Quantcast

Couple questions before I buy a Sony NSZ-GS8

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Cyphermax, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

I'm thinking of picking up a Sony NSZ-GS8 and have a few questions.

First does anyone have and issues having HDMI running from cable box into Sony gtv then HDMI out to a receiver then HDMI from the receiver to a HDTV. I'm worried that I may loose video and or audio along that rather long HDMI chain. I'd rather not use optical for sound. So if anyone has this setup let me know it it works Ok.

My second question is does the bluetooth remote that comes with the Sony NSZ-GS8 work to control a PS3? I currently have a harmony one that can control my PS3 via the harmony ir to bluetooth transmitter. But if the Sony remote can replace that it would be great. Thanks in advance.

Lastly, do you guys think it's worth it picking up this stb with CES around the corner? Is there any talk of a next Gen box from Sony? The Sony NSZ-GS8 seems solid and I like the remote just hope it gets software support.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Assuming no devices in the HDMI chain that could be problematic, there should be no issues with the setup as you describe it. I have two setups with TiVo>Google TV>AVR>HDTV, both work great. As far as what Sony has planned with Google TV if anything, I haven't seen any statements from Sony but my guess is the current models, the NSZ-GS8 and NSZ-GU1 are the end of the line. Of course if something spectacular happens for Google TV, Sony would likely continue with a new model. As far as software support for the existing models, Sony is silent on that issue also. I use Sony Google TV frequently and I am certainly happy with the products and think Sony has done a great job with Google TV.

If updating the GS7 and GS8 to Jelly Bean will make the devices better and customers happier, I think it will happen. The current state of Google TV Jelly Bean is better in some respects, worse in others and not very important as it stands now in my opinion.

3. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

khanks for the great info. I've been doing a lot of research and it seems like the Sony is the best bet for Google TV. Now I just need to find out if the remote work with the PlayStation. I've been really into tasker lately and I'm excited to put it on the Sony and automate my home theater a little bit.

4. ChrisG8

The remote is Bluetooth so I assume it can be paired with the PS3 or PS4 but I sure wouldn't bother, I don't think it would work worth a hoot, if at all. I have a PS3 and NSZ-GS7 and don't use the NSG-MR5U remote with the PS3 and I can't imagine I ever will. I do think Sony makes the best Google TV boxes.

5. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

The only time I will be using the remote with the ps3 is if I'm going to watch a Blu-ray otherwise the Sony NSZ-GS8 has all my other streaming needs right on hand. Does the ir blaster work good? I have my equipment stacked vertically on a rack separated by glass shelves and my TV is up on a mantel. Not sure where I can position the blaster so everything gets the commands.

6. ChrisG8

I needed a triple IR transmitter so that is what I use, my AVR, TiVo and display just couldn't be controlled by the single emitter cable. With your setup, you might need the same but you can try the single emitter cable first. This IR cable with triple emitters is the one I use, it needs very precise placement, the signal strength is not great but once placed properly it does the job.

Triple IR Emitter Mini Stick on Infrared Blink Eye Cable | eBay

7. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I haven't confirmed it, but I wouldn't count on it. Maybe if the PS3 used as the input, but then you couldn't control your cable box. If you could pair it with your PS3, you'd likely lose the pairing with the GTV.

8. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

Good point, I was thinking though, can the Sony NSZ-GS8 learn ir commands? If so it could learn the necessary ir commands from my harmony one for the ps3. Then the GS8 remote would send the bluetooth command to the gtv it would then send the ir command back put to be received by my ir to bluetooth adapter for my ps3 and voila all is right. Haha sounds feasible right?

9. jonw747

The Sony just has a device data base, and to my knowledge nobody has figured out how to modify it.

10. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

So there is know way to learn a command? Does the ps3 come up in the device list?

11. ChrisG8

The PS3 is Bluetooth, the device list is for controlling devices by IR. I know the PS3 can be controlled using a USB IR receiver and some of those may be controllable by Google TV but I haven't tried. I use the Nyko BlueWave remote with USB adapter to control a PS3 but I have never tried to set it up for control by Google TV. I want the traditional things controlled by Google TV, HDTV, DVR and AVR and screwing around testing that kind of thing is more trouble than it is worth to me. The Google TV overlay is meaningful with traditional TV sources, I can't see it being useful for PS3 output and my PS3 is connected to its own HDMI input.

12. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

No problem, if I can't control the ps3 it's not the end of the world I would just prefer having one remote for everything(makes it easier for the wife). 95%of what we watch can be done on the GS8 anyway. I really appreciate all the information. How is the Netflix streaming quality? Does it have super hd?

13. jonw747

It does support SuperHD ... I've seen it sustain as high as something like 1920x1080 at up to 5Mbps, but Netflix has some ongoing peering disputes with certain ISPs that that can drop that rate well below acceptable during prime time.

14. ChrisG8

I see 1920x1080 and 5800kbps every time I test it with Google TV here in Little Rock using Comcast. I think Google TV is a great Netflix client personally, I have several to choose from and only use Google TV. We started getting Netflix Super HD here a couple of months ago.

15. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

Excellent, thanks I appreciate it.

16. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

Ugh, now I just saw a headline rumor of Google releasing a Nexus TV in the first half of 2014. But according to the rumor it's mainly for streaming and doesn't integrate with your cable box which is a feature I really want. I didn't buy the Sony yet but I don't think I can wait six more months. I don't know what to do.

17. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Cyphermax

Yes, Google is rethinking their approach and well should they. Google TV was geared toward a cablebox friendly integration. But why should the next Gen attempt be stymied by the same things that Intel and every other attempted merger w/traditional media be replicated w/zero chance of success?

This may signal that the cable companies have won this round...

Carl

18. jonw747

If you purchasing a streaming device, do it for what it does now, not what it might do.

• Like Like x 4