Quantcast

Controlling Revue via IR (Harmony remote)

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by chiledog, Oct 27, 2011.

1. chiledog

chiledog New Member

I am trying to control Revue via a Harmony (IR) remote and I am running into trouble.

The remote works great with the rest of they system (TV, receiver, SageTV extender) but not the Revue. When I click a button on the remote it often does not register on the Revue. You have to "long" click (which often cause the 2 clicks).

I played with the setting on Harmony repeat key (under Troubleshooting->"responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally". The default value was "1" and I tried "2" - "4". With a repeat of "4" clicks it work about 50% of the time (and sometimes it registers as 2 clicks).

Do others control their Revue via a Harmony remote? Do you have this problem?

My remote is a 680 that I bought about 5 years ago. would a new remote work better?

Lastly, does anyone know where is the IR receiver on the Revue? Nothing is blocking my Revue (not even glass) and it is sitting on above of the TV.

Thanks in advance,
    chiledog

2. asmodeus

asmodeus New Member

I have an 880 that has the same problem. sometimes doesn't single click, usually double clicks. I haven't used it enough to spend the time figuring out if changing the delays in the harmony configuration would help or not.

3. chiledog

chiledog New Member

I purchased a new remote (650) that works much better with the Revue. I don't know if my old remote (680) was going bad or if something has changed in the newer remotes.

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

As far as Revue no-response to remote command? More likely duo to known IR interference issue!

Try this,

Take an old 3.5” diskette apart, remove and discard top and bottom shells and woven liners, then take the dark flexible plastic magnetic disk out and cut large piece from it (discard the Hub), bend it 90° and place it to cover Revue IR window, use clear-tap to tap around it.

Make sure you cover the entire IR window (front & top) & Point the remote directly to Revue.

The dark flexible plastic magnetic disk acts well as a filter, especially when TV or other devices censers active.

However, any IR remote with Revue will act slightly sluggish!! Hopefully this will be addressed in the coming update.

The IR receiver on the Revue is located right in the middle w/angle (front & top) u can’t miss it (use a digital camera to locate it).

Note: The above setup, assuming you’re not using Revue to control other devices (since the cover may block/weaken the out-going IR from the main port) so, that’s when IR emitters may come handy!

Cheers

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't understand where you're going with this... it sounds like a complicated form of voodoo with archaic items. Why not just recommend testing the remote through the hollow of a paper towel tube? By placing the tube against the IR sensor of the Revue and the IR blaster of the remote on the other end then outside interference is easily avoided. That way they anyone can verify it is an interference issue before having to scrounge around for legacy diskettes.

6. chiledog

chiledog New Member

I tried the paper towel tube method with no luck.

I have read other posts of people having trouble controlling the Revue via IR. I think the Revue is extra sensitive (or maybe the opposite).

Buying a new remote fixed it for me (my old remote was a 8 year old 680. The new remote was a 650).

Thanks for the comments. (looking forward to trying out GTV 2.0)

7. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Did you try with a Charmin ultra soft or a Charmin ultra strong ?

8. Hefe

Hefe New Member

I just had the same problem tonight on my new Revue. Then I was going through the settings menus, and saw that there is a setting under inputs to enable Harmony remotes, and it was disabled by default. Switched it, and voila!

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't consider that the same problem because if that option isn't enabled, the Logitech Revue will not accept any IR commands at all. Chiledog's issue is that it doesn't for a short period of time after switching inputs on the AVR.