signal being split).
    1. Is there an adapter that would allow regular coax cable to feed into an HDMI connector and into the Revue unit?
    2. If there is, would the channel guide software function with the reduced channel availability?
    Thanks!

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The Revue doesn't have any tuner, much less a cable tuner so there is no benefit to running a cable TV signal to the Revue which you can't do in any event. I am a cord cutter and love Google TV but I sure don't stream anywhere near most of my video needs, I think you are starting off with unrealistic expectations. The Revue should provide guide data for your cable channels and if you are using a cable box with HDMI output, it will accept the HDMI signal and switch between cable and internet programming if you choose, the Revue is basically a pass through with overlay, it does a nice job of combining cable with internet TV. If you are going to run the cable directly to the display, I am sure there is some benefit of using the Revue for cable information, although I don't know what that would be. I am using a TiVo with OTA, no cable, as my TV source. Speeds of 12Mbps will be great for internet streaming.

I would estimate Google TV streaming provides about 15% of my video needs, OTA, Blu-ray, DVD, Vudu, Hulu and a few other sources are also used. I also have several other streaming boxes, PS3, LG BD390, and Oppo BDP-93 in addition to my three Google TV boxes in the house. I also have a PC running PlayOn/PlayLater which can be accessed by all of my streraming boxes in addition to being used directly connected to an HDTV. Google TV is important in the mix and I love it but if that was all I had, I wouldn't have been able to drop DirecTV and find enough to watch.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

You could see if your cable company would offer you a cable box. Even though you only have basic cable - some cable companies will throw in a cable box for free with the basic cable.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

Thanks Chris. The question about the split signal into the Revue was really to see if I could get the signal routed through the Revue so that the limited cable TV selections would appear in the same programming guide as some of my other video choices. The limited basic works without a cable box so there is a coax cable for input into my TV or Revue only, unless an adapter is available.

I oversimplified my video setup going forward after cutting the cable in addition to the Logitech Revue, we have a Roku box hooked up to one TV, and our 2nd TV a Panasonic Vierra has several Internet apps for video streaming built in. For additional content I purchased a year of service from PlayOn (Hulu and others), have Netflix available on both TV's, and the free video service from Amazon with a Amazon Prime shipping account. Thanks to Catfish and others, I've also got a slew of on-line resources for TV/Movies but am always on the look out for additional content as I agree there will be a tremendous amount of programming no longer available after the switch.

I don't know much about Vudu, is it similar to Hulu Plus? I am considering adding Hulu Plus to my subscriptions, you went with Vudu, what attracted you to it?

5. ChrisG8

Vudu is a pay by the movie rental and purchase service and is the best streaming quality I have seen. Neither the Revue or your Roku are Vudu capable. I use a PS3, and LG BD390 Blu-ray player for Vudu rentals and mostly just check the daily 99 cent rental and if it is something I want, I rent it and watch it whenever within the next 30 days. I used Amazon Prime Instant Video and liked it really well but decided against renewing Amazon Prime and I don't have any monthly pay streaming services, just occasionally rent from Vudu and Amazon. Your Panasonic Viera might handle Vudu, you probably know whether or not it does. Catfish Rivers has found most of my Google TV internet TV sources and without his help, that wouldn't have been easy. I like older movies a lot, often in the public domain and that is probably the majority of my Google TV viewing.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Tinman

Cutting the cable cord is getting more difficult the longer I've been away from it. First off, they are committing folks to contracts that they never signed up for. It's part of the new way of receiving those special offers that seem free at first glance. I was charged $43.00 just to disconnect. But my monthly fee was over $150.00 a month. GTV was developed as an adjunct to cable. You can tell just by the setup program. But the cable companies reneged on any deals they had w/Google, Inc.

Now they are facing a backlash from users of the internet that are finally realizing that the cable companies are not only locking us out, but determining what mode of internet access is acceptable to them. ESPN 3 was blocked for years by Cox Cable. Finally they relented.

This is only to remind you that Cable isn't a bad way to go. But if you want to bring down the cost of yer bill for a few months, the internet w/Google TV isn't a bad short-term alternative. I'll eventually go back. But I'll never let my bill escalate beyond my minimum financial tolerance level.

Carl

7. ChrisG8

The truth is Google TV does work great in combination with cable or satellite TV and I wish everybody else, other than myself, would just use it that way. No company would care about the cord cutter using it as their primary internet TV source. My solution, dropping DirecTV and using a bunch of streaming boxes, a PC, massive disc and tape collection, and TiVo with an antenna on the roof works great as far as having programming available to watch. As far as something anybody in the household can easily use in its entirety to watch whatever, whenever, well it isn't that and it also wasnt cheap. I need to handle most startup of any streaming, although some of it is easy enough for anybody to access.

Now I am reading Hulu and various networks are likely to limit streaming to only those subscribing to a pay TV service in the not too distant future, that will change things for me if it happens. I just connected a 1TB HD to the laptop used in my system and will record as much as possible using PlayLater in case that happens. Other than TiVo recordings I have completely avoided having files saved on hard drives for viewing later but PlayLater, which is like a rudimentary DVR for streaming accessible as a PlayOn channel or plugin, that is about to change in case I get blocked out of those sites in the future. PlayLater is SD only, no HD, but most of my streaming is SD anyway.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  8. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

You probably should get a boxee box and a their live tuner and go that route as it would be easier - Their live tuner supposedly works with basic cable - It sounds like what would work in the long run.

9. bidger

bidger Member

Chris already has Lifetime on the TiVos so no further monthly cost is incurred. Once you go DVR, watching live TV is pretty much out of consideration. If Boxee ever offers adding an external drive for recording without a subscription fee, I'd consider it.