Quantcast

CoStar keeps crashing after hooking up WD Mybook

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Jnedbal, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jnedbal

Jnedbal New Member

It seems as though after the most recent update I cannot hook my WD MyBook 1tb external to the costar without it crashing approx. 30 seconds later. Regardless of when the usb is connected it crashes after it prepares the external hd. The television signal goes blank and the costar freezes and then forces a restart. Any ideas? (If I have the external hd unplugged the costar works as it should, and it used to work fine)

Thanks

2. 7aurelius

7aurelius New Member

Mine does the same thing.. on the hunt for answers too.. is yours by change a 3tb

3. Jnedbal

Jnedbal New Member

Mine is only 1tb. Had any luck finding anything?

4. horrorshow83

horrorshow83 New Member

My WD Elements 750GB took over three hours to be scanned and read to any point of usability, only having about 75MB free. For some reason, since the Smart RAM Booster, it's only taking an hour with 125-250 free. My 4GB stick was taking up to five minutes to scan <3GB of files; now it's scanned and fully read by PlayPoint within seconds.

I wonder if more available RAM is needed to allocate in order to scan these drives upon loading? This could explain the crash you're experiencing with a 1tb drive.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  5. Jnedbal

Jnedbal New Member

I would agree, but I have my 1tb drive split into two partitions, only one is fat32 and readable by the costar. Not to mention I didnt have much stored on it I was merely using it as a storage space for files from Mitty. Once they were used they were deleted so at max i had no more than 1 gig used on the 500gb drive.

6. horrorshow83

horrorshow83 New Member

Have you attempted any other drives? This happened last night with my HP 500GB. I only have 250 allocated for the fat32 and had to re-format; this morning, it's working fine. With only 1GB of data on this drive, you can easily salvage it, re-format, and give it a whirl; wouldn't hurt.

7. Jnedbal

Jnedbal New Member

I honestly have not tried to reformat and will certainly give it a shot. Thanks for the info. I feel like a moron for not trying that first.

8. 7aurelius

7aurelius New Member

I brought a 3tb toshiba canvio drive last week.. cloned the WD 3tb exactly one partition costar works fine with this one...

9. jschall

jschall Member

10. 7aurelius

7aurelius New Member

Yes.. Buy another brand of hard drive.. I have a toshiba which is likely hitachi and a seagate 3tb both work fine... no crashes.. soon as I hook up the wd it crashes.. I tried a different power adapter, usb cable, formatting options nothing works...