Quantcast

Cooling your co star

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by seanwi, Oct 16, 2012.

1. seanwi

seanwi New Member

I wondering how you guys cooling down your co star after hours of non stop working?
    Is there any device/product that will help to cool it a little bit?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Keeping it in the open and well ventilated is most important in my opinion, the same with any other consumer electronics generating heat.

3. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

I have a USB fan that the Co-Star sits on top of, at all times...I'm not sure how they released this thing without it to begin with.

4. seanwi

seanwi New Member

Can you tell me what is the exact model of this cooling fan?
    where do you connect the usb cable?

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Electronics (especially solid state) can easily withstand heat, but they have to be designed correctly. The standard commercial temperature range for electronic components is 0C to +70C. And a case that gets hot to the touch is often by design. You want the parts to dissipate their heat, not hold it in and burn up. Often a heat related failure occurs in a simple part like a resistor or a capacitor, because the design engineer didn't take in to account that those parts change with temperature. You get in trouble with ICs when heat dissipation is inadequate and the temperature inside the IC rises much higher than the case temperature. Anyway, a fanless design is IMO greatly preferable, but it needs to be done right. Fans eventually die.

6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Keep your Vizio Co-Star COOL all the time, via the Onn Laptop Cooling Fan ...! The above photo is what it looks like with the Co-Star setting directly over the cooling fan hole, Onn Laptop Cooling Pad - Walmart.com .... The 4 port USB hub is called the "USB MAN", sold at Walmart also .... Works Like a charm ....!

* Understand this now, do not connect you USB fan to any USB connection port to the Vizio Co-Star for "POWER", this is a no, no ... Connecting your USB fan to the Vizio Co-Star for "POWER" will cause it to work/play video/audio in a erratic minor ...(THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT)

7. seanwi

seanwi New Member

Where the hub connected to and get his power in order to transfer power to your co star?

8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

The USB hub is connected to the Co-Star .... Do you have the FREE app Mitty, you can download movies via a USB flash drive via the Co-Star, also you can do it with amo Navi-X For Google TV too .... The USB fan gets it's power from one of my desktop computers ....

9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I am told by one person that they are keeping their vizio cool by turning it upside down :)

10. seanwi

seanwi New Member

I don't have the mitty app,i will check it later.
    Does the cooling pad can be connect and work via usb power supply adapter in order to get his power?
    Because i don't have any pc near my co star

P.s - placing your cooling pad above your comcast cable box doesn't harm your cable box?
    Is it getting hot too?

11. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

I'm using this one ( Amazon.com: Targus Chill Mat for Netbooks AWE39US1 (Black): Electronics ) with significantly cooler results...no matter what I throw at the VCS, it doesn't burn up like it used to.

@Wisdom - what's the logic/rationale behind the interference with 'playability' if the USB fan is plugged into the VCS USB port? (I haven't seen/heard that before...)

12. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

When I tested it that way, it did not work correctly for some reason ... When I made changes, no more problems ....

13. seanwi

seanwi New Member

Can the cooling fan device can be connected/operate through usb adapter power supply?

14. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Yes, a very good ideal .....

15. seanwi

seanwi New Member

Thanks for the compliment :), strange that know one here ask or thought about that idea

P.s - placing your cooling pad above your comcast cable box doesn't harm your cable box?
    Is it getting hot too?

16. herculese1

herculese1 New Member

A fan is prob a good idea but if you cant use a fan i would suggest elevating it from the bottom of the costar only covering the center. Do not let you co star sit on somthing that will cover the vents on the bottom. if you have it on a table for example when th ehot air tried to escape it has no where to go and thats why the costar can get very hot. if you elevating it from the middle and leave the vents open the hot air will escape out of the bottom vents and have plenty of space for air to flow. i havn't tried putting it upside down however heat does rise so in theory it makes sense and may also be a solution.

17. MSmithGTV

MSmithGTV New Member

In my entertainment center I installed thermally controlled fans. When it gets hot, the fans kick on and pull out the heat and get some circulation going. I put the thermal sensor right under the costar.

18. chaspaw

chaspaw New Member

19. seanwi

seanwi New Member

20. chaspaw

chaspaw New Member

It does a decent job of it, there is a noticeable difference to the touch. Now how long this thing last not sure of, but for 20 bucks I cant complain.