Quantcast

Crackling/hissing/popping when playing video (HDMI) and other DVD HDMI problems

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by apinel, Aug 6, 2011.

1. apinel

apinel New Member

I have a 46" Google Sony TV. I hear crackling and hissing when playing video through HDMI from website (WWII documentary). Can't post the link because I don't have enough posts.
    I have a Dell Studio laptop. In addition, I had issues with one DVD (Casablanca) where every couple of minutes the audio would go out for a few seconds. I thought it was the DVD but I think it is actually either the TV or my laptop

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel High Definition Audio HDMI driver and the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC to no avail. This problem occurs when I try to play videos from the website. Help is greatly appreciated.

Update: As I was typing this message, I went into the Intel High Definition Audio HDMI driver and altered the properties. Under the Advanced tab I changed the Default Format to 24 bit, 48,000 Hz from 16 bit, 48,000 Hz. It appears that this helped but I still hear the popping sound.

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Are you using the tv speakers for sound or some other A/V setup as if your using the tv speakers you could try turning on the tv to a tv station and see if you hear any crackling and hissing. If you hear cracking and hissing when watching other stations on the tv then the problem is probably in the speakers. That will rule out the speakers - if they work when watching other tv stations then they are not the problem.

Next try playing some other website and see if you have the same problems watching videos elsewhere - Meaning do you get cracking and hissing while playing videos else where.

Are you using a good HDMI cable with the tv as that can cause problems I have heard. Try to eliminate the problem by testing the problem on other sites or other devices as well as see if changing HDMI cables work as well. Also if you have a computer hooked up to the google tv and are using the google tv speakers, you could try setting your sound setup in the computer to stereo if it's now set up as 5.1 sound or higher since I think the tv is using stereo sound and trying to get higher sound may be causing the problem as well.

3. apinel

apinel New Member

I am playing through the Google TV speakers from my laptop. I don't see where I can change to Stereo. Under the General tab for HDMI devices there's a section where you can select supported encoder formats (DTS Audio, Dolby Digital, and Microsoft WMA). I had Dolby Digital selected. I now unselected all of them as well as unselected all of the sample rates. I also selected 16 bit 44,100 Hz (CD Quality) under the Advanced tab. After doing all this the hissing and crackling went away, and the popping is very minimal. Therefore I think it has something to do with what Trallyus stated in his last paragraph (about using a more advance sound encoder).

Update: I just played videos from You Tube and Hulu and have the same issue, so it is not isolated to that website that I was having problems with originally. I have used the Netflix app without any issues. As I said on my original post, I had issues with playing DVD where the sound would cut off for a few seconds every couple of minutes. I just tried with another DVD and noticed the same issue. With DVDs, there is not popping/hissing/crackling, just the sound cutting off.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

You would need to change to stereo on the computer your using - If you have windows. usually this can be done by clicking the speaker icon and bringing up your mixer and changing from 5.1 surround sound to stereo or stereo downmix.

By the way, if you have a set of earphones , try plugging it in to your computer and playing a dvd and surf the web and see if you notice the problem your having with the tv. If you get better sound then more then likely your computer is trying to output a 5.1 sound to a stereo tv and if you hear the same problem from the earphones as you do the tv then more then likely the problem is your computer or the sound drivers need updated.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  5. apinel

apinel New Member

There's no problem with audio from my computer. I just tried playing another DVD from my computer through the Google TV's speakers. Every couple of minutes the sound will go out for a few seconds. I wonder if it is the cable. The cable I bought was $29 HDMI Insignia in Best Buy. Is this not good enough?

6. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

I would suspect speakers for sure...Buy a cheap HDMI cable and see if that is it otherwise..

Get yourself a sound bar and I would imagine the problem should be eliminated..

Kev

7. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

In my belief on HDMI cables... I say, don't spend big money on the more expensive ones.
    Everybody I talk to, and have read, say the " cheaper " ones are just as good.. Even more so the more you spend..
    Just my [​IMG] ....

8. apinel

apinel New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. How would the sound bar eliminate the problem?

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Sound Bar wouldn't eliminate the problem, it would only divert the symptoms away from the television. The assumption is that the problem originates with the television or its speakers.

Personally, I would recommend testing your laptop on another HDMI capable television or AV Receiver. Also, you could use another HDMI capable source (like a Xbox 360, Playstation, or DVR) with the Sony Internet TV. This will allow you to use a process of elimination for determining the origin. You could also try bypassing the problem by using the optical audio connection if it exists on the laptop. However, that's only if the problem resides somewhere within the transmission, reception, or processing of the HDMI audio.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011