Quantcast

Costar w/ FiOS multi-room DVR

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by madvad, Sep 2, 2012.

1. madvad

madvad New Member

I'm having issues accessing my DVR menu on a multi-room DVR box (i.e., not the main DVR box). When going into the menu on the costar remote, then DVR tab, the cursor turns into a no-go icon. My work around now is to use the FiOS remote to hit DVR button, which brings up the native FiOS menu. I don't want a fancy GTV menu, just being able to use a single remote would be fine for me. Any suggestions or this a known bug?

Also, is it possible to program buttons on the costar for specific functions, like the DVR menu?

Edit: chatted with tech support, tried changing codes for the box, which didn't help. I don't think there is a button to link directly to the box's DVR menu. Can someone confirm whether Costar overlays its own interface over the DVR? If so, then I think the issue may be the multi-room issue rather than misprogrammed button issue.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  2. snowman

snowman New Member

Hello, I am having issues getting the Co-Star remote to actually control the multi-room DVR. What code did you use to get this to work?

3. madvad

madvad New Member

I just entered my box's model no. (QIP7100 tried all sub models). I can use DVR buttons (play, rewind, etc.) I just can't enter the DVR menu using CoStar.

4. snowman

snowman New Member

My problem was putting Magnavox as the manufacturer. When I changed that to Verizon, it worked. I have the QIP7232 and I also can not get the list button (list of recordings) to work. Nor are the recordings listed in the TV App.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't believe it is possible for the Co-Star to know what recordings are on your DVR. Think about it, I don't think that is something that can be communicated by HDMI, it would require access to the DVRs internal data by software over your network and would likely only be possible with Verizon's permission and assistance to develop the code. I don't expect Verizon and Google to work out the terms on that feature. If any TV service has allowed this, I expect it is Dish Network but I haven't bothered to read about it. I can't access my TiVo OTA recordings list with Google TV either but I can access that information on a network computer running TiVo Desktop so that is the kind of communication that can be accomplished, it is communicated to the computer by Wi-Fi over my network. I don't know if this ability is being worked on or not but as a free feature it sure seems unlikely to me.

6. kj2005

kj2005 New Member

I have two FiOS QIP7232-2 DVRs, one is connected to the same HD monitor and the other is a multi-room DVR. Like you, I too wish the Costar could see the content, but as another poster mentioned it is not likely they will work together like this. It is nice the Costar can see Netflix content but sadly it misses out on discovering and seeing the content on these DVRs.

Like you, I'd settle for something that would at least allow me to press one button on the Costar remote to open the FiOS DVR menu but that does not seem to exist. Like you, I also experimented to no avail to get a programable key or some other workaround. Since a lot of program viewing is watching recorded content, and no so much live TV, the SKIP buttons are missed too. I wish I could use some of those apparently unused buttons on the Costar to program or associate the SKIP back and SKIP forward. If anyone finds a workaround or has a solution that would be great, otherwise we swap between the both the FiOS and remote and Costar remtoe often.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012