Quantcast

Copying files from PC to Revue USB Drive using ES File Explorer

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by tamanaco, Dec 16, 2011.

1. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I wanted to share my experience.

I'm able to transfer files from my laptop running Windows 7 to the Revue's USB attached drive using ES File Explorer.

1. Create a folder(s) share using Windows and put the file(s) you want to transfer in the shared folder
    2. Install ES File Explorer (I installed it from GTVHacker's Dropbox as I couldn't get it from the market)
    3. Start ES File Explorer if the top tabs (Local, LAN, FTP and Net) are not showing, hit the Menu Key and select Show Tabs
    4. Select the LAN tab an press the Menu button, Select +New, Select Server (Scan works in my Android phone, but not with the Revue)
    5. Enter the Server (PC) IP Address, User Name and Password as required - Click OK
    6. At this point you can rename the icon created to reflect the name of your computer, if you don't like the IP address - Click and Hold mouse pointer in the icon and select rename
    7. Click the icon to make sure that you have access to the files in your Windows share - Click and hold the file you want to transfer and select Copy (The clipboard tab displays below)
    8. On the top bar select the Local tab - If the middle bar displays /sdcard/ Go to left most tab in the lower bar and select it. This should put you on the Home folder (root) of the Revue
    9. Go the /mnt/media folder - There you should find a folder named usb.xxxxx (xxxx a number corresponding to your USB attached drive) Select it
    10. You should be in the root folder of your USB drive. Open the folder where you want to copy the file - Click the little tab (clipboard) below, click and hold the file and select paste.

The copying process is not very fast, so I'd only recommend this method for small files. I transferred a 770MB AVI movie and it took about 10 minutes. I guess this is a good option if you need to copy a file to the external drive, but don't feel like getting up from the sofa. There might be other ways to accomplish what I just described above, but this is the only way I know how. If there is a more efficient method, please feel free to share that method in this thread.

Btw, I tried using File Expert, but every time I tried using the networking features in crashed in my Revue. Anyone else experienced this File Expert crashes?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I haven't. Have you tried manually adding your PC's information instead of trying to use the netbios broadcasts? If that feature is important to you, you might consider reporting the issue to the developer so they are aware of the problem. It could be specific issue with your networking environment which is causing it to crash.